Dearth of American Auto Brands in My Area

I was surprised recently to see a Hyundai Santa Fe used as an unmarked police car. It was parked with red and blue emergency lights flashing in the grille and back window with other local cop cars. This SUV is made in the US.

When we first moved to the Midwest, the parts house guy's eyes would cage if you inquired about a part for a foreign vehicle. Now it's just another cusomer. Purchased first Toyota in 1967(a Corona four door and never had a Big Three again.

Me, I'm a Japanese and Japanese only guy. Although I'm a Nissan fanboi, I like all the Japanese brands.

Me, I'm a Japanese and Japanese only guy. Although I'm a Nissan fanboi, I like all the Japanese brands.
With the Junk the big three are pumping out now, I understand. But Camry and Altima are junk too.
The regs and CAFE have killed most cars - you have to search hard for the gems.

Now that I think about it - we had to do this in the 80's too. Like when I got my Citation X-11 with HO V6 and 4 speed.
That thing handled incredible. Great car.
I recall when you could order a GM car in the 70 sand 80's and tick boxes to get F41 sport suspension, Manual transmission and a "hot" motor on most anything.

GM T.V. ad for the X-11 (with original very irritating music track)

I guess Alabama or at least the Birmingham metro area has a lot of vehicle diversity. Everything is pretty common here except super high end exotics, and you can still find those in the right neighborhood.

There are tons of FWD Impalas, Malibus, Cruzes, various Buicks, and even Pontiacs around here. FWD GMs have been a staple car in this area since their introduction. There aren't as many Ford cars, but they aren't uncommon and there are tons of Ford trucks, SUVs, and vans. Plus the Panther platform is still common here. Mustangs and Camaros are everywhere. Dodge Chargers and Challengers as well as Chrysler 300s are also everywhere here.

Even with all those domestic brands, I see plenty of everything else too except for Tesla, which hasn't really caught on here, and truly exotic stuff.

In the DFW area I’ve been surprised to see what appears to be an increase in the amount of current generation Chevy Malibus on the roads. It seems like I see those just as frequently as Camry, accord, fusion, sonata/optima now.

The downfall of American auto brands is evident even out in rural Virginia. While tending to our goats yesterday and mending a fence, I took a tally of the vehicles that drove by:
2 GMC
1 Buick
1 Dodge
1 Volvo
3 Mazda
8 Toyota
4 Honda
5 Subaru
3 Nissan
That’s a 1:6 ratio of American to foreign brands around my backwoods. It got me thinking, if I look back at 2005, my family had 2 Jeeps, 2 Pontiacs, 1 Buick. Fast forward to 2021 and we have 1 Ford, 1 Honda, 1 Toyota, and 3 Subarus.

While the foreign automakers understand that their brand name has value, that one bad experience can turn off a consumer for life, and that they have to serve all parts of the market well in order to have a good reputation. American automakers made the conscious decision to abandon the domestic market except for full-size trucks and large SUVs. Sure they make haphazard/half-hearted attempts to recapture other segments of the market, but at the end of they day, consumers just don’t have the same confidence in the big three that they used to.

The foreign brands all have good quality and reliable econoboxes (Corolla, Civic, Impreza, etc.) that are popular amongst college kids, young urban professionals, and newlywed couples; this gets a good brand experience with these demographics early on and creates a lasting relationship. On the domestic front, what do they offer?; Ford Focuses that need transmission work multiple times by the time the warranty is up and Chevy Cruzes that need cooling system work, expensive PCV valves, and a good chance of needing an expensive turbo. But don’t worry, I’m sure the shareholders are happy with this quarter’s profits.

The downfall of American auto brands is evident even out in rural Virginia. While tending to our goats yesterday and mending a fence, I took a tally of the vehicles that drove by:
2 GMC
1 Buick
1 Dodge
1 Volvo
3 Mazda
8 Toyota
4 Honda
5 Subaru
3 Nissan
That’s a 1:6 ratio of American to foreign brands around my backwoods. It got me thinking, if I look back at 2005, my family had 2 Jeeps, 2 Pontiacs, 1 Buick. Fast forward to 2021 and we have 1 Ford, 1 Honda, 1 Toyota, and 3 Subarus.

While the foreign automakers understand that their brand name has value, that one bad experience can turn off a consumer for life, and that they have to serve all parts of the market well in order to have a good reputation. American automakers made the conscious decision to abandon the domestic market except for full-size trucks and large SUVs. Sure they make haphazard/half-hearted attempts to recapture other segments of the market, but at the end of they day, consumers just don’t have the same confidence in the big three that they used to.

The foreign brands all have good quality and reliable econoboxes (Corolla, Civic, Impreza, etc.) that are popular amongst college kids, young urban professionals, and newlywed couples; this gets a good brand experience with these demographics early on and creates a lasting relationship. On the domestic front, what do they offer?; Ford Focuses that need transmission work multiple times by the time the warranty is up and Chevy Cruzes that need cooling system work, expensive PCV valves, and a good chance of needing an expensive turbo. But don’t worry, I’m sure the shareholders are happy with this quarter’s profits.
Most of those “foreign” cars were assembled in the USA.

Here are a few USA plants.
8B0ADE27-2F60-423B-B076-5185901A4D23.jpg
522E8636-9B68-42AE-82C7-B009B51254BE.jpg

A key reason we bought the Tesla is it was built right up the road in Fremont, CA.
GM and then NUMMI shuttered the plant, losing many thousands of good paying jobs and the resulting tax base, home ownership, etc.
Tesla employes more than 10,000 people there today. And growing.

I will buy another.

Last edited:
In the DFW area I’ve been surprised to see what appears to be an increase in the amount of current generation Chevy Malibus on the roads. It seems like I see those just as frequently as Camry, accord, fusion, sonata/optima now.
I rent them often … actually quieter than several others …

It got me thinking, if I look back at 2005, my family had 2 Jeeps, 2 Pontiacs, 1 Buick.
Good point. Many families were like this. For instance, I’ve only owned one Chevy in my life, but I typically bought GMC trucks or Pontiac cars if I bought a GM. I just never cared for Chevys. When GM killed Oldsmobile and Pontiac they lost a lot of customers. GM thought that owners of defunct GM branded vehicles would end up buying a Chevy, Buick, GMC, or Cadillac on their next purchase. GM predicted that Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, Hummer, and Saturn owners would stick with the GM family but they couldn’t have been more wrong If they tried.

There was a report out by JD Power circa 2010, and they noted that the majority of Pontiac’s traded in during 2009-2010 were traded in for a Dodge vehicles. GM couldn’t keep customers to stay within the brand. I don’t imagine many Saab or Saturn owners stayed with GM either after those brands went defunct.

How many Tundras on the road? They are made in Texas......
Don’t know their market share … clearly better in Houston and nearer to the plant in San Antonio … but not many in my farming community … Ford’s still are the most visible, lots of Super Duty … but the 1500 Ram is pretty hot.
Ram/Jeep/FCA is same dealer as GM … so they are Ok either way …

Volkswagen shall dominate, it is the most superior and reliable car.
No toyota can go 200,000 miles without it burning oil, but a volkswagen can.

Back