Caltex Distribution Specs for Delo 400 in Aus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Oil Guys!

Delo 400 diesel oil has been a favorite of mine for about 25 years in severe duty applications. I have a new F-450, 6.4 Twin Turbo PSD here in Australia, and there is a chain of Caltex Service Stations that sell Delo 400. My engine has to have CJ-4, and I understand CI-4+ meets that. It would be very convenient to use the Caltex Delo if it is right.. I seem to remember two grades of Delo 400, is this the one called for? My 40 years experience and gut feeling says yes, just checking though.. The old verification used to be "Catepillar to 2" but that is ancient... Oil changes at 7500 kms, twice the normal called for. Specs below listed from Caltex for their Delo 400 Multigrade:

API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, CD
API SL, SJ, SH
ACEA E7-04, E5-02, E3-96.
JASO DH-1
EMA Global DHD-1
Caterpillar ECF-2, ECF-1a
Cummins CES 20078, 20077, 20076, 20072
DDC 93K214
Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, EO-M Plus, EO-M, EO-L Plus
Volvo VDS-3, VDS-2
Mercedes-Benz 228.3
MAN M 3275, 271
MTU and DDC Categories 1&2
ZF TE-ML 04C, 07C

KEY PROPERTIES
SAE Grade 15W-40
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.886
Base No., D2896, mg KOH/g 12.2
Base No., D4739, mg KOH/g 10.0
Sulfated Ash, %m 1.4
Flash Point °C 230
Pour Point °C -33
Viscosity, cSt at 40°C 125
Viscosity, cst at 100°C 15.1
Viscosity Index 125
Zinc, %m 0.15

CI4+ is NOT sufficient for a CJ4 engine. Note ash = 1.4%. The most important part of CJ4 is ash Look for Delo 400 Multigrade LE 15W40. That is CJ4. Also Penrite Diesel LA 15W40.
A CJ4 oil is also an ACEA E9 and usually MB 228.31.

Charlie

Charlie in Alaska,

Not to argue here, discuss, what does a little more ash hurt? It is not like the engine bypasses measurable oil to the DPF.... The people in Australia that Import and convert and handle Warranty have given a CI-4+ spec, as that is what is readily available.

I just called the Caltex mob, and the Delo 400 LE is 60% more expensive
, for this low ash business. You sound like a Techie, so is this Necessary? I am guessing DPF and Regen oriented, however, oil consumption is so low as to seem irelevant to the DPF and Regen life...??

Please comment... Thank you, from Oz...

i don't have all of the technical stuff handy, but i do know you must use a cj-4 oil with a dpf equipped engine, its an absolute must

I Think you should be ok.I know a taxi guy who ran Valvoline diesel engine oil in a VY commodore 3.6L V6 from day one to 495000kms never had any problem.Still going good.Some mechanics said cat's wont last but now 5 years and 500000kms plus still no cat problems.Car has three way cats.

If the DPF (diesel particulate filter) has been removed, then it's fine to use CI4+ oil. If you run CI4+ in a DPF vehcilce, the filter will clog and need to be replaced with a reconditioned one after about 1.0/1.4 = 71% of the miles that one would have lasted using CJ4 oil. They tend to be a bit expensive.
If Ford has removed the DPF, or if you buy a DPF delete kit (including an electronic tuner box that tells the system not to worry and not to use fuel on "regenerations" = soot burning) CI4+ oil will not be a problem.
Again - the engine doesn't care. But the emission hardware will last longer.
Perhaps some 6.4 expert can tell us whether the EGR = exhaust gas recirculation device is also removable. If so, get rid of it also if you are not subject to vehicle inspections (what part of the country do you live in?). It can be quite troublesome and also is a fuel waster.
A cooled EGR vehicle requires CI4+ or CJ4 oil.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back