Debating switching phone carriers

I'm on Verizon prepaid. $25/month, 5GB data. I used to be on the unlimited plan, and saw no reason to be paying that much for a phone. Nothing has changed about my service, as most of my data usage happens on my couch where WIFI does all the heavy lifting. Payment hits my card every month, everything's been seamless. Their customer service blows, like everyone else's, but the network has proven to be top-notch for me since 2003.

I strayed for a year around 2013 and tried Straight Talk. I believe it was using AT&T's network, and it was very spotty.
It depends where you live if a service is "spotty" ... it can happen with any provider. Nice thing about no contract is you can switch plans like you change oil brands.

Your Verizon plan is a REALLY good deal off the OP doesnt need more then 5GB of data, if he does, RedPocket is the way to go.
Also should be pointed out to get the $25 plan it cost you $60 upfront. $25 only takes affect after 9 months of loyalty

We have ATT prepaid. For BOTH my wife and I we get 15GB per month EACH (30 GB total) along with unlimited talk / text. For that we pay under $80 / month (around $35 per line + taxes).

You should also look into Xfinity Mobile. They're $15/month for 1gb of data and unlimited talk/text and they use the Verizon network. It's $30 for 3GB and $45 for unlimited. It can go down as low as $30 for unlimited if you have 4 lines. I think you need to be a comcast customer though. Would have worked for me before as I normally don't use 1gb of data, but now all the apps steal your data and I can't keep it under 1gb anymore.

How much is it including all the fees and taxes?

Verizon.JPG

Just started the 7 day free trial with Mint. Signal strength appears to be good at my place. D/L speed looks to be comparable to Verizon on 5G, alas, I've used up the entire allotted 250 MB of data by just doing the speed test. :D

If I were to sign up with Mint after the trial, one thing that worries me is number porting. I've read a lot of horror stories where things got majorly messed up and people lost their numbers when trying to port their number to Mint. I might just stay with Verizon and move to their prepaid plan.

I have read that the discount cell providers do use the major net works.
But in a time of heavy use they favor there own customers and you may have trouble making a call.
I suppose this would be more of a problem in major population centers.
The discount providers absolutely do use the major networks, there is no question of this.

As for the network provider "favoring" direct customers, this has been postulated but I've never seen a thing to actually indicate it happens.

Been on Redpocket using AT&T (2 lines unlimited call & text, 10 GB/line/month for $50) for years now and have never had any service difficulties, here in the DC area where I live or all around the country on travel. It's exactly the same service at a fraction of the price.

jeff

The discount providers absolutely do use the major networks, there is no question of this.

As for the network provider "favoring" direct customers, this has been postulated but I've never seen a thing to actually indicate it happens.

Been on Redpocket using AT&T (2 lines unlimited call & text, 10 GB/line/month for $50) for years now and have never had any service difficulties, here in the DC area where I live or all around the country on travel. It's exactly the same service at a fraction of the price.

jeff
YOU ARE 100% CORRECT. We have exactly the same service with one exception we have 3 of the same lines for $70. More or less its $50 plus $20 extra for the third line. Our daughter now out in the world on her own pays us the $20 a month to keep her 3rd line. Actually just writes a check for $240 a year and gives it to us. BTW- she makes a REALLY good living but why would anyone pay more?

Its also good to point out the $70 or in your case $50 is the ACTUAL payment, I go nuts that people pay administration charges and fees that should be included when they quote prices. These fees add 10 to 15% to the price of service. Its nuts *LOL*
Full disclosure Red Pocket isnt exactly $70 either, there is less then $1 added = $70.94 *LOL* To me that is honest and reasonable and why when comparing cell phone costs it would help if people put their ACTUAL payments. Good god, what product does someone buy other then cell phone service or TV service and quote prices that they never pay!??! *L*

The whole "favoring" direct customers is all BS. I find the same wording in the "direct" providers disclosures about network traffic slowing things down. Bottom line is, Red Pocket buys the service at wholesale prices and resells to us. Like the major direct companies ATT, VERIZON, TMOBILE whom sell more discounted service you maybe lacking roaming and stuff like that, no big deal anymore with that.

We have had RED POCKET ATT so many years now I am losing track and never been in an area in my more "rural" state without service plus I for many years I had a DIRECT comparison between my personal ATT Redpocket phone and with a iPhone and Verizon service.
My company paid for the Iphone and Verizon service plus I had my RedPocket ATT phone at the same time all over the state down to rural areas so rural that my service truck at times would push branches as a drove down one lane dirt roads. (scary stuff*LOL*, at times was glad my truck was tracked with GPS) Both phones provided the same service and it was 50/50 if I ever didnt have service in an area.
I always had ATT service also with Straight Talk, then onto Cricket, then finally RedPocket. Never had an issue with any of them and not that you would notice but Red Pocket gives you full network speeds, straight talk and cricket are paired down/slowed down a little but it really doesnt matter on a cell phone other then it is cool to run a speed test and see the speed there. Also Red Pocket allows "pairing" to a computer, however rarely when my Spectrum Internet goes down in our home or again rarely we lose power and eventually the modem and router power back up dies I use my Mac Desktop paired to my Red Pocket phone or if the power is out I can also pair it to my MacBook Air. Very convenient and many secondary providers do not allow this..

Last edited:
Also Red Pocket allows "pairing" to a computer, however rarely when my Spectrum Internet goes down in our home or again rarely we lose power and eventually the modem and router power back up dies I use my Mac Desktop paired to my Red Pocket phone or if the power is out I can also pair it to my MacBook Air. Very convenient and many secondary providers do not allow this..
Yes, Red Pocket GSMA (AT&T) does allow mobile hotspot/tethering at no extra charge, and they don't limit the data use. Almost every other provider (both MVNO and direct) charges extra for this, and many limit the data use even when you pay for it. One caveat, I had to contact their customer service to have this enabled in my account for my ZTE MF279 LTE WiFi hotspot router.

Last edited:
So I've chickened out and did not sign up with Mint. Instead, I've switched from Verizon postpaid to prepaid.

So far, it has not been a good experience. The first attempt at porting "didn't take" - basically nothing happened and I stayed on postpaid. So next day I called again and they had to redo it, and this time it did port. However, my card got charged twice - for both attempts. I spent hours with their customer service trying to get my money back, but they don't seem to have a record of the first transaction related to that unsuccessful port, so they claim they have no way to refund my money. So now I had to file a dispute with my credit card company - hopefully this gets taken off my card.

On top of that, I seem to be on 3G a lot more than before. Before it was mostly 4G/5G. Now it's mostly 3G. ***? Second class citizen?

I have service thru a main carrier, about $60/mo. after fees and taxes for phone and unlimited text and data.

I use my phone for my primary number, and have a tag on 2nd free Google Voice number for business. It works pretty well for my needs.

I rarely go over 2gb data but a few times a year I do and get dinged. So now I have unlimited data plan. I'm considering a phone replacement which will get me a nice new phone for nearly free, but require a 3 more year commitment. Before I engage, I want to see if there are any discount services for phone and data that are a significant savings.

I've heard there are other carriers that use the same networks/services but are much more affordable. I'm seeing if I can save even $30/mo. which over say 5 years would be $1800. So it's significant enough to shop around and see if I can get as good services with a discount carrier.

Suggestions appreciated.
We had Verizon for years, went to Total wireless. Total rides the Verizon network and costs half as much. Service and coverage has been the same.

So I've chickened out and did not sign up with Mint. Instead, I've switched from Verizon postpaid to prepaid.

So far, it has not been a good experience. The first attempt at porting "didn't take" - basically nothing happened and I stayed on postpaid. So next day I called again and they had to redo it, and this time it did port. However, my card got charged twice - for both attempts. I spent hours with their customer service trying to get my money back, but they don't seem to have a record of the first transaction related to that unsuccessful port, so they claim they have no way to refund my money. So now I had to file a dispute with my credit card company - hopefully this gets taken off my card.

On top of that, I seem to be on 3G a lot more than before. Before it was mostly 4G/5G. Now it's mostly 3G. ***? Second class citizen?
Dont sweat the overcharge, its not even a thought, you just "dispute" and its done. Many times you will get an instant credit. Its their problem and why I love credit cards.

I would try powering down your phone and restart, then do a speed test, see what it is.

I am not a fan of Verizon for no other reason than I never used them for my personal phones, the price never made sense to me. I did have a work provided Verizon phone though.

I have had tracfone for years and despite all the complaints about them, I've not had a problem, outside of coverage in a local town (says I'm roaming when I'm not). $7 or so a month, bit more expensive than the Page Plus that my wife uses. But both of us try to limit our usage as much as possible; I get like 60minutes, 60 texts and 60MB per month. I simply avoid using the phone whenever possible.

I still run an 6S, wife used a 6 until recently when she got a 12; it's had some issues on Page Plus though, probably just too new for them. It mostly works--mostly.
Same here and happy with them over the last few years. It's 15/mo. with rollover for 500 mins. and texts. A little bit of data but not an issue with wifi. Plus you can pay every other mo. when you have mins. left which effectively cuts the rate in half. I have about 5500 mins. accumulated.

I switched from ATT to Cricket about four years ago (before ATT bought them). At least 50% savings, no overcharges, same network. And Cricket's customer service is excellent. I have three lines with unlimited data and pay $90.00 all in, taxes and fees included.

LOTS of options depending on your needs + where you live. a forum member mentioned AirVoice which is great for me!! just search + choose + be aware using various search engines bring more options. Me one phone $10 prepaid plan for 90 days + data charged as used @ .0666 per mega bite, no use NO cost!! they have lots of options + you can contact a human pretty quick for help!!

Back