Deposit removal due to switching to Synthetic Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

I will add here (again) that I switched my engine from BMW's 5-30 Group III "Fake Synthetic" due to killer sludge build-up after 1.5 yrs. (~40k mi.) and am getting slow, but sure cleaning with M-1 (a REAL Synthetic). I will add though, that I had MUCH more noticeable 'cleaning action' with a run of Delvac 1. When quetioning Mobil, the response was "both M-1 SS and Delvac 1 have equal engine cleaning abilities". Go figure...

Dr. T,

You probably have more of a clue than the Mobil rep you questioned. The customer service reps are notorious for their poor and inaccurate knowledge of the products they represent.

cheers.gif

The SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30 I used in my 22+ year old 5.0 was removing deposits even before the engine was started. I saw flakes come off the valve cover (where your pour in the oil) right away.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Smitty:
If a full synthetic will clean an engine, will a blend like Drive Clean Blend give a "little" cleaning?

Very very little. The Drive Clean blend is only about a 10% synthetic base oil.

Even that small amount of PAO greatly improves cold weather performance and I suspect the same for the heat of summer in helping with keeping oxidation lower compared to plain old Drive Clean.

quote:

Originally posted by Giles:
I'm not sure but I thought Drive Clean for high mileage cars had a less aggressive detergent package than normal. Anyone know?

Mobil does not make a high mile engine oil but here is the additive package of the SL 10/30 Drive Clean,,not as much Mag as some but here it is FWIW- It needs one quart of Phillips 15/40 brewed into it ;)IMO of course!
smile.gif

Additives
Molybdenum 1
Sodium 0
Magnesium 13
Zinc 1030
Potassium 1
Phosphorus 869
Calcium 1900

I have a high-miler Volvo 740 that I changed over to Amsoil 10W40 at 350,000 KM. I cut the first oil filter open 10,000 KM (6200 mi.) and found an unbelievable amount of crud accumulated in the pleats. (fine granular black stuff) I then ran a dose of Auto RX in the engine and at the next 10,000 KM interval, the filter was cut open again - there was no increase in the amount of junk in the filter.

To make a long story short, it took 4 filter changes before I cut open a clean filter. (5th filter) Now, I do not know whether the base stock or the additives were responsible for the cleaning, but I do know that there was alot of cleaning going on.

1) I was surprised to see that the cleaning did not pick up noticeably with the Auto RX.

2) I was also surprised that this engine was as dirty as it was - prior to the Amsoil, it was run on Castrol Syntec at 10,000 KM drain intervals.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Dr. T,

This was addressed to Redlines who listed this as one of the advantages for synthetics, and then implied later that mineral oils were more biodegradeable than synthetics.

"synthetic base fluids provide the following advantages:

High-temperature stability
Improved wear protection
Reduced deposit formation
Improved cold-temperature flow properties
Extended service life
Waste minimization through reduced consumption
Energy conservation
Low volatility
Improved biodegradability
Viscosity control over a wide range of temperatures"

I would agree that Delvac 1 should provide more cleaning ability than its cousin M1.

MoleKule:

I didn't list improved biodegradability as an advantage of synthetic base oils, ExxonMobil did. And I never implied that mineral oils were more biodegradeable than synthetics. You said that "Mineral oils (including Group III) are not very biodegrable". I just stated the industry term that is used to describe the biodegradability of mineral oils. The smart one in the group is Dr. T who recognizes that my biodegradability comment was completely
offtopic.gif
!

68redlines73

Giles
I'm Australian distributor for Auto-Rx and wanted to see how extended cleaning periods worked. 800kms 1st clean, then 1,500kms 2nd clean and nearly 3000kms into 3rd and last clean. I had to change the PureONE filter at 2000kms as it was obviously blocked (noisy tappets). I'm surprised there is still junk to clean out.

sprintman, that's a good way to understand the product your selling
smile.gif
How many miles are on your engine and is it gas or diesel?

Interesting

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Giles
I'm Australian distributor for Auto-Rx and wanted to see how extended cleaning periods worked. 800kms 1st clean, then 1,500kms 2nd clean and nearly 3000kms into 3rd and last clean. I had to change the PureONE filter at 2000kms as it was obviously blocked (noisy tappets). I'm surprised there is still junk to clean out.

What oil was used before and how long?

I'm trying to decide if I should use A-Rx after using M1 for most of the cars life.

89 Mazda turbo 198,000kms. Oil used pre clean was Delvac 1 and before that M1 0W40 Trisyn and dino's before that ofthe 20W50, 25W70 or 15W60 variety. First and 2nd cleans done in the winter with Pennzoil 10W30 SL Purebase (first go at a 30W oil), 3rd clean Pennzoil 10W30/Castrol GTX2 20W50 dino mix (summer). Only use PureONE filters (no M1 filters here unfortunately)

quote:

Tommy, apparently Auto-RX does not work as quickly in synthetic oils

It would have been nice if that bit of information was in their instructions.

From what I have seen, I am wondering if just running a good synthetic does as much for cleaning as Auto RX does - running multiple doses of Auto RX in conventional oil and then switching back over to synthetic is not only expensive, but it is alot of playing around.

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy:

quote:

Tommy, apparently Auto-RX does not work as quickly in synthetic oils

It would have been nice if that bit of information was in their instructions.

From what I have seen, I am wondering if just running a good synthetic does as much for cleaning as Auto RX does - running multiple doses of Auto RX in conventional oil and then switching back over to synthetic is not only expensive, but it is alot of playing around.

I don't think so. It's been explained to us a few times here that oils can only do one thing, either clean or lubricate but not both. So no oil out there is really going to do a super job of cleaning up past messes, a good oil will prevent it from getting dirty in the future though. So I don't believe that if you take a sludged up old engine and just stick in synthetic, that it will ever get as clean as when using Auto-rx.

I had been using Mobil 1 for a few intervals when I first bought my used LT1 Formula, and still had a ticking valvetrain, and my first oil analysis on Maxlife showed a lot of sulfur in the oil, high iron metals, and very rapid oxidation. I ran Auto-rx, and then on my next oil analysis with Maxlife (now with the SL formula, which also has LESS detergents mind you) my sulfur went down to zero (which Terry explained to mean meant I am now getting better ring seal) my iron wear metals are cut way down (from 15ppm on a 2400 mile run down to 5ppm on a 3300 mile run!) and the oxidation went from 40% down to only 9% (keeping in mind that on the 9% result it was a longer interval too!)

So in essence, I'm a believer, my oil analysis results proved that Auto-rx works, and that Mobil 1 did not clean up my previously dirtied up engine.

Patman,

I did not say that Auto RX does not work, just that from what I saw, the Amsoil seemed to have worked as well. Regarding your Mobil 1 not cleaning well..........maybe you should have used Amsoil!
wink.gif

You can certainly clean high mileage engines using Amsoil or Redline, but it may take 10,000 miles to get the engine really clean. The thing to do is keep changing oil filters until the oil consumption stabilizes.

Very dirty oil provides a poor piston ring seal, so if oil consumption goes way up after a few thousand miles, you know the motor had heavy deposits.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back