Dented fender, any opinions on PDR please?

This is about my 2018 Nissan Rogue. Thanks for any help.

I went to Lowe's today, when I came back out of the store I saw that one of their flat carts had either rolled on its own or someone did it but I got this dent in my left front fender now. I am looking for info/input/opinions on what to do, I would rather not go through my insurance, times now are bad enough without them jacking my rate on account of something that was clearly not my fault. I have a good national reputable insurance carrier but would rather pay this myself if possible.

Any body shop guys or anyone else here that might have some input on this, whether it might be able to be done as PDR or would the fender need to be replaced at a body shop, I would appreciate the help. There is not much I can do about it but get it fixed, stuff happens and I will take care of it but do not want to file a claim and have my insurance go up if that is possible. Here's a few pictures of the damage:

20201114_174401.jpg
20201114_150613.jpg
20201114_174412.jpg
20201114_150606.jpg
20201114_174349.jpg

Nothing more I hate than irresponsible scumbags that don't respect other people's property. I would definitely go see a pdr guy and let them look at it. Maybe go to Lowe's and have a look at the security footage. Maybe you can get a license plate # of the one who let the cart roll into your car.

I think if I were in your position I would just get this repaired the traditional way at a body shop. The paint looks like it may have been damaged.

A PDR guy (a good one) can certainly fix the dent.

My concern is that based on that chip, it looks like it has quite a bit of paint on it (not Factory) and that may be a problem...

I had that happen on a 4Runner. Most certainly a shopping cart. PDR guy said because of a crease (like yours) near the fender-he couldn't fix it.

Called the Insurance company and they replaced the entire fender. Despite a perfect repair-at trade in time the used car appraiser asked about it (no OEM decal on the inside of the fender). It didn't affect trade in value what-so-ever.

I had that happen on a 4Runner. Most certainly a shopping cart. PDR guy said because of a crease (like yours) near the fender-he couldn't fix it.

Called the Insurance company and they replaced the entire fender. Despite a perfect repair-at trade in time the used car appraiser asked about it (no OEM decal on the inside of the fender). It didn't affect trade in value what-so-ever.

Odd, I've never been asked about anything like that on a trade in. I just traded a car with a cracked windshield and they didn't even mention that!

Thanks for the replies. There are no local PDR guys here, there are a few on Yelp that say they work the Orlando/Clermont area but I have no idea if they are really any good at it. The main thing I am concerned with is can a PDR place work on this, it is a nasty dent and with the dent going right across the body line like it does, and the chip must have happened as the cart slid sideways or something, I would definitely want that chip fixed too. There is a PDR/fender bender place down in Tampa that did a couple of PDR jobs for me a long time ago. Monday I will send him the pictures and see what he thinks.

I was pretty mad about it when this happened, but there is not much I can do about it now but get it fixed and move on. I just want it fixed and don't mind paying a fair price but I want the job done right. I did ask the manager at Lowe's if there was anything they could do since it was their cart that did the damage, not a door ding or accident, but he said no, they have no control over the parking lot.

Thanks for the replies. There are no local PDR guys here, there are a few on Yelp that say they work the Orlando/Clermont area but I have no idea if they are really any good at it. The main thing I am concerned with is can a PDR place work on this, it is a nasty dent and with the dent going right across the body line like it does, and the chip must have happened as the cart slid sideways or something, I would definitely want that chip fixed too. There is a PDR/fender bender place down in Tampa that did a couple of PDR jobs for me a long time ago. Monday I will send him the pictures and see what he thinks.

I was pretty mad about it when this happened, but there is not much I can do about it now but get it fixed and move on. I just want it fixed and don't mind paying a fair price but I want the job done right. I did ask the manager at Lowe's if there was anything they could do since it was their cart that did the damage, not a door ding or accident, but he said no, they have no control over the parking lot.

Yep all you can do is fix it and move on. That Lowe’s manager was incorrect though, yes the cart returns have signage saying they aren’t responsible for damage from carts to discourage people from seeking legal action. However it is still their cart that hit your vehicle and it’s their responsibility to ensure carts are not left unattended in the parking lot. Just saying, it’s not worth the legal battle for just a dent but they are responsible for these damages.

Right call a PDR guy send him pics, that damage will take 2-3 hrs. imo, offer to drive to his home and pay cash

Few things light your fuse more than leaving a perfectly good car in the parking lot and coming back to a big dent. With the dent being a front fender complete replacement is a reasonably easy option. Check junkyards for a car same color as yours. It’s a long shot but I did get lucky on one occasion.

Well....it was a $14,000 trade in at the time. Not sure if that may have played in to it.

I think it's worth a call or email to corporate. It's their lot and their carts. They have some responsibility here to prevent them from damaging customer vehicles. That's some serious damage, not just a small scratch. I won't shop at Sam's or Wal-mart for this reason, they seem to expect the customer to collect the carts in the lot. No thanks, my car will end up being the one collecting them.

This is why I don't park anywhere near the front. I also don't park downhill to prevent a rolling cart from hitting my vehicles. I call these areas in front "extreme damage zones".

If the paint is not cracked, a good PDR person will be able to fix that. You will need to research who is above average in your area. Expect it to cost over $250, depending on your market.

Here's my thread from September: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/paintless-dent-removal-pdr-results.330664/

Knock on wood, but I park far away in all parking lots. Still, bad things can happen.
For me "far away" doesn't work all the time. I make an effort to do that, and a D-bag always parks next to me! Door ding time

PDR is never 100% perfect and even if the paint is cracked you can fill it with touch-up then buff it out... so say $300 total. To put in an insurance claim might trigger a premium increase say $100 YOY at worst, ask your agent. The bigger risk as I understand it then becomes yet another claim on top of this one and subsequent much larger increase....decisions that make you want to puke.

Back