String trimmers what to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at string trimmers, not sure about the brands at the depot and Lowe's. I know I don't want a Ryobi/Homelite Ryobi looks like better quality maybe made by the same outfit as Homelite. The old Homelites were better at starting my last one was very temperamental.

Recently I purchased a Ryobi blower and its not the easiest to start.

Anyway I'm looking at Troybilt string trimmers 2 stroke and 4 stroke, the two stroke have the gas tank on top, and has a potential for gas leaking through the lines that penetrate the tank from underneath, and I'm not sure how good a set up it is.

The troybilt 4 stroke is a diff design, and tank is on the bottom, but I'm not sure how good these are.

I do like the idea of another motor that requires an oil change.
crazy2.gif

Anyone have experience with these or the 4 stroke any brand, I'm trying to keep it under $200.

echo trimmers are great. super-easy to start, amd they do great.

I have husqvarna that is too much trimmer for my yard, but I got a deal. it works really great too.

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
echo trimmers are great. super-easy to start, amd they do great.

I have husqvarna that is too much trimmer for my yard, but I got a deal. it works really great too.

JMH
Yes I was looking those the straight shaft lowest price one $219, it is so light and has 5 year warranty, I'm serious thoughts about it, had a few people at the depot say they had problems with theirs.

IMO, everything at a specific price point is about the same. A $179 trimmer is a $179 trimmer is a $179 trimmer.........

The better trimmers are Stihl, Echo, Shindawa, Redmax and a couple others. You can get a Stihl FS55R for about $200 and will be better than most of the stuff at the DIY megamarts.

I used a Stihl FS80R for years and that thing was awesome. I now have an Echo SRM-230 which I bought used and it's very nice and lightweight, not quite the power monster the Stihl was but plenty adequate. I think the SRM-230 is about $250 at Home Depot.

Nice thing about brands like Stihl and Echo is there are plenty of parts and servicing dealers available. When Lowes and Home Despot kick out their current vendors because they won't drop their pricing 10-15%, it will be almost impossible to find parts for that $150 trimmer when it goes boo-boo in a couple years.

Buy an Echo. I purchased a model GT200R last year at HD, and it has seen 1 hour of weekly use throughout the cutting season. Absolutely zero problems with this unit. I highly recommend Echo.

Also, don't forget to buy the $7 shoulder strap to go with the trimmer. You'll thank me for this later.

Do not look at the price. Look at the total cost of ownership. The Echo/Stihl/Shindaiwa trimmers will last at least 3 times longer than Homelites or Ryobis. In that time they will be easier to restring and get parts and service for which equals less headache. And they have more power (do not just look at displacement) trust me a 22cc trimmer is more than enough for you, and are easier to start. Also do not buy from a big box store, next time you see a lawn crew in your area and you see someone who speaks english ask them where they buy their trimmers and blowers. Then go there pay the extra $10 for the equipment and know that you just got the best deal available. By the way my Echo 2601 trimmer is over 10 years old and my Stihl BR 400 blower is 9 years old. I can still get parts although I never need them. I used them both commercially for 7 years until I sold my biz. Held onto these 2 items and they still run strong.

My summary - easier to use, easier to service/get parts for, 1/4 the cost over 15 years. = no brainer.

As for the shoulder strap...I've used a string trimmer for as much as 15 hours per week for years and never liked the strap.

Fester, I disliked my Troy-Bilt 4cycle trimmer enough to return it to Lowes. They did revamp the engines slightly since then, but I'd still not buy another. The main thing IMO is, make sure you get one with a clutch and not direct drive like most of the Troy-Bilts and cheaper units. I swapped out the TB for a Husqvarna. I like the Husky very much aside from having an issue keeping it at idle. I have to keep blipping the trottle on it. Other than that it's powerful and easy to start and handle. If you want a 4-stroke, get a Honda string trimmer. If you want a quality 2-stroke, you'll need to spend more than $200.

Joel

Thanks allot for all the advice.

JTK I did read the thread you posted on the 4 stroke, thanks.

Heres what I did, needed it today, went to Home depot (no local shop open Sunday) and purchased the Echo 210 was $219, used a 10% coupon I got in the mail, more money than I wanted to spend, but you'll convinced me, and Ive already gone through some cheaper units.

Thanks again you'll for the advice.
11.gif

Just tried it out, all I can say is WOW! This thing has torque, definitely need hearing protection.

I really like Echo products... but Echo, Sthil, Shindaiwa, Redmax are all good.

FWIW, look at you local lawn care services... most around here use Sthil commercial units.

Also, I've done the cheap route. WeedEater, Poulan, Homelite, etc. While they get the job done, parts are hard to come by, and you'll only see a few seasons out of them. Just pony up and buy a quality product from the get go.

I also advocate one of the more "pro" brands for TCO and longevity.

I will however caveat some of the unconditional recommendations for Echo based on old purchases.

I bought an Echo in 2003 and it's been a bit of a PITA to start, and idles poorly. It has a non-adjustable EPA carb which the older units (that people rave about) don't have.

I could still have a bum carb, or something wrong with my particular unit, but there's a very good chance that the newest EPA Echos aren't going to be as magical as the 10 year old ones folks are basing their recommendations on.

I'm in the process of casually looking for a replacement, adjustable carb for my SRM-210 which may cure all of my troubles, for additional cost on top of the premium I already paid. Since switching from Echo oil to Saber, I now have a "routine" which pretty much always starts it, but it still idles like [censored] compared to the Echos the lawn care outfits that frequent my area use.

Congratulations. I have heard the Echo is a good unit. I have a Husqvarna 323L and think it is wonderful. It has the highest power to weight ratio of any trimmer I have used. Mine is 4 years old and does have the adjustable carb. After several years most carbs will need tweaking to keep running like new. I also used a Shindaiwa one summer on the road crew and they were also tough machines.

This thread sounds too unanimous for me, so let me break that up for ya...

I am extremely satisfied with the $60 reconditioned Ryobi weedeater.
01.gif
I'm pretty sure I bought it from harbor freight, but its been long enough I don't remember for sure. I forget how long I've had it. Maybe 5-6 years? Its old enough that I had to replace the fuel lines this season.

Its always started predictably: a few pumps of the primer, pull on full choke 2-3 times until it tries to start, then it fires right up the first pull on partial choke.

It has that quick-link split shaft, so for $30 I picked up a edger. I love the split shaft. I only have one 2 cycle engine to keep running, and it is my string trimmer and steal blade edger.

It usually runs better on half choke than no-choke, and this year I had to adjust the carb (it has an adjustable one!). But I spend very little time messing around with it.

I completely understand that someone who uses their trimmer professionally, or even just has a lot of yard may want a "real" one. But for my purpose I have no regrets going cheap.

When it dies, I'll just go buy another cheap on with a split shaft. Hopefully I can find another reconditioned bargain.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I also advocate one of the more "pro" brands for TCO and longevity.

I will however caveat some of the unconditional recommendations for Echo based on old purchases.

I bought an Echo in 2003 and it's been a bit of a PITA to start, and idles poorly. It has a non-adjustable EPA carb which the older units (that people rave about) don't have.

I could still have a bum carb, or something wrong with my particular unit, but there's a very good chance that the newest EPA Echos aren't going to be as magical as the 10 year old ones folks are basing their recommendations on.

I'm in the process of casually looking for a replacement, adjustable carb for my SRM-210 which may cure all of my troubles, for additional cost on top of the premium I already paid. Since switching from Echo oil to Saber, I now have a "routine" which pretty much always starts it, but it still idles like [censored] compared to the Echos the lawn care outfits that frequent my area use.

I've followed some of your issues with your SRM. The general consensus is Echos are either hit or miss. Half of the owners seem to have issues, others like myself have none. Mine runs like a champ. It used to 4 stroke alot at WOT, but I lowered the mixture to 40:1 and switched gasoline brands and it runs like a bat out of [censored] now.

Originally Posted By: zulu

I've followed some of your issues with your SRM. The general consensus is Echos are either hit or miss. Half of the owners seem to have issues, others like myself have none. Mine runs like a champ. It used to 4 stroke alot at WOT, but I lowered the mixture to 40:1 and switched gasoline brands and it runs like a bat out of [censored] now.

I won't thread jack too much. I've tried different gas, I've tried everything from 32:1 to 50:1, and I've changed oils. Saber @50:1 works the best, but still not "great". When I wanted my local shop where I purchased it to check it out while still under warranty they said they'd need it for 8-10 weeks and it would cost $100 just to take a look
crazy2.gif
So much for the buy-from-OPE-shop-and-get-better-service.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
This thread sounds too unanimous for me, so let me break that up for ya...

I am extremely satisfied with the $60 reconditioned Ryobi weedeater.

Agreed. If you don't have to use them for hours at a time, a Weed Eater, Ryobi or MTD will suit your needs just fine.

Good choice with the 210. While an mtd or ryobi may seem cheaper the reality is that 3-5 years from now that hunk o junk will most likely be dead. Again my 10 year old blower and trimmer with 100 times the use of any of the homeowner brands is still running very strong. Zero issues. It's like comparing a well maintained Honda with a poorly maintained Yugo, only worse! No offense of course to the Yugo lovers out there.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
When it dies, I'll just go buy another cheap on with a split shaft.

ouch. w*l m*rt syndrome strikes again.
I worked one summer at HD in indoor garden (the dept w/ trimmers). lots of PO'd people couldn't get their cheap-bought-the-year-before trimmer running right, can't buy a new head for it, can't wind the string, etc. one model one year isn't available the next.
HD has a deal w/ ECHO (like their JD deal) to only sell a few models, no service offered, no spare parts. what's the point? may as well go to an independent that sells the same unit, maybe a few bux more, but they set it up correctly.
I bought my Stihl at my local ACE hardware, and w/o me asking, they took it off the hook, took me outside, filled it w/ gas, and spent a good 10 minutes w/ me showing me how to run it. THEN, he went w/ me to the register and filled out the warranty card for me and THEY send it in! lets see HD/lowes do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back