Dealing with IRS

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you reach a live person at IRS? I received a notice that I did not pay 2021 taxes based on my filing however I have proof I paid via processed check which was verified w/ my bank. How do I prove I paid if I cant get in touch with anyone? Do I just mail my due notice w/ proof of prior payment?

Did you receive this notice in a email or phone call ?
If so, it’s bogus & fraudulent.
The IRS will only contact you by USPS.
You can also get help from whomever did your taxes unless you did your own.
If you do mail in your proof, make sure you have extra on file.

official mail through USPS. The person who did our taxes said I should just send them proof of payment however I would like to confirm w/ the IRS as the current invoice has interest and penalties attached. I don't want penalties to keep accruing as I try and figure this out. I'm just trying to prove to them I already paid.

Did you receive this notice in a email or phone call ?
If so, it’s bogus & fraudulent.
The IRS will only contact you by USPS.
You can also get help from whomever did your taxes unless you did your own.
If you do mail in your proof, make sure you have extra on file.
I have had a lot of dealings with the IRS and CharBaby is correct, they only contact you thru the mail.
E-mails and phone calls are scams.

I have called several times. they do not allow you to wait on hold. the prompts tell you they are busy and to try again later.

Reply via USPS. I would imagine the letter you got tells you how to proceed.
Get a copy if the check; you can probably do that on-line with your bank.
Send it to them.

Start a log file of everything starting with the date of the letter they sent you.
I did my father and others taxes for years. I went through a similar thing with the IRS one year on my Dad's taxes.
Scared the heck outta him. But I had all the proof and finally they agrees I was correct.

Good luck; stick to your guns. Finally, I think your tax preparer is a jerk.

Regardless of the OP's problem, the IRS is now scrutinizing many items closely, including the number of dependents claimed by those in lower income brackets. Also, despite long term staffing shortages, the IRS is now placing 10's of thousands of new agents in positions to "recover" missing taxes.

Note: I have no deductions. No mortgage, have no kids and don't claim any expenses, I take the standard deduction. Yet they come after me year after year. Recently for underpayment and the associated fines. Yet, I paid in full, before the due date. Even with a stone simple return and overpayments from prior years that roll-over to the next, they make life complex and present the situation as if I owed thousands.

The only solution is to pay, then take the time to fight it and prevail, thereby avoid the constant threats of financial confiscation.

They make mistakes. Sometimes it seems intentional.

I have called several times. they do not allow you to wait on hold. the prompts tell you they are busy and to try again later.
Maybe this has changed since I last called 3 years ago but I did get to speak with a human multiple times, albeit after a long 30+ minute wait. Have all your documents ready including previous tax returns since they will ask you to verify items.

Regardless of the OP's problem, the IRS is now scrutinizing many items closely, including the number of dependents claimed by those in lower income brackets. Also, despite long term staffing shortages, the IRS is now placing 10's of thousands of new agents in positions to "recover" missing taxes.
The only solution is to pay, then take the time to fight it and prevail, thereby avoid the constant threats of financial confiscation.

They make mistakes. Sometimes it seems intentional.

Yes seems like they would rather go after 500 people who may owe 1000-2000$
vs 1 person scamming 6 digits.
because that crook would have lawyers.

When I bought my house(and moved) I had an issue with local tax.. they said I never paid.
They were the nastiest a-holes on the phone.. it was sweet when I proved I paid it and they actually owed me 26$
Due to a small error.

Years ago there you could arrange an in person talk with an agent at the local IRS office. If you are near any major city they probably have an office there. If you can not get through on a phone to make an appointment now-days, you might have to stop by to make an appointment in person if there is still an opened office. That would be 2 trips, but after you do sit down with an agent they will process everything to correct any problem providing you bring everything you should.

Years ago I did that once down-town Pittsburgh PA. I have not had to do that for a long time, so I do not know how that would go now-days.

You can sign-up for your own account on IRS.gov ... it shows a lot of information on all your IRS payments history, etc.

I would not do this alone. Find a accountant or tax attorney to help you out. Keep detailed records of everything.

Yet another reason we use a CPA . He would have squashed that immediately . I know CPA's aren't for everybody but he has been worth every penny we paid him .

I remember my grandmother getting mail from the IRS one year that said she owed $1. That's how efficient the IRS is. IDK how much money it costs to go through the process of notifying her but I'd be willing to bet it was more than $1.

You can sign-up for your own account on IRS.gov ... it shows a lot of information on all your IRS payments history, etc.

I considered but it's very intrusive. You need to register through ID.me. ID.me requires you to scan your drivers license and scan your face using your smart phone.

I would not do this alone. Find a accountant or tax attorney to help you out. Keep detailed records of everything.
our taxes were prepared properly. No issues there. We owed money, we paid the money (via check) but IRS evidently did not receive the check though I can prove otherwise. Not sure how our tax guy could help at this point

our taxes were prepared properly. No issues there. We owed money, we paid the money (via check) but IRS evidently did not receive the check though I can prove otherwise. Not sure how our tax guy could help at this point

Your bank should be able to give you copies of the check with the verifying information needed as proof.

The IRS is not known for their excellent customer service nor their system efficiency. You will be one gnat against a large herd of elephants.

Is the preparer legit? Did you pay him? If yes then he should help you with this, he should have a PTIN issued by the IRS. If he did the work and made you file then you may be on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back