Dealing with depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staying VERY ACTIVE - - is the number one helper for my depression.

Some call me a "workaholic"

I tell them its one of the few things that helps me keep my sanity.

Lot of good advice already here.

You stated you like history. Check out The History Guy on Youtube. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cjcride
Lot of good advice already here.

You stated you like history. Check out The History Guy on Youtube. Good stuff.

I'll do that. Thank you sir
wink.gif

Just to echo a few posts... Yes, alcohol is a depressant.
Drinking can be self medication.
I am celebrating 32 years in AA this month.

When you are ready, perhaps try and count your blessings.
None of us have to look to far to see others worse off than we.
Sue and I have a dear friend with HIV; he is a long term survivor. Been through [censored].
Another friend is a good, honest guy, but is 66 and lives week to week. Let's just say his friends help...
There are the homeless; the sick.

My mantra when I get down:
I haven't had a drink today. I am not in jail today. I am not in the hospital today.
What is the problem?

Best to you my friend.

Drink a lot of water and find a suana. Take a walk for about a hour everyday. In a few weeks you should feel better. Its that time of year when episodes become more prevalent.

You can also get lights that mimic sunlight if you have seasonal affective disorder. Knew another person who manifested depression but the cause was his thyroid. Sometimes a basiic medical workup from a primary care doctor will find unexpected causes.

Yeah my friend ease off the drinking... And the lack of sun doesn't help either at this time of year...

Like CT8 said the drink is a depressant.

I have struggled greatly at times with this circumstance. I have a scar on my left arm to prove it right over the artery.

I have learned how to handle circumstances better over time which has helped me a fair amount. Having counseling at times was very helpful. Don't be afraid to look into this avenue. The right person can be extremely helpful.

Like another astute member said... The drinking messes with your sleep which in turn has a downward effect all by itself. Ceasing that will help a lot all on it's own.

I'm here for ya Capt... Anytime. Sincerely, Bradley

Originally Posted by spasm3
Originally Posted by JHZR2

Get a high dose vitamin d supplement.

Good luck!

+1 Excellent advice. With people working indoors more that ever, low vitamin d levels are epidemic.

5000u is a starting place, get it checked at your next doctor visit.

Make sure you get Vitamin D with K2...

It's ok to be a funk once and a while, even for a couple of weeks, but when it lasts longer than that you have to find a way to get yourself out of it. Whether that's a hobby, a pet, something new in your life, or counseling and temporary medication.

Alcohol might work well in the moment but it will push you further into these feelings when it wears off and will eventually stop working all together.

cheers3.gif
Best of luck, it's not fun depending on how bad it can be.

Try to quit drinking before you hit rock bottom or have a near death experience. Sometimes it takes that to quit. Quit watching the news. Try to spend sometime reading books instead of the internet. Turn off your phone at night. All the little things add up and it takes time. A long time to change your ways unfortunately

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Quit watching the news.

Before we flew to the US in 2014, I realised that me son (then 9) was getting very very anxious...we tried to find out why...he was worried about plane crashes, terrorists, everything to do with the trip.

Then I realised...when I was a kid, mornings were cartoons...Sunday was Disneland...news was only 6--7:30 PM, then an hour of current affairs at 8PM...and that was if Dad watched the entirety of the news services available to him (and he did).

Now, it's 24/7...bad news...but not in this house.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Quit watching the news.

Before we flew to the US in 2014, I realised that me son (then 9) was getting very very anxious...we tried to find out why...he was worried about plane crashes, terrorists, everything to do with the trip.

Then I realised...when I was a kid, mornings were cartoons...Sunday was Disneland...news was only 6--7:30 PM, then an hour of current affairs at 8PM...and that was if Dad watched the entirety of the news services available to him (and he did).

News has become a drama which the players are better than soap actors with better writers. If the WWE wants to regain its audience from the 90's they will have to take them back from cable news.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Shannow
Quit watching the news.

News has become a drama which the players are better than soap actors with better writers. If the WWE wants to regain its audience from the 90's they will have to take them back from cable news.

Great, great post dave123...

I don't care for any of that junk stuff... All garbage.

I have not read all comments so if there is a repetition, pardon me.

I went through a bad phase of this. I have mentioned in the past that my son has autism. Immediately after his diagnosis, all I got was negative info. Had to quit my career/job to take his care and that added to it. Something I worked hard for years had to be given up. And finally, the cost of addressing autism bankrupted us. Just didn't have to file for bankruptcy. Never lived such penniless in my life so it was hard to deal with everything all at once.

Alcohol and antidepressants are too easy to get hands on, been there done that. Went to counseling but it didn't cut it, rather made me feel that it's my fault that I am in such a situation. But had to get my sheet together.

Researched a lot and believe it or not what really helped was Magnesium supplementation. The doctor called it bee ess. When you are in some kind of stress, first thing the body dumps is Magnesium. When you go for annual physical, ask a doc to run some standard tests and see where things are. If you have access to a floating pool, pay a few visits there. If you are Mg deficient, it will itch a LOT, but as body's Mg builds up, the itch goes away. (I know someone who works at VA hospital. He mentioned that drug-resistant PTSD patient help from the floating pools). If you decide to supplement orally, do not supplement Mag Oxide, supplement mixtures of Mg Malate, Mg Glycinate and Mg Citrate (citrate can lead to loose stools). You can also use Epsom salt in your bathtub and lie there 20 minutes every day in Epsom salt water.
Costco sells slow release 5-HTP. One tablet twice a day helps me avoid prescription antidepressant.

When it gets overwhelming, I either watch a comedy or just sleep.

YMMV, but stop using alcohol.

Just celebrated 16 years in AA and also had periods of deep depression. I visited AA even though I thought I was not addicted and stayed for the 16 years after hearing my story as told by others. My depression slowly went away when I became active in life by joining a gym. You must get active in life to succeed with life. Luck has little to do with it. Ed

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good evening folks. Lately, I have been somewhat depressed and drinking a bit more. Not a problem, but just been depressed for some reason. I enjoy being able to cut and post filters and enjoy the Autozone clearances. I have been reading more and watching less tv other than ROKU streaming.

Drinking will not help with depression, it allows you to ignore it until you are sober. And alcohol is a depressant. Exercise can help with depression. Getting more active interacting with people can help. Like a tennis clinic. Ski club? Exercise class. Yoga. Tai Chi.

Talk to your doctor, he can prescribe some medication like Paxil that will stabilize your mood a little. You will not realize the drug is helping but it will. May take 2-3 weeks.

Do go to pound and see if any of the dogs or cats really appeal to you. Recently a large dog that had been abandoned came into my life and I've bonded with it. I've found that the simple need to exercise it twice a day has benefited me considerably, both mentally and physically. Think about it, don't rush into it unless you can feel committed to the animal.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Chris142
Don't forget cats too.

This!!

Yea! Cats are great pets. Very affectionate. All of ours (3) like to get on your lap or climb up on your chest and purr right in your ear. Its great! They are playful, clean and they poop in a box so you don't have to let them out multiple times a day. Our dog is a good companion, though she loves jeep rides and hikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back