Dearth of American Auto Brands in My Area

My son has a 2018 XT5 … not that old but I seriously doubt it will be more problematic than some German vehicles
I would think so too, the XT5 seems a decent size for a family of 4, the XT4 is too small. I was surprised how solid feeling the little Lincoln SUV is, not much quieter on the hwy or smoother on big bumps than our Outback, but it had small bump/broken pavement absorption figured out, much better than our Outback.

I would think so too, the XT5 seems a decent size for a family of 4, the XT4 is too small. I was surprised how solid feeling the little Lincoln SUV is, not much quieter on the hwy or smoother on big bumps than our Outback, but it had small bump/broken pavement absorption figured out, much better than our Outback.
My wife’s friend has an XT4 … she is divorced and lives alone - big enough for her …

You can only buy what is available. In my area of Central Florida, Half the cars are (sedans) Hyundai or Kia. Now Hyundai and Kia are making and selling SUV’s also.

I want a sedan. (Yes one of my present cars, my Regal Tour-X is a wagon, a Long Roof Sedan).
Neither of my “sedans” give me problems.
Kia Cadenza made in Korea.
Buick Tour-X (Opal) made in Germany using an American engine and Japan transmission.

Neither car gives me problems.
I would love to buy “American” brands, but with no sedans, (I HATE SUV’s) I have to buy “Foreign” brands.

I was surprised recently to see a Hyundai Santa Fe used as an unmarked police car. It was parked with red and blue emergency lights flashing in the grille and back window with other local cop cars. This SUV is made in the US.
That's nothing.

Infiniti FX
BMW...

All car brands are built all over the world. They are comprised of parts that are sourced from all over the world. And the stockholders of all the auto manufacturers live all over the world.

Not anymore.
well.. yes/no..
Chrysler (USA)
FIAT (Italian)
FCA- The merger of Fiat (Italian) and Chrysler (USA) yet headquartered in Amsterdam (Netherlands), with Financial HQ in London (England).
Stelantis - the Merger of PSA(France) and FCA - headquartered in Amsterdam.

perfectly straight forward and clear no?

Buick Tour-X (Opal) made in Germany using an American engine and Japan transmission.
1)(admittedly pedantic) It's Opel, with an e... which was the German branch of GM, which is why the VIN should start with a "W", for "West Germany", and is now Part of Stellantis.
PSA bought Opel from GM, and then then merged with FCA. yes, some how your (Opel)Buick, became a Puegot, and is now a Mopar.....
giphy.gif

I'm all about Japanese brands like Subaru and Honda and have been for 20 years now. Probably the only American brand vehicles that I would consider buying at this point are the Ford Explorer and F-150.

I live in Colorado and this is truck country so every truck made is here somewhere. With G.M,Ford and Ram predominant.
Every now and then I see some foreign nameplates on trucks.
But just nameplates(not where they are assembled) besides the trucks the foreign vehicle's out number domestic's.
I was on vacation in California(great to visit but not to live) L.A to San Diego I thought there were nothing but BMW dealerships.
I've never seen so many bimmers in one area.

Having just gone through the car shopping process - my wife and I discussed some domestic options (Ford, Chevy) but quickly decided to pass.

We moved to the various Japanese options before deciding on a German brand. My wife preferred the aesthetic and I didn’t mind the drivetrain.

I would typically prefer a Japanese marque but they seem to be lagging in the design department - and I’m tired of them sandbagging their brand “reliability” by using ancient tech.

Ours was built in Chattanooga, TN, so thanks Tennessee.

We have a pretty decent mix in my area. I've got one American and one Japanese brand vehicle although both were assembled here in the USA. I've owned somewhere around 20-25 vehicles including American, Japanese, and Korean brands. Public perception that Japanese cars are more reliable certainly has a hand in people's buying patterns and I think that at one time that was probably a fair estimation. However, I think this gap has narrowed over time and my personal opinion is that today even if Japanese brands may be slightly "more reliable" that doesn't mean that American brands are "unreliable". That being said, the realist in me does not see our auto industry ever returning to its former glory.

My opinion is just that.

I own an American-made SUV. But it would take massive change for me to buy an American brand vehicle. They don't impress me. I don't like them. I think they're junk.

As car guys, I like to think that we think deeper than the average consumer when it comes to writing off an entire continent of vehicle. There are plenty of American, Asian and German cars I would never buy...while at the same time there are plenty of American, Asian and German vehicles I would love to own.

Most of the vehicles I've owned have been GM or Chrysler. A few VWs, a Mercedes and a Ford sprinkled in....all have been solid and nothing I would even consider calling junk.

I know I missed the carbureted malaise era but c'mon, we can do better.

Last edited:
This topic has been discussed a lot. I’ve posted this before and I’ll gladly post it again. “ Most (over half) of “ foreign vehicles” sold in the USA are actually assembled in the USA.

As for some strong American brands, the Ford 6.7 Turbo Diesel sounds pretty American. The engine is assembled in Mexico.

Last edited:
As car guys, I like to think that we think deeper than the average consumer when it comes to writing off an entire continent of vehicle. There are plenty of American, Asian and German cars I would never buy...while at the same time there are plenty of American, Asian and German vehicles I would love to own.

Most of the vehicles I've owned have been GM or Chrysler. A few VWs, a Mercedes and a Ford sprinkled in....all have been solid and nothing I would even consider calling junk.

I know I missed the carbureted malaise era but c'mon, we can do better.
As a car guy, there is exactly ONE car from an American marque that I'd like to own - the Camaro.

I'm glad you like GM and Chrysler. I don't. And every time I'm in one I'm reminded of why. The vast majority of their cars are crap (again, my opinion) and the ones that aren't (supposedly) still aren't something I'd want to own.

Oh they're better than Nissan???

That's not exactly a high bar.
You should know by know that MOST cars are garbage; Just a few gems to be mined in the silt

I've owned over 75 cars and trucks, most from new, and only a handfull were great cars. On the GREAT Side was a 1965 Buick Electra 225, a 1967 Chevelle SS396 4 speed and a 1981 Chevrolet S10 STD Cab/ Short box V6/4M.
On the Absolute Garbage side was a Renault Fuego, a Mazda 626 and various Fords.

I liked my 1988 VW Fox though is was fraught with major quality issues. My 1983 Scirocco was great, but WAY too slow. The Jetta was interesting, but about as far from what anyone would define as a Rabbit or Jetta. I would call it a rebadged, Euro cheap Škoda.

Having Driven and maintained cars through five decades, you get a wider perspective. What year would I beam back to?

The mid 60s and grab a few American built gems.

You should know by know that MOST cars are garbage; Just a few gems to be mined in the silt

I've owned over 75 cars and trucks, most from new, and only a handfull were great cars. On the GREAT Side was a 1965 Buick Electra 225, a 1967 Chevelle SS396 4 speed and a 1981 Chevrolet S10 STD Cab/ Short box V6/4M.
On the Absolute Garbage side was a Renault Fuego, a Mazda 626 and various Fords.

I liked my 1988 VW Fox though is was fraught with major quality issues. My 1983 Scirocco was great, but WAY too slow. The Jetta was interesting, but about as far from what anyone would define as a Rabbit or Jetta. I would call it a rebadged, Euro cheap Škoda.

Having Driven and maintained cars through five decades, you get a wider perspective. What year would I beam back to?

The mid 60s and grab a few American built gems.
Different strokes I guess.

You couldn't pay me to drive a car from the 60's.

Back