Pennzoil & GM 6094M Certification

Need some input please. I’ve been using Mobil 1 extended performance oil 5w-30 in 2006 H3 Hummer with the Vortec 3.5L5 motor this oil is clearly advertised on the bottle meeting Gm 6094m certification. I want to switch to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum since I have read it’s a slightly better oil however it does not state on the label it meets 6094m certification but pennzoil platinum oil shows dexos approval on the the label so is this the same as 6094m certification..I would prefer to use pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 which has no gm approval on the bottle label
would it be ok to use the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30?

I wouldn't worry at all about 6094M, it is an obsolete specification. If it's Dexos1 certified, you're good to go.

Fun fact: oil viscosity for Altas engines were open book for the export market, allowing the use of anything between 5W-30 to 20W-50 based on anticipated ambient temperatures. The oil specification listed in the owner's manual was ACEA A3, no mention of 6094M.

My first choice on my gm 4.8 v8 has been Mobil 1 EP or 0w40 FS. Personally I purchased Pennzoil this time because that's what's on sale and I have some cold lifter tick, that I thought it was worth trying something completely different in case it makes a difference in noise. Other than that I would have stuck with the 0w40 m1. I'm not worried about the specs on a 2005 engine with over 200k.

What are we getting at using the term Better? Gm 6094m is an out dated rating. Dexos is a much more stringent rating

Need some input please. I’ve been using Mobil 1 extended performance oil 5w-30 in 2006 H3 Hummer with the Vortec 3.5L5 motor this oil is clearly advertised on the bottle meeting Gm 6094m certification. I want to switch to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum since I have read it’s a slightly better oil however it does not state on the label it meets 6094m certification but pennzoil platinum oil shows dexos approval on the the label so is this the same as 6094m certification..I would prefer to use pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 which has no gm approval on the bottle label
My feeling that slightly better could be measured in a thimble and you'd have it 1% filled. Changing oils in the Corolla which I do often have shown me a difference of zero!

6094m is an old standard that specifies a maximum cold viscosity. It became a part of the API ratings as SM. Any modern oil will meet this and GM themselves has superceded both 6094m and 4718 with dexos

It's not a slightly better oil. If anything, the Mobil EP product would be the slightly better oil, given the additional additive requirements, oxidation resistance...etc to make it extended drain capable.

Both are overkill for your application, and as others have noted, this spec has long been depreciated. The current GM spec is Dexos, which is vastly more demanding.

In any case, IIRC the GM 6094M was just a basic cold flow spec that is easily met, if not vastly exceeded by, any modern synthetic 5W-30. Dexos is probably a far more stringent spec and the one I would be focusing on...

I'm guessing your manual says to use a fully synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30 if the temp goes below -22F...

6094M is a horribly outdated spec, it essentially required slightly more stringent cold pumpability than 5W or 10W but pretty much any full synthetic will far exceed it, and Dexos1 has superseded it. I think even the cheapest SP/GF-6A 5w30 syn-blend would probably exceed 6094M. 6094M limited the MRV to 40,000cP at -35 for 5W and 50,000cP at -30 for 10W.

Well thanks for your non sarcastic reply, your info is pretty much what I was thinking an sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else..so in reality although pennzoil ultra platinum 5w-30 has no Dexos certification and pennzoil platinum does I could still use the the ultra since 6094M spec is out of date since both products likely exceed this old certification

1619388270031.jpg

It appear the MRV at -35 is like a quarter of GMs requirement, so it far exceeds the requirement.

Welcome to BITOG :)

As others already said, 6094M has been superseded by dexos1, which in turn was superseded by dexos1 gen2, or d1g2 for short.

I normally suggest the cheapest d1g2 for the OCI suggested by the OLM. Napa Synthetic is on sale for $3.79/qt for a few more days (ends 4/30) and is Valvoline. Pair it with a Napa Platinum filter (also on sale) while you're there.

Welcome to BITOG :)

As others already said, 6094M has been superseded by dexos1, which in turn was superseded by dexos1 gen2, or d1g2 for short.

I normally suggest the cheapest d1g2 for the OCI suggested by the OLM. Napa Synthetic is on sale for $3.79/qt for a few more days (ends 4/30) and is Valvoline. Pair it with a Napa Platinum filter (also on sale) while you're there.
Thanks for your help ....going with pennzoil ultra platinum an as I thought I’m not gonna worry about 6094M I just needed reassurance glad I joined this forum..it’s an eye opener

Back