Dealing with a wack manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BossMoss
The store manager told me, "I have eyes. I see how he treats you."

But yet he does nothing? Maybe it's time to talk to HIS manager or HR if available.

What happens when manager tells BossMoss to take the trash out at the end of the day.

BossMoss goes outside and in back of the store the guy challenges BossMoss to settle their differences like a man and proceeds to take a swing at BossMoss...

Don't let such a clown push you around. DON'T KEEP SECRETS FOR HIM. Disclose every unsavoury thing he's ever said about other staff/managers with the implicated parties. DO NOT KEEP SECRETS FOR HIM.

These scumbags litter virtually every workspace. Once had a "superior" who wrote me up for investigations for any little thing. One time it was leaving the property for lunch. This guy would screw up and then put it on us to correct it. He'd check his emails too late about a job, and then expect me to sort that job out in time. Once it was impossible to correct his screw up and then he turned around and blamed it on me. Not once did I mention that it was not my fault for that, suprevisors started demanding answers from HIM in which he patched that supervisor to ME during aheavy workload. I declined to take that call at the time and then got investigated HARD for insubordination. I have never made the mistake about being gracious to abusers in the work place ever again, and YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER. Don't let him get away with his carp EVER AGAIN and let everyone know about the crap he talks.

You said a manager. Is this your manager or a manager of a different department who likes to overstretch his boundaries?

If the manager sees how this assistant manager is treating you and doesn't stop it. It means that it is in fact sanctioned by the manager. I don't know the OP or his workplace. It would be interesting to hear both managers sides of the story. I have seen plenty of relatively new hired employees shown the door over the years. They always blame everyone except themselves. Not a single one was worth a dang. I'm not saying that is always the case and is the case with the op. Just curious what the other side of the story may be.

Would LOVE to add to this thread...but best I can offer is war stories over a beer, not a public forum.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

No one was fired, but I made it very clear to HR that it will never happen again.

I really WANT to know how you did this, in words, comments etc. The reason, I have been this place and the HR didn't have [censored] to deal with this so they were trying to be 'neutral' when this guy had a long history of such comments. It didn't impress me that they were giving him the 'benefit of the doubt'. So I made it explicitly clear to them literally in these words if you don't have [censored] to do your job, you should resign and let some competent person take over. Nobody was fired or written up but I made sure that the other guy understood, that there won't be 'nice' next time through the same HR.

I didn't want to use profanity but I could see no other way to get the feelings across.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
What happens when manager tells BossMoss to take the trash out at the end of the day.

BossMoss goes outside and in back of the store the guy challenges BossMoss to settle their differences like a man and proceeds to take a swing at BossMoss...

It rarely happens. The majority of the time when you tell "men" these days who try to start stuff is OK female dog who had pups lets go and throw your hands down these "tough guys" start talking to themselves, turn red and walk away.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

It rarely happens. The majority of the time when you tell "men" these days who try to start stuff is OK female dog who had pups lets go and throw your hands down these "tough guys" start talking to themselves, turn red and walk away.

Yeah, you never see guys that really know how to throw a punch. Real life fighting isn't like the movies, one or two moves and the guy should be out. I use to do boxing and kickboxing. If you throw a punch right or do some grappling, I'm not sure most people could take it. Those guys in the ring have training, gear and follow the rules. The street is no rules, no training and no gear. Course if you know what you're doing, you never get into those situations.

STEP 1: Tell the store manager you are putting in resumes at other businesses, and ask if you can use him as a reference.

Originally Posted by beanoil
The advice to move on is the best here. You must realize you are surrounded by stupidity, and have a character trait that is making you see it's wrong. Good for you.

Don't burn any bridges - use this place as a stepping stone for something better.

Don't quit until you already have a new job lined up.

I had one manager call me in to the office as said CT8 have you wondered why I never call you into the office? I just looked at him .I could have told him because you are a moron. It wasn't worth the effort. He said it is because I can tell I don't intimidate you. My dad taught me to do the best that you can do .What ever it takes. tools ,education ,working longer,harder, properly etc. And if you do that and you are not treated well find another job where you will be happy. I was treated like gold at my work place from the owner down it was a great company to work for..

The skill is to recognize and interpret the personalities/motivations of those you deal with. That way you anticipate, avoid and prevent workplace confrontations.

When you realize some of their motivations, you can easily predict their actions and reactions. With skill and experience, you will have people you can't stand, like you and respect you. They don't have to know what you really think of them. Be the likable guy and move on to better things when the time is right, and never burn a bridge.

Last edited:
At this job, a manager is really wack. He tries to snitch on me over the smallest things to the store manager. I go on my phone bc the manager at my other job is making the schedule and needs to hear back from me. He starts getting angry, telling me get off the phone. I get off the phone. This guy literally complains about anything about me.

Here's an example: we are talking the day before Thanksgiving, and he says, "off the record, don't tell anyone, I'll know it was you." Proceeds to speak poorly of the store manager. I say I'm thinking of not showing up Thanksgiving. What I said reached the store manager's ear from his mouth. But I didn't say anything about what he said to anyone.

So you can tell I'm dealing with a classy guy.

Anyways, a few minutes after the phone issue, I notice he has his shirt untucked. I don't particularly care, but this is a guy who complains about the smallest things. Let's call him Mitch (because it rhymes with snitch).

"Mitch, I think you should tuck your shirt in."

"I'm this close to firing you; don't push me." At this point he is seething.

"I think I would prefer that. I don't like hypocrites."

"The door is right there."

I just walked away from him. If I left, it would be me quitting. He doesn't have the authority to fire or hire.

It just seems so childish to me. He's already going all out in war against me, so there's really no love lost if I complain about him on anything.

Everybody else there sees how he treats me, and literally by far he's the only one I have any "beef" with there. As in, I have no friction with anyone else. If it was multiple people I'm having beef with, I would need to look at myself some more. But it's one guy.

I think he feels threatened by me so he goes all out in war efforts to make me look bad. We do the computer training, and I finished everything in a few hours. Normally people take three days, 8 hour shifts for 3 days. Or at least others in the store took that long. Esp Mitch. He sees me rising up in the ranks a bit, and I might take his spot in the pecking order, I guess.

He once told me, "if you stock things in the wrong spot, I'll kick your [censored]." I didn't say anything. Threatening a coworker would be grounds for termination at any work place, I imagine. The list goes on and on of things I could complain about.

How do I deal with this guy.

here is what you should do. Find another job and then put in your notice....but say you are open to staying. When they ask why, tell them of the abuse you are taking. See if his manager will do the right thing. If not, its not worth staying.

Get another job, quit, and tell the owner that the dirtbag manager is your reason for leaving.

"Assistant Managers" are retail-speak for salaried slaves, who work over 40 hours a week, and still make peanuts because they don't get overtime.

Since your AM can't even make personnel decisions, the company is skating on thin ice on the legality of (mis)classifying this manager in the first place.

This whole bucket of nimrods can sink itself-- you can do better. In Xmas season you can do retail somewhere else tomorrow if you want, and stick around after the holidays. Don't feel like you have to give 2 weeks if they are psychologically torturing you.

Originally Posted by JTK
Is this job worth dealing with this?

I have a hunch the OP going to have issues everywhere he is very self focused. Looking out for yourself is a necessity but if your outlook is me first and foremost for your career it is very difficult to find happiness. If a supervisor is incompetent the process will find him quick. The OP should find a career he enjoys and find a balance between him at the world.

So many replies, where do I begin.

WyrTwister, yes, just like laws of nature like gravity, equal and opposite reactions happen spiritually. There was a stretch in my life where everything that would happen to me, I could see the poetic justice in it. Hard to give an example, but for example if I formed a random opinion about something, anything... The same opinion would bite me later on, when something happens and clearly the philosophy I formed applied to me. The poetry of it was so... spot on.

Wolf359, One guy working there told me, you're new so you can mess up here and there. It won't start counting against you until like 6 months in. Thanksgiving I didn't show because they didn't need me. I

To everyone saying record it (or log it), yeah, I guess I could. From now on I will. My iPhone SE has the note app. A heavily discounted, quietly launched phone. Good if you can live with a smaller screen, but this is a different discussion.

Soinker, the store manager is in a tough spot. He's a genuinely good guy. He let me know that he sees what's going on. And as no one else complains about me, Mitch's "crying wolf" gets less and less traction. He really works hard, good family man, super dedicated to the store. Goes out of his way to be nice to everyone. I can't imagine myself complaining about him to HR. The no. 2 manager in the store is also dedicated to the job. He would clock out and keep working, practically living there bc things just have to get done. This is their livelihood, and I can't see myself taking a shot at hard working, dedicated men. It would have to be pretty ugly for me to complain about the top two in the store.

It's not their fault this guy has a passion for being miserable. It needs company.

I think I'm going to say something like, "Look, we can get into the weeds of it, but I think Mitch would be a lot happier if he saw a psychologist, got better diet, and some exercise."

The #2 told me "just don't give him anything to harp about. Just do your work, and he can't complain." Yeah, this. Don't leave any room for him to say ish about me.

Phone? Go into the bathroom for it. One person room, so it should not be a problem.

i even heard another worker say the same thing I did about this Mitch: he gets on people for doing something that he himself does. For example, If I stick my head in the back for a sec for a quick bite of a snack, he gets upset that I'm not working. Ok, fine. But I see him eating pizza when there's a line of customers. He said he worked all day and skipped lunch because it was so busy and just needed a quick bite --and I would not complain bc I get it. We have all been there at some point. It just amazes me that he can't see the same with me. The guy who complains about the smallest things is upset bc someone else complains about small things about him. Even though I didn't complain; I just said, "you're eating when there's a line" to him and not to the top managers in the store. It's fine that he needed to chow quickly. I get it.

It's like, should I risk being the same as him, by complaining about every little thing?

One thing is, the top guys in the store RARELY mention any of Mitch's complaints to me. He can complain about the same issue 5 times, and they won't mention it. For example, customer comes in. Asks a technical question that an experienced mechanic or someone who worked there like 2 or 3 years could answer but no way I could answer. So I get Mitch to answer it. There's a line of people. So I go to the next customer and help them. Mitch complains that I'm dumping my customers and not finishing it. But it's such a technical issue, that if another guy with the same issue came in two minutes later, I still couldn't answer it even if I paid close attention to the first one. I try to get through the line, and he's upset that I'm "abandoning customers." The other guys don't complain about this bc they're happy that the line is going down. But this guy.

And about the physical fighting, my heart starts to race a bit and I feel my body getting ready and sensing a fight about to happen. When he tries to seethingly (a real word? Is now) tell me something like "I'm the manager, you don't tell me what to do, I tell you what to do!" That's his response when I told him relax after telling me get off my phone angrily. I think I need to tell him clearly "don't get an aggressive tone as if you're about to fight me, all while approaching me in an aggressive manner. Don't get in my face like that again."

I really do need to mention this part to the store manager though. He's acting like he wants to bait me into throwing the first punch by making me feel like an attack is imminent from him.

He's out of shape. I think I can dodge hits a lot faster than him, let him wear himself out if it ever got to that point. I don't think that's a good look for me at all though.

Let me keep reading the replies and post in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back