Definitely pays to shop around

Happy home owner here.

TL; DR. I called 3 people to cut down a tree. Highest was $1100. Lowest was $675. All are insured and experienced operations. Read last paragraph too.

We have a massive silver maple about 40’ from the house. It’s a pretty and healthy tree, but it’s a junk tree too as stuff always falls from it. The root system is every bit as big as the crown and it’s starting to come over the house so it has to go.

I called 3 places. I wanted a price for just dropping it. I can do the cleanup. There’s power lines around and it’s in a tight area with landscaping otherwise I could do the job with a saw and a 24” bar.

First place came out right away for a quote. Had great reviews on google. First google result. Nation wide company. $1100. The guy seemed to know his stuff and was confident would create issues for the house.

I called guy 2 who was recommended by a guy who’s doing tree trimming for the power company. (Also met with him for an unrelated issue.) He never called back.

I called guy 3 because I wanted a second opinion and it was over 24 hrs for guy 2. He said he’d be out in an hour. Ended up being just under 3 hours late. Ended up costing $800.

Meanwhile, guy 2 calls and says he’s 10 mins away while I’m waiting on guy 3. What a mess... They ended up missing each other by about 10 mins. He was $675.

Looking back, I probably shouldn’t have called guy 3 and wasted his time. Then again, if he was cheaper, I would have gone with him. I wanted another opinion and there’s nothing wrong with shopping around I guess.

When it comes to getting quotes, what’s a fair thing to do? How many people would you get quotes from before giving somebody the job?

I get three quotes and also research their companies online. If one requires a large down payment, he is automatically disqualified.I didn't run into that with tree companies but that applies to anyone I hire.If they show up very late without a call, they are disqualified.I have had guy two just getting ready to leave when guy three arrives. They knew each other and BS'ed a short while before I got down to business with guy three. I have found many tree guys are no smarter than the trees they are cutting down and are often unreliable as far as showing up on time or even the day agreed to begin the job. I even ask to see their insurance papers for liability and worker's comp. when I get an estimate. This is where you shouldn't accept someone's word that they are covered and could be the reason for a low ball quote.

Last edited:
I get three quotes and also research their companies online. If one requires a large down payment, he is automatically disqualified.I didn't run into that with tree companies but that applies to anyone I hire.I have had guy two just getting ready to leave when guy three arrives. They knew each other and BS'ed a short while before I got down to business with guy three.

Yes. No down payments.

When my dad was my age, he gave a contractor a down payment who never showed back up for a job.

I requested 3 quotes from "indy" shops for some work I need done to the Laser. First shop took 2.5 weeks to finally put a quote together, and there were some items listed that I KNOW are not available for this car, indicating that they really didn't research what's needed, to determine what's available. Pretty high quote, to boot.

2nd shop told me they'd put something together and call me the next day. That was 3 weeks ago.

3rd shop got me a quote in about 24 hours, and it was considerably lower than quote 1, and they seem well aware of the things that can, and cannot be done. I dropped the car off with them this morning.

There's nothing wrong with soliciting multiple quotes. Part of their business is to give their potential customers some idea of what the cost and timeline will be. I often solicit 3 quotes on big jobs like the Laser, which I feel gives me a good landing spot for what it SHOULD cost, and how long it SHOULD take to complete.

One more thing that I ask anyone I contract with is what equipment they use.
If one uses decrepit equip vs newer one that could also be a reason for higher/lower quotes.

One more thing that I ask anyone I contract with is what equipment they use.
If one uses decrepit equip vs newer one that could also be a reason for higher/lower quotes.

I would typically agree. In this case, the guy with the nicest newest fanciest truck was the cheapest. Lol.

I did tree work in a prior life.
Anyone with a chain saw and a pickup can be a tree trimmer.
A real business pays insurance and other legit costs.
Someone who does buzzers does not.
We did buzzers; the guy I worked with was the best climber in Santa Clara Valley.
We never broke anything, but if we did, you would be SOL.
My friend finally went legit and has more work than he can handle.
Good luck.

3 quotes typically for work that I for sure can't fairly price on my own. Its all part of the game for contractors.

I've often found things like you did - not showing up on time, not showing up at all, no communication, and that's before they've even won the work. I get that they are busy - and that's fine - but when I get contractors who can communicate, I'll often hire them first, even if they are booking out further... Less hassle on my end, and my time is worth something!

When it comes to getting quotes, what’s a fair thing to do? How many people would you get quotes from before giving somebody the job?
Fair to who ? You're the only person that matters in this equation. When you get a price you're happy with, move forward. You have to draw the line somewhere, so if you get 3 quotes, why not 4 or 5 ? Or 10 ?

Up here it can be $100 to $500 per tree. For that, if the tree is close to a power line, the $100 guy will scale the tree, de-limb it while his helper stacks the limbs in a trailer. He’ll then top it and let half of the tree fall, then finally takes down the lower half. The $500 guy does the same but uses a bucket truck.

Happy home owner here.

TL; DR. I called 3 people to cut down a tree. Highest was $1100. Lowest was $675. All are insured and experienced operations. Read last paragraph too.

We have a massive silver maple about 40’ from the house. It’s a pretty and healthy tree, but it’s a junk tree too as stuff always falls from it. The root system is every bit as big as the crown and it’s starting to come over the house so it has to go.

I called 3 places. I wanted a price for just dropping it. I can do the cleanup. There’s power lines around and it’s in a tight area with landscaping otherwise I could do the job with a saw and a 24” bar.

First place came out right away for a quote. Had great reviews on google. First google result. Nation wide company. $1100. The guy seemed to know his stuff and was confident would create issues for the house.

I called guy 2 who was recommended by a guy who’s doing tree trimming for the power company. (Also met with him for an unrelated issue.) He never called back.

I called guy 3 because I wanted a second opinion and it was over 24 hrs for guy 2. He said he’d be out in an hour. Ended up being just under 3 hours late. Ended up costing $800.

Meanwhile, guy 2 calls and says he’s 10 mins away while I’m waiting on guy 3. What a mess... They ended up missing each other by about 10 mins. He was $675.

Looking back, I probably shouldn’t have called guy 3 and wasted his time. Then again, if he was cheaper, I would have gone with him. I wanted another opinion and there’s nothing wrong with shopping around I guess.

I would typically agree. In this case, the guy with the nicest newest fanciest truck was the cheapest. Lol.
It's the guy working the equipment as much as the equipment used.. I asked a contractor about the stump removal on my medium sized tree. He said he was going to use his boom to lift it out of the ground. I immediately knew this guy was a dunce and didn't know what he was doing. I didn't consider his quote as a result.

as long as the quotes keep dropping, you haven't hit bottom yet. Call a 4th, maybe he does it for 500, maybe not... if he's the cheapest, keep calling...

as long as the quotes keep dropping, you haven't hit bottom yet. Call a 4th, maybe he does it for 500, maybe not... if he's the cheapest, keep calling...
Don't wait too long. I think quotes are good for 30 days.The first good storm in the area will give those guys plenty of work again and the new quotes could go up temporarily and a longer wait..

I’m a big believer in you get what you pay for when it comes to most good and services. The other things I care about are reputation and word of mouth. If I have a chance to see previous work done by someone that is a bonus!

Last edited:
My first step is to talk with some folks to see who they have used for similar types of work. If one or more folks seem happy with the contractor, I will use him and pay what he asks. If the work is satisfactory, and the price to my eyes seems halfway reasonable, I will use him again.

OTOH, if price is really that big of a deal than get a bunch of quotes and go with the bottom line cheapest quote.

Back