"dexos oil" 2012 GMC sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother showed me under the hood of his new 2012 sierra 4800 vortec, I saw "dexos 1" stamped on the oil fill cap. I apologise if this topic has been covered many times before..since owning a diesel pickup now for almost 3 years, I havent been up to speed with the PCMO oils lately.. A quick google search showed me that quaker state and mobil 1 make a synthetic 5w30 oil with this specification that can be locally purchased at walmart stores a lot cheaper than the dealer oil. Which one would you all suggest between the two brands listed? Any UOA's to back up any comments would be appreciated! Also Im shocked that pennzoil platinum(my old favorite) and ultra dont have this approval! Unless I missed it?
-Ponch

Either oil will be good for the 4.8 engine, they are both good oils. I haven't seen the Dexos label on Pennzoil products, but according to the Dexos website, both Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra are Dexos licensed oils.

Thanks guys. I went to pennzoil's website and found they have a pennzoil gold semi-synthetic oil with the dexos label...but spoke with my brother, and he is gonna go with the quaker state. I think he likes the see-thru bottles LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back