Dealing with IRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I considered but it's very intrusive. You need to register through ID.me. ID.me requires you to scan your drivers license and scan your face using your smart phone.
They must have changed it. When I signed up over a year ago none of that was required.

They must have changed it. When I signed up over a year ago none of that was required.
They must have added the ID.me feature not to long ago. I don't remember the button when I looked earlier this year.

1655226996149.jpg

I've ran into a couple issues with the IRS over the past 45 years and have always sent the proof to clear up the issue through the USPS. If it were me I'd send the proof in with a copy of their letter but be sure to keep copies for yourself.

If a paper tax return is filed, the check will be cashed way before the return is processed. The IRS has millions of tax returns not yet processed from years before 2021. The past due letters are automatically sent.

I just got a bill from the IRS for a small penalty because I did not have enough withheld. The letter does not even have an address to mail in a check. They want the payment done electronically if possible.

How do you reach a live person at IRS? I received a notice that I did not pay 2021 taxes based on my filing however I have proof I paid via processed check which was verified w/ my bank. How do I prove I paid if I cant get in touch with anyone? Do I just mail my due notice w/ proof of prior payment?
Good advice so far. Make sure it's legit and deal with them through USPS.
I would mail them the documents proving that I filed and paid on time. Before sending, check and confirm the address so it's not an identify theft scam.
Also make sure to always use certified mail. That way when they lose your mail and accuse you of not responding (and you can count on it, they will), you can prove you did respond.

Years ago there you could arrange an in person talk with an agent at the local IRS office. If you are near any major city they probably have an office there. If you can not get through on a phone to make an appointment now-days, you might have to stop by to make an appointment in person if there is still an opened office. That would be 2 trips, but after you do sit down with an agent they will process everything to correct any problem providing you bring everything you should.

Years ago I did that once down-town Pittsburgh PA. I have not had to do that for a long time, so I do not know how that would go now-days.

They closed many of those due to C19.

If a paper tax return is filed, the check will be cashed way before the return is processed. The IRS has millions of tax returns not yet processed from years before 2021. The past due letters are automatically sent.
My check to the IRS was cashed (cleared my bank) only 12 days after I mailed my return. Haven't got a letter yet from the IRS that I hadn't paid them. Just logged into my IRS account, and it shows the payment was received by the IRS. I doubt they would send me a letter except to possibly say I did my taxes wrong and owe them more money.

I think the OP's payment isn't recorded as being processed by the IRS. If they showed it to be received and processed, I doubt he would have received the notification he did.

Not sure how our tax guy could help at this point
Because if he's been doing this for a while he's seen it before and should know how to shortcut to the right person or department to fix it for you. You don't seem too enthused to enlist his help. If our finance guy wasn't interested in helping he'd be our ex finance guy.

Wishing you good luck getting this resolved on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back