Decent little string trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new FS-38 today. It looks like a great little trimmer.

It handles differently than the old Homelite but I'm sure we'll "bond".
56.gif

Thanks BITOGers !

Bob

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I have an echo, never had luck with spools, cutting 8" strings is much easier for me, would not go back.

Cutting those strings is silly. When I bought my Echo, I told the dealer to take that string cutting junk head off, and put on the standard bump head. They did at no charge. The older bump heads do advance string too easy, so I will agree cutting strings would be better than wasting string. Then I bought an Echo Speed Feed head from Home Depot for $20, and it is a very good head. Can load string without taking head apart, and it can be loaded fast. Best head I have ever used.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Better still ... let me ask:

Which string trimmer would you choose for light jobs around the house (not big jobs, not commercial) -

A) Husqvarna (Lowe's item 710659)
B) Stihl FS-38
C) Echo GT 225

Thanks, guys & gals.

Bob

If those Echo motors are still made in Japan, then Echo all the way. Best dang weed eater I have ever owned, and it has plenty of power. My brother lives next door to me, and he is always borrowing my Echo because his Stihl breaks down all the time.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Better still ... let me ask:

Which string trimmer would you choose for light jobs around the house (not big jobs, not commercial) -

A) Husqvarna (Lowe's item 710659)
B) Stihl FS-38
C) Echo GT 225

Thanks, guys & gals.

Bob

If those Echo motors are still made in Japan, then Echo all the way. Best dang weed eater I have ever owned, and it has plenty of power. My brother lives next door to me, and he is always borrowing my Echo because his Stihl breaks down all the time.

I think Echo has changed their consumer warranty lately..at least the Home Depot models. I have an echo saw and like it, and the SRM-225 may be my next trimmer. I currently have a Husqvarna 223L trimmer and its on its 5th year of abuse. I love this trimmer but looks like Lowes quit carrying it.

56.gif

Thanks BITOGers !

Bob

How is the FS38 for vibrations? I was considering an FS38 but then read that STIHL have alot of vibrations and some people went to ECHO because of this.

Last edited:

56.gif

Sure it handles differently because all the new trimmers these days spin counter-clockwise thereby pelting the operator with debris.

Not to mention its awkward for right handers (which most people are) and dumps all the cuttings back onto the newly trimmed areas, unless you walk backwards.

And no, holding the trimmer at a different angle doesn't solve the problem.

I hope my old Homelite trimmer hangs in there for many years to come.

I like counter clock wise as I trim before I mow so I throw the grass onto the lawn to be picked up by the mower...

I walk sideways counter clockwise around the lawn(s) edges. I use an old Weed Eater that spins counter ... Light enough to one-hand in tight areas. Two screw adjustable carb - still running fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: BHopkins

First choice: Stihl FS-38
Second choice: Echo GT-225
Distant third choice: Husqvarna

Thanks to all who offered advice. It is appreciated as always.
thumbsup2.gif

Mama Bear and I are going to the local dealer and scooping up an FS-38 this afternoon.

Have a great Memorial Day there in the USA !

Bob

Good choice. If your local Stihl dealership is as good as the ones I have dealt with, you will be very pleased with the entire purchase experience. They will train you how to start the trimmer, and do a first start with you. This is part of the requirements to be a Stihl dealership.

One note of caution. Do Not use gas with ethanol in it. Do a search and find a local source for ethanol free gas. If you can't find ethanol free gas, use pre-mix until you can. This will be the best decision you make in caring for your 2 cycle power tools. When you are still using the same string trimmer 10 or 15 years from now, and it is still running like a champ, you will know you made the right decision in avoiding gas with ethanol.

I second what BHopkins said about using 100% gas. Go to pure-gas.org and find a local pure gas outlet if you haven't already. Not only is this the way to go for 2 cycle power equipment, but ALL your outdoor power equipment (2 cycle and 4 cycle). I have a Stihl FS-45 trimmer which I bought around 2007, still going strong after almost 10 seasons of use. I've done nothing to it other than change the spark plug and air filter. The primer bulb is cracked on it, so that makes it a little harder to start than when new, but that's not too bad. Not sure if the newer units use primer bulbs anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back