Delo 400 SAE 30 isn't so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Has anyone noticed that Delo 400 straight 30wt oil isnt all that good in terms of certifications? Look at their North American product sheets... only the 10w-30 holds the latest API certs. The straight weights meet API SL and CE, nothing better.

Given those certs, Id just as welluse a PCMO if I want a HD30 oil... or else get texaco Ursa, which has the latest diesel specs.

Am I missing something regarding Delo 400?

Thanks!

JMH

Depends on your engine, but if it is an older V/8 the SL is the way to go. Delo 400 30wt. is a very good oil for what it was made for. It was run in Diesel engines for decades.

Chevron Delo 400 oils meet:
• API Service Categories
— CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4 (SAE 10W-30)
— CF, CD1, SG1, SH1
— SL (SAE 10W-30, 20, 30, 40, 50),
SJ (SAE 10W-30)
— CE1 (SAE 30)
• major diesel engine manufacturers' requirements
Caterpillar J.I. Case
Cummins John Deere
DAF Komatsu
DaimlerChrysler Kubota
Detroit Diesel (four-stroke)Mack
Deutz MAN
Fiat / Allis Mercedes
Ford MTU
GMC / GM Navistar
International Renault
Iveco Scania
Volvo
• performance requirements of
— Allison C4 Fluids (SAE 10W-30, 10W, 30)
— Vickers Pump Test, 35VQ25A (SAE 10W)
• engine test performance requirements
— Cummins CES 20078, 20076, 20071
(SAE 10W-30)
— DDC/MTU Types/Categories 1 and 2 (SAE 30, 40)
— Mack EO-M PLUS, EO-M, EO-L PLUS, EO-L
(SAE 10W-30)
— MAN 270 (SAE 30, 40, 50)
— Mercedes Benz 228.2 (SAE 30, 40, 50)
• manufacturers' performance requirements
— Chrysler MS 6395-G (SAE 10W-30, 30)
TYPICAL TEST DATA
Typical test data are average values only. Minor variations which do not affect product performance are to be expected in normal manufacturing.

It meets enough requirements for me. IMO, Delo 400 SAE30 kicks any other 30wt's behind, especially being useable down to 15*F. The stuff acts like a 20W30. It's in my Jeep right now and runs awesome.

I could care less about an SL rating, even for a gas engine, whether some old application, yard equipment, etc...

Id buy it for what it is, a diesel-rated straight weight 30 oil.

But it isnt rated all that well for diesel specs... It says that it meets some set of manufacturer's specs, but at the same time doesnt surpass any API diesel spec above CE. Some discount the API service category ratings as not all that important, but it seems to me that if it doesnt meet the up to date stuff, its applicability in a lot of situations might not be all that great.

Even though my MB OM617.952 engine is over 20 years old, it has an EGR. Sure, it lasted MANY miles before CI/CI-4 oils existed, but isnt it a benefit to EGR diesels to have an API service category and oil design spec that is pertient to the application? I sure appreciate that there are EGR equipped diesel oil specs now existing.

Im not saying that Id use delo 400 SAE30 in my OM617, but Im saying that I'm not quite as convinced that Delo 400 is all that great, compared to any other SAE30 oil that exists out there, if it cant surpass API CE.

Thanks,

JMH

Yeah, I saw that... Their 10w-30 does though...

Problem is only 15w-40 and 30 is readily available.

JMH

I tried 15w40 in the older Taurus but it was just too thick when cold, and a monograde 30 weight would be even worse. Few 10w30 oils have the latest CI-4 or CI-4+ rating as they're evidently too thin for 'normal' HDEO use. Try a Ford dealer for a 10W30 HDEO as Motorcraft makes one, don't recall what rating it has, and it shoud be available from their warehouse even if the dealer doesn't have nay on hand. It's about $2.60 a qt.

I started a thread asking about xxW-30 diesel oils that met CI-4+...however, the links in there will take you to the major manufacturer data sheets for their diesel oils.

Most have a xxW-30 HDEO, however, none of them meet CI-4+ yet, and maybe never will.

I do wonder though, if the new CJ spec that's coming out will see xxW-30's meeting that, or, if a xxW-40 will be needed..?

Are there any xxW-30 CI-4+ diesel oils?

Chuck

JHZR2,
Yes you did miss something. Some of the specs call for a multi-grade oil. Thus SAE 30, while fine for its intended purposes, is not the weight that the manufacturers are looking for. They want multigrades. In todays world you seldom will see a 30 weight to be the preferred oil.
GregH

Just don't tell all those trucker, bus operators and farmers that the Delo 30w and 40w are not any good. It's a great oil for its intended purpose. You won't see a lot of new certs for this oil because most of them call for multigrade oil. I had an old MCI bus with a Detroit Diesel V8 two stroke and it liked the Delo 40w. I tried modern multigrade oils and after blowing it out the exhaust, went right back to the old 40w.

I would agree, the SAE30 and SAE40 are for a specific market. For a OM617 I would just use 5w-40, 15w-40, or 15w-50, synthetic or mineral. I have put more than 150,000 miles on Mercedes diesels manufactured 1986-1987 and used 5w-40 synthetic most of those miles. I also put about 150,000 miles on VW diesels which were EGR equipped. From what I've learned, synthetics are supposed to make EGR maintenance a non-issue.

-brian

Primus,

I used the Delo 400 Synthetic 5w-40 in my Cummins B5.9 a few years ago and it worked well. I belive its a Group III oil, compared to Delvac 1 5w-40 which is Group IV/V. My preference is to stay with Group IV/V oils. Here in the U.S. I use Delvac 1 5w-40 or Amsoil AME 15w-40.

Regards,
Brian

I'm using it in several cars...none are diesel, so diesel specs are irrelavent. It seems to run well, consumption is minimal and mpg is better than the 15w-40.

quote:

Originally posted by brian:
I would agree, the SAE30 and SAE40 are for a specific market. For a OM617 I would just use 5w-40, 15w-40, or 15w-50, synthetic or mineral. I have put more than 150,000 miles on Mercedes diesels manufactured 1986-1987 and used 5w-40 synthetic most of those miles. I also put about 150,000 miles on VW diesels which were EGR equipped. From what I've learned, synthetics are supposed to make EGR maintenance a non-issue.

-brian

We run delvac 1 in the OM617.952 in the 83 300D and the OM603 (IIRC its 603, I dont recall the number off the top of my head) in the 96 E300D (NA 3.0L I6). Great results all around. I do run rotella syn 5w-40 in my E30 BMW 318i.

JMH

I've been telling those truckers bus drivers and farmers that straight 40 weight oil is no good for the Detroit diesel 2 stroke for the past 20 years. But the trick is that when you make the switch to multigrade you have to go with a full synthetic with a limited viscosity range like 15w40. 5w40 synthetic oil won't work in a Diesel 2 stroke. And petroleum 15w40 also won't work in a 2 stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back