Dexcool Or The Green Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '08 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L is now past 5 years old, has 34K miles on it and I believe that it is time to change the coolant. In prepping to do the job I discovered that the radiator in these vehicles do not have a drain on them and this makes the job a bit harder and more involved, and this has caused me to do a gut check and rethink the issue. I was planning to flush out all of the Dexcool and covert it over to standard ethylene glycol coolant because of I what I had heard about Dexcool in the past. Because of the amount of work, and mess, I'm starting to wonder if I should stick with the Dexcool? What's the story with the stuff, why are they using it especially considering that Prestone is supposedly good for 5 years/100,000 miles? Any adverse effects of using the green stuff in a vehicle that's designed for Dexcool? Let me know your thoughts on this.
Thanks,
Adam.

I'd stick with the dex. Among many other reasons, you'd have to do this all over again in two years with green. Five with dexcool.

Your truck has a pressurized overflow bottle so dexcool works well in those. As far as draining... remove the rear heater hose at the water pump and drain it there. Removing the lower hose wont work since the thermostat is in the way of draining. .

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Your truck has a pressurized overflow bottle so dexcool works well in those. As far as draining... remove the rear heater hose at the water pump and drain it there. Removing the lower hose wont work since the thermostat is in the way of draining. .
Thanks for pointing that out, that would have really ticked me off. Should a flushing fluid of some type be used for this, flush with water or just drain and refill?
Thanks,
Adam.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
When i did the suburban and silverado, i used the prestone dexcool at walmart after flushing and running a bit with hose

this

Get that [censored] out, and switch to Zerex G-05 of Peak Global Lifetime (If you can find it - gold bottle). Make sure to do a GOOD flush of the cooling system with water first though.

It's a 2008, so it's immune to the gasket issue. Zerex Dex Cool 50/50 and do 1 or 2 drain and fills.

Prestone is fine if you want to buy local, but i like Zerex better.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Oh boy, here come the Dexcool police! Forget the baloney, Dex is fine. Use it and forget about the whole affair...
Thanks for all of the replies much appreciated. I guess I must have read a thread by a dexcool detractor back when they were having trouble with the stuff and that's what got me thinking about putting in the green stuff, but didn't feel like flushing to crystal clear water without a drain on the radiator.

Steve, BTW, 12.79 is pretty darn impressive for a 4400 lb. truck. That beats my Corvette pretty convincingly, 13.66 is my best with the stock L98.

Adam.

Originally Posted By: Matchlight
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Oh boy, here come the Dexcool police! Forget the baloney, Dex is fine. Use it and forget about the whole affair...
Thanks for all of the replies much appreciated. I guess I must have read a thread by a dexcool detractor back when they were having trouble with the stuff and that's what got me thinking about putting in the green stuff, but didn't feel like flushing to crystal clear water without a drain on the radiator.

Steve, BTW, 12.79 is pretty darn impressive for a 4400 lb. truck. That beats my Corvette pretty convincingly, 13.66 is my best with the stock L98.

Adam.

Welcome Adam. Yep, there's a whole lot of hooey out there about death Cool but the gaskets were bad, not the coolant.

Yes, the ole sled can move pretty good for a four door luxury car!

Originally Posted By: Matchlight

ABSOLUTELY!!

But, 13.6 is not exactly slow for that vintage/engine STOCK C4 either!
thumbsup2.gif

And, yes, another vote for the Zerex Dex Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back