Dearth of American Auto Brands in My Area

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Over the past few years, I've been aware of the much greater number of foreign marques in my area compared to American brands.
This morning, for example, I counted 22 cars visible from my window, and they were all Japanese or German brands ... 18 Japanese and the balance German, Audi or Mercedes. Our secure parking lot has space for 22 cars, and all but one (a Ford Fusion) are Japanese.

The only American branded vehicles that there are clearly more of are full-sized pickup trucks. The medium-sized trucks seem to be dominated by Toyota Tacomas. There is one two-block street in Berkeley that is home to (at last count) 19 Prius models.

When I've travelled across the country, it seemed that once away from the coast, there were a much greater number of Ford and GM cars in many areas.

What have you observed where you live?

You sure it is ONLY THE LAST FEW YEARS? This have been happening since at least the 90s in the bay area.
As I said, I've been aware of it the last few years, not that it's only been happening the last few years.

Remember, a lot of "foreign" cars are actually built in the US, and some "American" cars are built elsewhere. Camrys, Accords, etc., are from American plants. Even BMW builds cars here. And that's good.

I am fully aware of that, and that is why I specified brands rather than country of manufacture. My Camry was made in the USA, but its still a Japanese brand.

I remember reading an article many years ago(late '80s-early '90s) that California has the largest number of foreign brand automobiles. Yes, I too realize that our vehicles are made "over there, over there"(is that a song?), and their vehicles are being made over here.

I also think that there is still a stigmatism(changing subject a bit) that our vehicles(American) aren't as reliable as their vehicles(foreign brands) and I just don't think this is the case any longer...although I used to be of this mindset. Just as I don't think that the Korean vehicles are junky, throw away vehicles any longer and that they are(key words) at or near the top of each segment that they compete in.

I also think that there is still a stigmatism(changing subject a bit) that our vehicles(American) aren't as reliable as their vehicles(foreign brands) and I just don't think this is the case any longer...although I used to be of this mindset. Just as I don't think that the Korean vehicles are junky, throw away vehicles any longer and that they are(key words) at or near the top of each segment that they compete in.
For the most part this. I’d still put say Toyota and Lexus towards the top for reliability, but the gap between them and others has narrowed significantly for the most part.

I think a lot of it has to do with where you live as you noted. In more densely populated areas like the coasts tend to be a big ol’ full size sedan like say a Dodge Charger or a full size pick up is a lot harder to park and drive through congested areas. And I’ll fully admit that foreign brands are better at making smaller vehicles than the Big 3 are…. I don’t think the Big 3 even make anything that’s say Corolla sized anymore.

Did they die, or did they get absorbed?

As per the 2nd post in this thread from PandaBear... they just get absorbed into something else a lot.

The list is long, but

Eagle (Eagle Vision, Eagle Talon) became just another Chrysler product.
Plymouth eventually followed, the Plymouth Prowler became the Dodge Prowler.

Geo got absorbed back into Chevy after being sold side-by-side with the bowtie.. I was not of car buying age at this time but after 2001 I think they just sold Chevy.

Ford Aspire was a Kia, even back then

Daewoo also got absorbed into GM, even if mostly GM China (? fuzzy on that)

Pretty sure Suzuki stopped selling cars just like Isuzu but that was the GM umbrella too

The links to American production and or marketing are numerous.

I do see a good mix here, a lot has to do with the dealers in your area.
Locally a Jaguar dealer just shuttered.
Now, near Exeter Phillips Academy, I see quite a few Volvo as there exists a Volvo dealer on the Exeter-Stratham line.
What I am not seeing - or I am just missing as they are so bland are Chevrolet Malibu and Impala.

Of course most of the Big Three cars are gone now, having been dumped from their line-up except for the above mentioned GM and the Dodge Challanger and Charger; I do see a lot of Dodges.

Now, the Toyota Yaris has been discontinued, along with the Honda Fit(!) and the standard VW Golf(!).
Also the Chevy Impala and the Sonic and the Dodge Grand Caravan have been axed.

I must say, I am sad to see the Van Go !

starry.jpg

Live in a small town an hour from Houston … we would have far less foreign brands than Houston … but close enough to have them all. Honestly - bet there are more Korean cars here than Toyota …
Trucks/SUV would be mostly Ford/GM/Ram … not many others …

Classic American brands are good for larger trucks/SUVs.

Tesla is AMERICAN sizzling hot and rocking the automotive world.

People are very unaware including the ticketing person at GM plant:

but its still a Japanese brand.
What defines "brand" anymore ? Your Camry was built in the US with American workers employed by Toyota USA along with parts from American suppliers (and no doubt some overseas content as well). Same thing applies to almost all Honda and Acura models sold in the US by Honda of America. I think it's the FTC that tracks vehicle part content and at various times, the most "American" vehicle out there has been a Honda Accord, a Toyota Tacoma, etc.

I think it's silly and old-school to ignore these realities. My wife's FORD Fusion was built in Mexico with an engine made in Romania!

I do see a good mix here, a lot has to do with the dealers in your area.
Locally a Jaguar dealer just shuttered.
Now, near Exeter Phillips Academy, I see quite a few Volvo as there exists a Volvo dealer on the Exeter-Stratham line.
What I am not seeing - or I am just missing as they are so bland are Chevrolet Malibu and Impala.

Of course most of the Big Three cars are gone now, having been dumped from their line-up except for the above mentioned GM and the Dodge Challanger and Charger; I do see a lot of Dodges.

Now, the Toyota Yaris has been discontinued, along with the Honda Fit(!) and the standard VW Golf(!).
Also the Chevy Impala and the Sonic and the Dodge Grand Caravan have been axed.

I must say, I am sad to see the Van Go !

View attachment 61858
Drove past a Yaris at lunch just in time to see the back glass “explode” … thinking a $10 shade would have helped …

Frankly, you are going to see this more and more: although, it has been going on for years.
Is there really such a thing as an "American Car Company" any more?
Chrysler has not been American owned for years.
When you dig down in the weeds, how "American owned" is GM?
I've asked for years, "What is the most American car?" Is it a foreign marque made in the US, or is it an American marque produced in Mexico, Canada or China?
With the abandoning of sedan production, things are going to become more pronounced.
I have seen Hyundai/Kia's with US Government plates on them. In the City, County, and State fleets where I live, I have seen Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, and Hyundai/Kia's. The vast majority of these have been sedans, although I have seen a few compact trucks, vans and SUV's.
This isn't going to end any time soon, if ever.

Pretty good mix here in our neighborhood. On my cul-de-sac, we have 6 houses. Of the 13 vehicles, 46% are non-domestic brands (Honda, Toyota, VW, Rover), 54% are domestic nameplates (Chevy, Ford, Dodge). This tends to hold true throughout the development, with most houses having one non-domestic brand vehicle and a domestic brand vehicle. Our friend a few houses down the street has a Lincoln and a Hyundai. His neighbor has a GMC and an Infiniti, etc. Just seems to be close to 50/50 up and down the street.

you see a good mix around here, but weighted towards 3 manufacturers,(in no particular order) Ford, GM, Honda.

here in town we have a Ford engine plant, hour or so north is a GM Engine Foundry, and within a circle of a hour's drive radius, we have a Honda Engine plant, Honda Transmission plant, 2 Honda Assembly plants, and countless Honda Suppliers......

if I just go within my own family, out to First Cousins and spouses(on dad's side, mom's family is out west)
Ford: 9 (includes 2 Lincolns)
Chevy: 5
Dodge: 4
Indian: 1 (my Cousin Frank recently rode his Indian MC on a solo 7k+ mi tour of the west. out to the Grand canyon, up to Crater Lake, bypassed Mt Rushmore for some reason )

Back