Deep scratch removal/cover up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

My son managed to get a fairly deep scratch on the lower rear right quarter of his 2008 Malibu and it is bugging the heck out of him.

I used some scratch remover and wax and it improved it pretty good but since it is so deep, the groove/mark is still rather visible.

I haven't got down real close to see if it goes past/through the paint into the plastic, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's pretty close.

I watched this vid and was thinking of purchasing something similar/same (Turtle wax scratch repair kit) but I wanted to ask first before I drop some money only to find out something better exists out there?

Imo, my son's scratch on his car is likely as deep as this one in the video only his is longer.
His car is colored the carbon/granite black metallic color but since the scratch is so low to the ground I don't think it will matter much if something purely black is used, if needed, to repair this?
His scratch is below this rear quarter body line about half way down to the very bottom.

Granite metallic.jpg

First thing is to stop rubbing it, all you are doing is reducing the thickness of the surrounding clear coat.
Before getting into how to repair it properly we need to know if the scratch is through the color to the primer or metal or is it just in the clear coat?

Originally Posted by Trav
First thing is to stop rubbing it, all you are doing is reducing the thickness of the surrounding clear coat.
Before getting into how to repair it properly we need to know if the scratch is through the color to the primer or metal or is it just in the clear coat?

I will look closer tomorrow afternoon when he gets home from school, Trav, but if I had to guess, I'd say it is past the clear and and quite possibly past the paint as well? You can easily feel a groove running your finger or fingernail over it.
These rear quarters are plastic or whatever they are made of, there is no metal there at all as far as I know? The scratch is just behind the rear wheel pretty close to the bottom of the panel.

I've touched up many rock chips and scratches over the years, and I'll just say if you're not super careful you can make it look worse the more you mess with it. If the scratch is not down to the base coat, then trying to fill the scratch with clear coat like in the video is doable, but what I would do is knock it down first with rubbing alcohol on a cotton cloth after it dries for about 30 minutes, then polish it. I wouldn't use sandpaper - too easy to burn through the clear coat.

The great news is that it will never rust. I'm a hound when it comes to scratches in metal body panels but this is just a plastic bumper. No worries mate!

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
The great news is that it will never rust. I'm a hound when it comes to scratches in metal body panels but this is just a plastic bumper. No worries mate!

It is really bothering him so I am going to try my best to correct it the best I can.

Personally, and like I told him, it could have been worse and since it is in a somewhat isolated/hidden area, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I think he is embarrassed by it plus this is his 1st car, so I can't say that I blame him for wanting to correct it.

I'll get some pics tonight and take the suggestions from there.

I appreciate everyone's feedback/advice so far!
cheers3.gif

Ok yes I know what you mean by that. I'd probably go over with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound to diminish the scratch as much as possible. It prob won't remove all of it. So I would get some touch up paint and use that to fill in the scratch. It won't look 100% but it will look much better. And it won't jump when looking in the area. You'll only see it if you're looking for it.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Ok yes I know what you mean by that. I'd probably go over with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound to diminish the scratch as much as possible. It prob won't remove all of it. So I would get some touch up paint and use that to fill in the scratch. It won't look 100% but it will look much better. And it won't jump when looking in the area. You'll only see it if you're looking for it.

That's basically all I am after as I think the only way to properly fix it would be to sand it out and repaint the area?

If it is far less noticeable to my son, I think he will be much happier.

Thanks for the tips, SS.
cheers3.gif

Here's some pics of the scratch.

Looks worse than I original thought. My son said it was like an interlock wall/curb that was obviously high enough to catch this spot

WP_20180912_15_02_26_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180912_15_02_33_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180912_15_02_57_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180912_15_03_24_Pro (2).jpg

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. First step is use some automotive clay on it to reduce and smooth out the rough edges. Then get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and rub it in with some serious elbow grease. Prob won't even need touch up paint. A few years ago I fixed up a bunch of scrapes like this on my parent's white Camry. My dad couldn't believe the before and after difference.

Very lightly use 2000 and water with a drop of dawn on it, don't rub it so long it goes through the clear just to knock any edges and surface stuff down and lets see what you have. If the white disappears when wet then you are home free, it can be dried and a blending clear used on it then buffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back