What Plugs for 2008 Chevy 3500 Van?

Many of yall know I am a Toyota/Lexus OEM parts aficionado. With the church van I need to replace the spark plugs.
They were last replaced in 2011 about 32,000 miles ago. I'm thinking I need to replace them based on time and not
miles.

Do I go with AC Delco? I only use Denso purchased from a dealer in my vehicles. I'd definitely go to a dealer to make
the purchase if AC Delco is the best choice.

I do not think time on plugs has much effect on them , at 32000 miles if it runs fine i would leave them in and check at 50000.
In a normal world, I would easily agree. If I wait till 50,000 that would be about 2040. I don't think it's a good
idea to change your plugs every 30 years. LOL

They don't need replacing based on time. Take one out and inspect what type it is. Conventional (copper) plugs will be noticeably worn after 32,000 miles, though they often don't cause problems until much later. If they are platinum etc. they will last many more miles.

Also consider that on a V8 van some of the plugs could be difficult to reach and it is possible that the last guy didn't replace those at all.

I thought I had heard to not leave plugs in for years as they could seize up????? The owners manual just says
every 100K. Must be platinum??

I was sorta looking forward to removing the turtle...

Many of yall know I am a Toyota/Lexus OEM parts aficionado. With the church van I need to replace the spark plugs.
They were last replaced in 2011 about 32,000 miles ago. I'm thinking I need to replace them based on time and not
miles.

Do I go with AC Delco? I only use Denso purchased from a dealer in my vehicles. I'd definitely go to a dealer to make
the purchase if AC Delco is the best choice.
AC plugs or Champion. I'm a GM guy ( I'm Detroit born and bred and enough family members worked for the General for me to say GM is my preference) and have two personal experiences where two relatives got sold on hi dollar Bosch hi tech sparkplugs and had all sort of misfire experiences and the solution was simply to install el cheapo AC spark plugs.. when it comes to Jap vehicles you want NGK plugs, Denso or equivalent... not saying Denso wouldn't be fine but keeping your GM car all GM is not bad advice. :)

Since the job is difficult in that van, iridium is a MUST! It might even be worth using ruthenium.

ACDelco iridium is good, but you don't have to go to the dealer to get them. Rock Auto has them at a great price. 41-162 is actually made by NGK, and the $3 each ($24 total) rebate makes the price so good :D

Reactions: D60
there is one other method to go by.... essentially if it aint broke don't fix it, if it runs fine no sense in doing anything at all but keep driving it.. modern spark plugs go 100,000 miles or more... and you will get a cylinder misfire Check Engine code if you have a problem with the ignition system and then you fix it.. you'll probably never get there on the church van judging by the amount of time it took to get the 32 thousand miles currently on those spark plugs..

If you don't know what's in there check - pull a plug. If copper replace. If platinum or better - leave it alone. If you decide to replace and use a good platinum plug consider the van will go another 70-80k miles and perhaps more. That seems like a lifetime for that van.

In a normal world, I would easily agree. If I wait till 50,000 that would be about 2040. I don't think it's a good
idea to change your plugs every 30 years. LOL
It's a hard part sitting in what is basically a sealed environment. If plugs were sitting on the shelf NIB for 30 years would you also toss them?

That said, if you want to do it, I'd also agree with the recommendations of AC Delco iridium, and I'd definitely take advantage of any ACD rebates. IME their rebates have been smooth and quick

While your van may not get too many yearly miles, and because it’s probably a PITA to change the plugs, avoid the cheapie AC cooper plugs. I recently bought a set of 8 for a beater Chevy 350 and they were made in China.

I doubt it has anything copper or nickel. Probably at least a single platinum but since when are plugs replaced by time and not miles, and if it's based on miles how is 32k too much? Unless it actually runs bad the plugs are fine. If you wanna have a reason to wrench then go ahead but it won't make a difference.

I thought I had heard to not leave plugs in for years as they could seize up????? The owners manual just says
every 100K. Must be platinum??

I was sorta looking forward to removing the turtle...
Definitely won’t necessarily seize up but they’ll be worn down hard.

Be careful with the torque-they're likely aluminum heads. I have an AC Delco single platinum set for the '11 6.0 LS Express in my sig, but I haven't been brave or bored enough to risk changing them yet (running fine, no codes)!

I just replaced the originals on my 2008 RAV4, 113,000 miles. They were a bit fouled looking due to oil burning. Runs exactly the same after though. I honestly think the old could of just been cleaned up lol.

Back