Declining DIY Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm worse, I want to know it's done right and I'm cheap!

After I pulled myself across the driveway with the ratchet on a JiffyLube tightened drain plug, I decided that if I can do it myself, I will. And I do enjoy it, maybe not the intake gaskets on an Astro in December but most of it!

Originally Posted By: cp3
I don't think so Stevie, I'm not Italian and I would have told the guy he was just supposed to change the oil not the engine!
33.gif

Like demarpaint said, about the only DIYer on the streen, have seen a bit of work being done but not much. Not even a car being washed!

Funny you mention washing cars. I have two neighbors and myself out of the 14 houses on my street that wash their own cars. Of the two that wash their own cars that only happens about 5 times a year. They don't wax them either. The other neighbors use the local car wash for washing only.

That tells me a lot about how people care for their cars. Oil changes, and filters when the Jiffy Lube sticker says so, and anything else when it breaks.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
i would suspect that DIY number has grown the last couple of years.

I'd say it was probably flat for a while ..may have gotten a boost when my kids and every other baby boomers kids got cars ..and now is in (or due for) retreat.

We're getting old and changing oil might be one thing we leave to the youngsters especially if we don't drive nearly as much.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
No wonder you get a free coffee and a paper while you wait. Shoot they should have a 5 course meal for you.
lol.gif

Or at least a slice of cheesecake
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
walmart has a TV ad trying to convince people do DIY the first time.

So they can sell people $10 Fram filters, $21 jugs of M1, and the groceries, and the new lamp, etc.

My fiancee gets mildly upset at me when I get oil. Then again, she knows how I work, and that I do things the right way. And she wonders why my old car gets the same highway fuel economy as hers...

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: StevieC
No wonder you get a free coffee and a paper while you wait. Shoot they should have a 5 course meal for you.
lol.gif

Or at least a slice of cheesecake
wink.gif
Exactly...

White Macadamia-nut...
20.gif

I change my own oil, and do most of my other work. I do the oil changes and some of the maintenance on Mom's Jeep as well. For major stuff on Mom's Jeep or Dad's Camry, they go to Dad's trusted mechanic. Dad takes the 05 Camry to the dealer for oil changes, as they're free for life. Same free oil change deal for my grandmother's Lexus, and being a Lexus, they'll pick it up, deliver a loaner, and return the car for you, so it's convenient for her.

back in the dealiyo, when you could get syn free after rebate, my oil change would cost me $1.97 supertech oil filter plus tax. ah, those were the days..CIRCA 2005!!!
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
My kids probably won't change their own oil.

You can't live forever to do it for them..you know what you usually say about people dying
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3
Maybe I'm worse, I want to know it's done right and I'm cheap!

I agree. I don't want to pay more than is necessary. If I wanted my crankcase filled from a random barrel without any attention made to grade or spec, I'd buy a random barrel and keep it in my garage.

Additionally, I want the correct amount of oil replaced, I want the drain plug in properly (i.e. not left on the floor or put on with an impact),and I want the proper filter installed. I don't want them to mismatch my coolant, either, or put in bug wash in the winter, or any of the other goodies they've been known to perform.

I've done my own oil changes since I first bought a car (1969) and still do. My 2 sons and my son-in-law do theirs also. We're cheap I guess.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Other than myself, I don't know one person who changes their own oil

I know the feeling, but when you can get a dino oil change from a shop for $15 bucks along with a fluid fill I really can't blame people.

I look at the tough times as people just extending their oil changes, and necessary service. I have not witnessed a lot of DIY in my neighborhood. More coupon shopping and off-brand, but considering that if you never DIY'd you need to make a good purchase of tools and accessories (ramps) and jack etc... it is not cheap to get started.

Cost for me is static. I have always been frugal whether I have a dollar in my pocket or a hundred, does not matter. I enjoy maintaining the vehicles myself. Complete control of care, quantity, type and frequency. I only leave stuff like 4-wheel alignments to the pros, or something I cannot figure out.

My next door neighbor and I are the only DIY car guys on the block. Most people driving by who do not know me get confused by hoods being up on vehicles anyways. Good to keep 'em guessing!

I diy because I can save some coin and I have an inherent lack of turst of all the quick lube places. I wouldn't have such a distrust but they are setup here so you can't what they are doing.
I also got sick of them pull out my K&N filter and telling me it was dirty and needed to be replaced. Even with the sticker on the air box.
frown.gif

I'm not going to change my own oil. My dealer does it in 30 minutes xpress fashion. I just take 'em the M1 EP,the M1 filter,and let 'em do it. They also check/inflate the tires,top up fluids,return my remaining 1/2 quart of EP,and do a few "looking for additional work" inspections. Costs $10. 2x a year.

I suspect that the broad trend is toward less DIY mainenance.
People are lazy and they respond well to the cry of "You can't work on your own car anymore. It's too complicated. You need a special diagnostic computer", although routine maintenance has never been easier than it is now, and OBD II cars require only an inexpensive code reader for any diagnostics outside of normal maintenance.
The amount of maintenance any car of the past twenty years or so needs is nothing compared to what we did back in the era of carbs and points, and it wasn't optional if you wanted the thing to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back