DENSO alternator -- remanufactured in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a very pleasant surprise when I went to pick up the DEMSO OEM alternator for my car from the local parts dealer Completes Plus that the label on it said it was made in Japan. Completes Plus got it directly from DENSO North America in nearby Long Beach the next day and they sold it to me for only $95 + core. On the other hand, the last alternator I bought from Toyota was remanufactured in USA and it wasn't nearly as good condition. Not to mention that when I called the local dealer, he quoted $200, with the list price being $166.19. I didn't bother to negotiate.

The manufacture quality of the alternator is excellent and top-notch, and I am wondering if it's almost brand-new except for the housing that was entirely reconditioned. I couldn't ask for a better deal for an OEM alternator. As I said, the Toyota remanufactured-in-USA DENSO I got 15 years ago wasn't in as good condition and I could see a lot of dirt on the stator coil windings.

Similarly, the DENSO spark plugs made in Japan have higher quality than the DENSO spark plugs made in USA, the latter being branded by Toyota and sold by the dealer.

IMAG1706_1.jpg

IMAG1705_1.jpg

IMAG1704_1.jpg

IMAG1703_1.jpg

IMAG1702_1.jpg

Please explain what it is you saw with the spark plugs that make you feel the made in Japan are better?

Good looking reman. Denso stuff is top notch quality, even for domestic applications (O2 sensors).

Originally Posted By: ms21043
Please explain what it is you saw with the spark plugs that make you feel the made in Japan are better?

Everyone knows Quality Control is better in Japan vs China/Mexico

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Lower-quality materials are used in the made-in-USA DENSO plugs. Plating on the made-in-Japan plugs are of higher-quality. On the other hand, US-made DENSO plugs have a dull appearance. Also, the ground-electrode centering is usually better in Japanese DENSO plus. My last set wasn't centered that greatly though.

OP compares USA made with Japan made, how can you tell by looking? If one unboxed plugs from both countries and put them in a pile, how would you know which came from where?...

That looks good, time will tell how it performs. I've always had good luck with denso first time fit products.

OP compares USA made with Japan made, how can you tell by looking? If one unboxed plugs from both countries and put them in a pile, how would you know which came from where?...

Either "USA" or "Japan" is stamped on them. As I said, Japan ones have nice, shiny plating and USA ones have dull appearance.

If they have this re-manufactured alternator in a box without the word "Reman Alternator" I can't say it is re-manufactured, it looks like band new Alternator.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Either "USA" or "Japan" is stamped on them. As I said, Japan ones have nice, shiny plating and USA ones have dull appearance.

Why should I care how shiny my spark plug is? Does this shiny appearance mean it performs better?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Why should I care how shiny my spark plug is? Does this shiny appearance mean it performs better?

....hold an Autolite/Champion plug against a NGK or Denso JDM plug, you'll see the difference.

Japanese still have pride in workmanship and the concept of "loosing face" would not allow them to put out an inferior product.
My education in Japan was an eye opening experience.
Smoky

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Apparently so. Who knew! :facepalm

Hello, The O.P. said, "... the Toyota remanufactured-in-USA DENSO I got 15 years ago wasn't in as good condition and I could see a lot of dirt on the stator coil windings."

There has to be several quality levels of rebuild shops servicing the industry. How thoroughly the subassemblies are cleaned is one contributor to cost per unit.

How diligently levels of wear are matched to mating parts (and what thresholds are used to discard or reuse a subassembly) are two others.

They get what they pay for and so do we. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back