Debating switching phone carriers

I have service thru a main carrier, about $60/mo. after fees and taxes for phone and unlimited text and data.

I use my phone for my primary number, and have a tag on 2nd free Google Voice number for business. It works pretty well for my needs.

I rarely go over 2gb data but a few times a year I do and get dinged. So now I have unlimited data plan. I'm considering a phone replacement which will get me a nice new phone for nearly free, but require a 3 more year commitment. Before I engage, I want to see if there are any discount services for phone and data that are a significant savings.

I've heard there are other carriers that use the same networks/services but are much more affordable. I'm seeing if I can save even $30/mo. which over say 5 years would be $1800. So it's significant enough to shop around and see if I can get as good services with a discount carrier.

Suggestions appreciated.

I have read that the discount cell providers do use the major net works.
But in a time of heavy use they favor there own customers and you may have trouble making a call.
I suppose this would be more of a problem in major population centers.

Metro by tmobile has a $25/month with some free phone or discounts on phones, rate is good for 2 years unlimited data but throttled after certain amount

ATT prepaid also has $25/month but you have to pay for the entire year $300 all at once 8gb data a month with carry over

Last edited:
You'll probably need to give specifics to make a valid comparison.
If you're thinking of something like Spectrum/Comcast, I'd say avoid it. A friend of ours just went to Spectrum, and they appear to be "subsidized" phones with a pretty obnoxious overlay full of advertisements and intrusions. Unable to defeat them.

I use Verizon. I aquired these 2 S10's a few years ago through a local Verizon authorized reseller (Store). Yesterday I was looking through my Verizon app, and even though the store was made aware of my veteran status, Verizon din't have it recorded.
My point being, make sure you are getting all of the discounts available to you and you miight find lower cost competitors are not worth it.

Cricket Wireless is ATT's prepay brand. They have great service, and rates used to be about half of what ATT post pay was. I have not compared in a long time so I am not sure how they compare today.

I have had tracfone for years and despite all the complaints about them, I've not had a problem, outside of coverage in a local town (says I'm roaming when I'm not). $7 or so a month, bit more expensive than the Page Plus that my wife uses. But both of us try to limit our usage as much as possible; I get like 60minutes, 60 texts and 60MB per month. I simply avoid using the phone whenever possible.

I still run an 6S, wife used a 6 until recently when she got a 12; it's had some issues on Page Plus though, probably just too new for them. It mostly works--mostly.

I got Redpocket....I've had it for four months now. I've only had one issue with it. I prepaid for a year and went with Verizon service. It cost me around $100 with an existing phone. It comes to $8.25 a month for 1000 minutes of talk and unlimited texts and 1 GB of data a month . Good service at a good price.

I’m on simple mobile “t-mobile” network my location t-mobile has strong coverage. Paying $32 and change per month unlimited calls/text 5gig data until Verizon does something drastic like push all the tracfone branded mvno’s over to the vz network I’m hanging on I’m sure if I hunted there’s cheaper but for me this works.

I have a 2nd phone tcl flip on boost mobile which I use for my business I had ported my number from TextNow this is running on T-Mobile network as well. Paying $15 taxes and all 2gig data unlimited calls/text.

After the new year boost will be activating new lines on att. I’d love to take my iPhone XR over to bost so I’m only paying one carrier however it’s locked for another 6months.

Check out total wireless which is vz network.

lots of options, search + compare! for me a light user AirVoice pay as you go works + there are other options as well! i thank this forum for finding AirVoice! i use a cheep motorola android i bought for $129 + most any modern up to date phone works

My family, and I were long time users of Straight Talk on the Verizon network. The customer service was pretty bad. We recently moved over to T Mobile. The trade in allowances for the Straight Talk phones were very good, and the rates are the best we've ever had for unlimited plans. We have "over 55" discount plans. The online customer service is exceptional, and they are very patient. If you opt in for a survey after the customer service, it is a one question. "If you had need of a customer service rep, would you hire this person"? I think that says it all.

My wife and I used to purchase new phones through Verizon every two years with monthly payments and fold them into Verizon service (not really a contract since you can pay off the phone and exit the service with no penalties). After a few 2-year stints of that, I got tired of $200 phone bills.

It wasn't just the cost that bothered me, it was more the realization that new phones have diminishing returns-- 10 years ago a new phone every 2 years entailed some significant upgrades in speed, camera, battery life, etc. I'm not seeing that anymore and am comfortable with a 5 year replacement.

Long story short, we kept our two year old phones (instead of trading them in), ditched Verizon, and shopped pre-paid plans. After a lot of research, our short list was:

Mint (T-Mobile towers) $20 per month (8GB at the time, now upgraded to 10GB data, unlimited everything else)
Redpocket (can choose any major carrier with caveats [see below]) $20 per month (8GB), now $19.00 per month with 10GB, everything else unlimited

We decided to try both, Mint for me, Redpocket for her. Cost was equivalent and we figured with separate carriers, if one of us didn't have service on a road trip / rural area, the other might.

Wife initially chose Redpocket with Verizon service. Didn't work out-- turns out where I live, Verizon subcontracts to a third party, Bluegrass Wireless, for coverage in a large swath of Kentucky. When you get pre-paid Verizon service through a third party (Redpocket) you don't get those perks (subcontracted service). So unless she was near the interstate or a larger town / city, she didn't get service. Switched to AT&T towers through Redpocket and it's been absolutely wonderful. The wife is hard to please with phone service and she's been thrilled with it. Had a hiccup at renewal where they told us we needed to renew a month earlier than we should have; when we renewed, we lost the month we paid for-- an E-mail fixed that. Zero complaints.

My Mint service? Worked fantastic for what I need it for. Decent service where I work and at home. My only complaint is that the coverage area with Mint (T-mobile) is rather poor compared to my wife's AT&T Redpocket. So much so, that I can't recall a time where I ever had service when she didn't. But the opposite happened a LOT. We took vacations to central Colorado (in the mountains) and the very northern tip of New Hampshire (by Canada) this year-- and I've lost count of how many times I had to user her phone to place calls/text someone because my phone didn't have service.

I would have been happy to renew my Mint service-- I don't talk/text and drive (even with hands-free), so the coverage didn't really bother me terribly, and on road trips, I almost always had my wife's phone to fall back on. The deal breaker is that Mint added about $50 in recovery/regulatory fees at renewal, which made their plan $24.16 per month compared to RP's flat $19 per month (with a few dollars extra in taxes). So in my mind I was paying more for worse service with Mint, so decided to jump ship and join my wife with Redpocket.

That said, I have nothing against Mint, it was great for me, and worked fantastic 99% of the time with zero hassles. It was the odd trip out into the country or road trip where I noticed it fell short. It's worth mentioning that neither of us have 5G phones (or need it), so we could not compare that feature between the two carriers. It's certainly possible T-mobile/Mint has better speeds/5G service in larger metro areas, but that's not something we care about or could test.

Last edited:
We finally helped my dad get cricket. He likes it better than Verizon but AT&T is stronger in his area. I may ditch Verizon and go the Cricket route

We finally helped my dad get cricket. He likes it better than Verizon but AT&T is stronger in his area. I may ditch Verizon and go the Cricket route
Att which cricket rides on has a robust network they’re lacking in 5g coverage if that’s not a concern cricket and att is a great network. Cricket being limited on data speeds unless you opt for the higher plan most won’t care about the 8mb data cap.

Att which cricket rides on has a robust network they’re lacking in 5g coverage if that’s not a concern cricket and att is a great network. Cricket being limited on data speeds unless you opt for the higher plan most won’t care about the 8mb data cap.
If one goes to the unlimited data plan; I’d think it would be ok. Epspecially if you use your own wifi

Red Pocket, choose what every network you want. ATT, Verizon or TMobile
Pick monthly plan and choose $20 a month or $30 a month. I would go with $30. That is the actual payment, not BS stuff with added fees. Well, maybe $1.
Cricket is good too if a little more money and little slower speeds which you wont notice.

I had nearly the same issues with my longtime phone service (AT&T) and paid almost the same as the OP...I tried for nearly a month and found service nearly identical using the same network to switch my iPhone over to TracFone...it has cut my phone payment in half with no degradation in phone service and several people remarked the phone sounded clearer before me mentioning I switched services (but I don't know how that could be being it is still on AT&Ts network...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

I had nearly the same issues with my longtime phone service (AT&T) and paid almost the same as the OP...I tried for nearly a month and found service nearly identical using the same network to switch my iPhone over to TracFone...it has cut my phone payment in half with no degradation in phone service and several people remarked the phone sounded clearer before me mentioning I switched services (but I don't know how that could be being it is still on AT&Ts network...

Good luck with your choice

Bill
Your old SIM card was degrading over time.

I'm on Verizon prepaid. $25/month, 5GB data. I used to be on the unlimited plan, and saw no reason to be paying that much for a phone. Nothing has changed about my service, as most of my data usage happens on my couch where WIFI does all the heavy lifting. Payment hits my card every month, everything's been seamless. Their customer service blows, like everyone else's, but the network has proven to be top-notch for me since 2003.

I strayed for a year around 2013 and tried Straight Talk. I believe it was using AT&T's network, and it was very spotty.

Back