Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
7.3's will not shear oil near as badly as 6.0. The high pressure oil system only put out about 2800psi with a good pump. 6.0's run 3800psi at a much higher oil temp causing more shearing. Now a Twin pumped 7.3 will shear nearly the same as a 6.0. Twin pumps meaning stealth or terminator twin pumps that couple 2 pumps together and also reguire custom tuning.

Hi,
in over a decade, many many million kms and some hundreds of UOAs I have not seen any version of Delvac 1 5W-40 lose viscosity - measured at 40C & 100C. It may gain some on extended OCIs in heavy high speed diesels, but never ever out of grade and always very little. Soot or Iron condemnation levels are always reached well before viscosity is a worry! Average oil temps are around 103C - highest around 112C

The heavy 500hp engines engines I refer to here have OHCs, extensive gear drive components, ceramic roller cam followers and very high pressure unit type injectors!

In petrol engine use (mainly V8 DOHC 32v or F6 DOHC 24V) and IME with other engine families it has never moved any where near out of grade at OC averages of around one year and 18kkms (11k miles)

In one Porsche 928 (DOHC V8 32v) now at three years use and 30kkms (19k miles) it is still near VOA viscosity (at 40C & 100C)

I guess we are always learning!

I've been running Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 in my Audi 2.0 FSI Turbo engine (which is a shear monster) and it's been shearing out of grade after 5K miles. As I drive roughly 6K miles per month (mostly highway), I'm very interested in extended drains. Do you think Delvac 1 would be worth a try?

Thanks!

Scott

schaeffers 9000 if your shearing that badly.

I'm not exatly sure what the difference is between the mobil TD and delvac 1?

Originally Posted By: Scott_in_WI
I've been running Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 in my Audi 2.0 FSI Turbo engine (which is a shear monster) and it's been shearing out of grade after 5K miles. As I drive roughly 6K miles per month (mostly highway), I'm very interested in extended drains. Do you think Delvac 1 would be worth a try?

Thanks!

Scott

CI-4 Plus or CJ-4? If it is CJ-4, it is different from Delvac 1.

How is the oil holding up in terms of TBN/TAN and contamination?

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
schaeffers 9000 if your shearing that badly.

I'm not exatly sure what the difference is between the mobil TD and delvac 1?

CI-4 Plus, they were the same formula.

Not sure on the differences now, but the spec sheets are definitely different.

Based on oil pressure reading using the digital readout on my dash, Delvac 1 CI4+ sheared slightly in 4000 miles, but the latest - Delvac 1 SHC - hasn't sheared at all. FWIW it has an enormous calcium level of 4700 and no Mg; I know those shouldn't have anything to do with maintaining viscosity.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Scott_in_WI
Here's the link to my latest M1 TDT UOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1643096

Ahhh yes, I commented in there as well :D

The numbers all look good, even though it DID shear. Same thing happened with my buddy's PSD I posted the UOA of recently. The oil sheared, but contamination control and "wear" were both very good for the OCI and the engine type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back