Depression after show ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, time to come out with it. I was actually laid off about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and have not had ANY luck finding a job. Other than cleaning, and mowing the lawn, the only things I've had to do are watch TV shows online. I'm running out of stuff to watch. I've watched many different variety of shows lately, including a few anime shows for lack of anything else. (Hey now, I'm a major nerd as well as gearhead, and no comments from the peanut gallery are required on this)

Anyway, I've noticed this lately. I've watched about 10 different series in the past 2 1/2 weeks (Most are between 13-26 episodes long, half hour usually) At the end, I feel depressed. In addition to the "Man I wish _my_ life was as exciting as this", I just feel depressed at the end. It's always been this way for me with books as well.

Does anyone else experience this? It's difficult to describe. Reason I'm posting this is because I just finished a series and now I'm feeling depressed again. -_-

Last edited:
I think I did the same thing when I had no job. I think, for me at least, it was just because I was already depressed because I had no job. So I just realized it more when I suddenly wasnt tranced by a TV show.
Now Im just depressed because I have a job and it sucks, lol. Though, the TV show I have been watching lately does not seem to do anything but make me happy. So that is a plus. Sometimes Ill come home and watch an EP while on lunch on really bad days. Or find more fanart to look at/fanfiction to read.

That's called you need to be doing something other than watching TV if you are out of work
wink.gif
Personally, I just don't watch TV.

BTW, I had no idea Best Buy did lay offs
crazy2.gif
???

Start working on computers at home. Get a job changing oil. Just do SOMETHING. Idle hands bud, idle hands..........

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I think I did the same thing when I had no job. I think, for me at least, it was just because I was already depressed because I had no job. So I just realized it more when I suddenly wasnt tranced by a TV show.
Now Im just depressed because I have a job and it sucks, lol. Though, the TV show I have been watching lately does not seem to do anything but make me happy. So that is a plus. Sometimes Ill come home and watch an EP while on lunch on really bad days. Or find more fanart to look at/fanfiction to read.

Fanfiction is good, when it exists and is high quality. Unfortunately for the shows I've watched, there really isn't much on FF dot net. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
When I say "Laid-off" I mean "terminated because they can hire new people and pay them $7.50 an hour instead of my $10.50.

Ahhh, so you were canned. Gotcha. It's OK to come out and say it like that. Not like you were planning on spending the rest of your life there anyway.

Think of this as an opportunity to stop selling people junk made in China and focus on something maybe more fulfilling? I know you had issue with that side of it, so perhaps this is for the best?

Fanfiction is good, when it exists and is high quality. Unfortunately for the shows I've watched, there really isn't much on FF dot net. Oh well.

Thankfully a fan site runs all the featured FF through prereaders so only the good stuff gets through.

Alright, time to come out with it. I was actually laid off about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and have not had ANY luck finding a job. Other than cleaning, and mowing the lawn, the only things I've had to do are watch TV shows online. I'm running out of stuff to watch. I've watched many different variety of shows lately, including a few anime shows for lack of anything else. (Hey now, I'm a major nerd as well as gearhead, and no comments from the peanut gallery are required on this)

Anyway, I've noticed this lately. I've watched about 10 different series in the past 2 1/2 weeks (Most are between 13-26 episodes long, half hour usually) At the end, I feel depressed. In addition to the "Man I wish _my_ life was as exciting as this", I just feel depressed at the end. It's always been this way for me with books as well.

Does anyone else experience this? It's difficult to describe. Reason I'm posting this is because I just finished a series and now I'm feeling depressed again. -_-

I know the feeling. Netflix is your best friend. It temporarily put you into a dream world then depresses you when it ends.

My Daughter does Harry Potter continuation stories on FF, PM me if you wanna read 'em.

Now - to the important stuff - get out there!

- In the mean time - Go volunteer at a food shelf, youth group, etc.

- make career choices, find resolve and plow forward into what you want to do in life.

I felt that way after lost took me on a ride of the best show ever on television, only to blow it in the last season by not resolving most of the mysteries that kept you watching for the first 5 seasons. It was the best show ever on tv and it was the worst!

You were canned from your job, and now you have nothing better to do than park yourself in front of a television and lament when a "show" is over? By your numbers you've wasted about half of your 2-1/2 weeks parked in front of a television-time that could have been spent pounding the pavement and filling out applications.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't something more productive you could be doing with your time, especially when you have a car payment to shell out each month.

It's in circumstances like yours that life's real winners pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and get to work. The rest sit in front of a television and get depressed.

Even working at an Apple Store beats watching TV.

24.gif

Seriously, sorry to hear about your job. This kind of thing seems to be more frequent...pushing the experienced folks out and hiring rookies, just to save on a few dollars an hour.

Might be a good time of the year to start a leaf raking/lawn cleanup business. Print some circulars, go door to door all around the area and give them to folks. You might be quite surprised how much work you get. There are also great tax advantages to running your own business.

You should have re-applied for your job at the lower rate and then found another one. Being out of work is an emotional downer that can really effect ones self worth. Stick to time on the computer searching for job posting. Good Luck!!

When I say "Laid-off" I mean "terminated because they can hire new people and pay them $7.50 an hour instead of my $10.50.

That explains the quality of typical help at Best Buy.

Losing a job is always depressing. You lose the social aspect of coworkers, job satisfaction, and large chunk of occupied time.

TV series only fill time but offer little else.

I wish you luck in your search. I have been laid off four times across my twenty year career. I suffered from high pay. In every case though except last I doubled my hourly wage but it took some time between. My current job is a 20% cut from last but more satisfying and flexible.

Definitely sucks. This is when having a passion that is free or next to free is really key.
For me, when I am feeling down, I go out on my bike, or should I say, one of my bikes. I like to hit up the trail by myself, its fall, its beautiful out. I am just using my passion as an example but cycling is good for the mind, body and soul. You would be surprised how much it helps in a time of need. I don't know what I'd do in my life without cycling. That would suck.

Gotta find something you love to help you through hard times, and of course, gotta also work hard at finding a replacement job. But of course you already knew that.

An awesome hobby/passion though will help with the rest.

Nick R,

I have experienced that. I would be addicted to a TV series or video game and then feel "blue" afterward. This was when I was out of college for a month and looking for employment. It was mainly the fact that I wasn't stimulated enough. Try doing more productive things. When you're not out looking for a job, try something new.

During the summer after college before I found my job I asked my dad to wire our shed. He agreed and I spent a few days installing electrical wiring, installing light fixtures and a few outlets in our shed and running underground conduit. I was interested in learning about that sort of thing and we had the supplies lying around to do it. I got a great sense of satisfaction about it and now it is really nice to have a shed that has lighting. I learned a lot too in the process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back