Dex VI vs. Mobil synthetic ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say which is better, and haven't used Mobil 1 ATF anyway, but I can comment on using Dexron VI in my non-GM transmission:

The vehicle is a 1997 Infiniti i30, with a Jatco RE4F04A transmission. The manual specifies Nissan matic-D or Dexron III.

I decided on the bargain Dexron VI, which is Supertech. I did a drain and cooler line exchange to replace the Dexron III(H) that had been in there for about 10k miles.

Here is my summary after using the Dexron VI since last August, for about 8,000 miles.

The good: Shifts are slightly better while the transmission is warming up. 1-2 loses the harshness sooner, all shifts are quick as usual, except near WOT where there have always been a little slow for my liking (no change).

Not so good: After it has warmed up thoroughly, the transmission whines where it didn't whine before. Before there was a slight whine at 35-38mph (which is still there), but now there is also a slight whine at 45-50mph and another at 65-70mph.

Why? Perhaps due to the lower viscosity of Dexron VI. I am considering a drain & fill with a higher viscosity ATF in an attempt to banish the new sounds.

I am in a similar dilemma as the original poster. I recently purchased a 2005 Toyota Camry that is still under warranty (certified) and want to change the ATF at 50K miles. Here is a question for Whitewolf. Of the following ATFs which would you recommend: 1) Genuine Toyota T-IV (made by Exxon Mobil I believe), 2) Castrol Import Multi-vehicle, or 3) Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? I have already ruled out Amsoil Universal ATF due to their claims of a "one size fits all" fluid. Thanks.

Walmart have one and you can also get it online. There are about 80 branded products out there so get back if you still can't find one. Just make sure that it's the real thing and not a 'fraud ' product. Check for a license number on the package and let me know what it is. It should look like J-XXXXX. If you give me the details I have contacts who can tell me if it's the real deal.

Whitewolf: I read your post and was confused if you were responding to my post re: recommended ATF for my Camry. All of the fluids I am considering meet the JWS-3309 standard. The PDS for Mobil 1 ATF and Castrol Import MV ATF state they exceed the requirements of the JASO-1A performance standard. However, it gets confusing for me after that because Mobil uses the word "suitable" and Castrol uses the work "recommended" (by whom?). The word "approved" is not in the literature. Since I have a warranty to consider, perhaps the safest bet is Genuine Toyota T-IV because it is an approved fluid. Any other opinions out there?

RedDart

Stick with a 3309 fluid while your transmission is under warranty. You can ask any Mobil lubes outlet to order a case of their 3309 for you...the only difference between that and T-IV is the label and maybe the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back