Dealership Service Writers / Dropping Off for Warranty Work

What a bad experience. There has to be something wrong to need 5 miles before good heat comes out. My Golf has warmish air in half a mile, parked outside, 20 degree cold. Even my 7.3 diesel van has heat inside of two miles.

Sure it's not fair for the tech to not get paid.

Take it up with the dealership, as if I understand, it's the dealership, not the manufacturer who will pay or not pay the tech.

Now the dealership may or may not get reimbursed by the manufacturer, but that's part of the cost of being a dealer for them. Dealers get a somewhat exclusive relationship with the manufacturer. I.E. I'm not going to be able to go to Mazda and start ordering cars and put out my shingle as a Mazda dealership. Only AUTHORIZED dealers in their network are allowed to do that.

If a dealership want to sell new cars, part of the arrangement is they service the cars. If a tech is not getting paid, that's between the dealership and the tech.

All the customer knows is they have a car that is not performing as expected. Don't insert the customer into the relationship between the tech, the dealership and the manufacturer. It only erodes customer satisfaction.

I agree, let them know that if what is found is DAMAGE, such as rodents eating wires, and so on, they may be liable for the costs.

But leave the whole idea about techs getting paid or not getting paid or dealerships getting reimbursed or not behind the curtain. The customer just wants his car fixed.

Originally Posted by cb_13
We have to make the customer aware of the fact that they will be responsible for the diagnostic fee if something is found to not be under warranty. I always use the example of rodent damage to wiring.

Someone stated that it is not fair to be charged on something under warranty but I'd argue that it's not fair for a flat rate tech to not receive pay for diagnostic time just because of the age/mileage of the vehicle either. It's all in how you explain it. In all reality if the customer blows up about just the potential for paying for diagnostic if the cause is not warrantable that's probably not a customer I'm interested in keeping.

Originally Posted by dareo
What a bad experience. There has to be something wrong to need 5 miles before good heat comes out. My Golf has warmish air in half a mile, parked outside, 20 degree cold. Even my 7.3 diesel van has heat inside of two miles.

It's far more than 5 miles. I was saying I usually don't get good heat till about 5 miles left of my typical 25 mile trip. The CX5 I'm in as a loner, on the other hand, was warm before I was on the highway...about 3-4 miles into my commute. My 2003 accord would be warm before I was out of my neighborhood, but that's not comparing apples to apples. The CX5 to my 6 should be very comparable.

Someone in this forum made the statement not a customer of mine. I don't bring up the techs pay plans to customers it's really none of their concern. It's just way easier to prep them for the possibility of something not being covered beforehand than to try to get them to agree to pay after the issue has been found. Which would also raise the issue of would they actually be responsible for diagnostic charges if they were not told of them beforehand?

I tell them if we find the issue to be caused by something not warrantable like rodent damage or something along those lines our diagnostic charge is $XX. At that point we will give you a call, let you know parts and labor cost, amount of time the repair will take to be completed and see if you wish to proceed.

That has saved me multiple times on vehicles with rodent damage and some will even warn ahead of time that they've seen droppings in the garage near their car and would not be surprised.

I can only think of one person that has blown up over it and like I said previously I would rather not deal with unreasonable people anyway.

Sometimes you need to fire a customer. Sometimes a customer needs to fire a shop.

I do agree, phrase it so it's clear that if what is found is damage, not a defect, the customer should expect to pay.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Sure it's not fair for the tech to not get paid.

Take it up with the dealership, as if I understand, it's the dealership, not the manufacturer who will pay or not pay the tech.

Now the dealership may or may not get reimbursed by the manufacturer, but that's part of the cost of being a dealer for them. Dealers get a somewhat exclusive relationship with the manufacturer. I.E. I'm not going to be able to go to Mazda and start ordering cars and put out my shingle as a Mazda dealership. Only AUTHORIZED dealers in their network are allowed to do that.

If a dealership want to sell new cars, part of the arrangement is they service the cars. If a tech is not getting paid, that's between the dealership and the tech.

All the customer knows is they have a car that is not performing as expected. Don't insert the customer into the relationship between the tech, the dealership and the manufacturer. It only erodes customer satisfaction.

I agree, let them know that if what is found is DAMAGE, such as rodents eating wires, and so on, they may be liable for the costs.

But leave the whole idea about techs getting paid or not getting paid or dealerships getting reimbursed or not behind the curtain. The customer just wants his car fixed.

Originally Posted by cb_13
We have to make the customer aware of the fact that they will be responsible for the diagnostic fee if something is found to not be under warranty. I always use the example of rodent damage to wiring.

Someone stated that it is not fair to be charged on something under warranty but I'd argue that it's not fair for a flat rate tech to not receive pay for diagnostic time just because of the age/mileage of the vehicle either. It's all in how you explain it. In all reality if the customer blows up about just the potential for paying for diagnostic if the cause is not warrantable that's probably not a customer I'm interested in keeping.

This! But I will say with the soy-based wire insulation attracting rodents why not also dip them in peanut butter and then sit there surprised some animal tried to eat them?

Last edited:
Did you buy car at dealer and also has it been there before? Makes a large difference. That is mainly why I use dealer for oil changes while under warranty to establish a relationship.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by clinebarger
EVERY Mechanic/Technician has done free inspections & diagnostic work.....It's part of the life!

I'm not a lawyer, but assume that could get the dealer in trouble. If a tech complained to the state labor board for not getting paid on hours worked, the dealer could be fined.

I'm sure a tech could also complain about finishing a job in an hour that the customer paid three hours labor on...no?

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
EVERY Mechanic/Technician has done free inspections & diagnostic work.....It's part of the life!

I'm not a lawyer, but assume that could get the dealer in trouble. If a tech complained to the state labor board for not getting paid on hours worked, the dealer could be fined.

I'm sure a tech could also complain about finishing a job in an hour that the customer paid three hours labor on...no?

The tech works for the dealer not the customer, so no.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Did you buy car at dealer and also has it been there before? Makes a large difference. That is mainly why I use dealer for oil changes while under warranty to establish a relationship.

I bought it there as well as buying into their service plan which gives me a loaner for life, alignments, unlimited car washes, a detail a year, $70 off parts or service every 6 months, etc.

But no, I don't use them for service. I'm a tech and prefer to do my own work.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules

The tech works for the dealer not the customer, so no.

I don't think you're getting how flat rate works. Techs get paid a pre-determined amount for the job (if it becomes one), not a per-hour wage. There is no "getting paid on hours worked" unless they're an hourly employee. If you're saying it's unfair that a tech checks something and doesn't get paid for it, it's also unfair for a tech to receive three book hours for a job that actually took them two hours. It goes both ways and good flat-rate techs can make out like bandits.

i see, more like 15-20 miles before its warmed up. Gotta be a bad thermostat, that much driving could heat up your entire coolant supply.

Last edited:
if you asked for an oil change and something and then asked to look at x,y, z I am guessing they would be more apt to skip the diagnosis fee for items not found.

I have never showed up at dealer unless something easily reproduced with an issue. Usually a small bite of paid work then they check something else.

I hope this gets settled for you. The SkyActiv engines are programmed to warm up quickly. My heater is putting out heat in no time.

Regarding the clunk, it might be a motor mount. There was a TSB on the motor mounts especially in colder climates. It would be worth a shot.

Dealerships regardless of the brand are a hit and miss.

I just got a call but can't get back in touch with them. The gist of the voice mail was

-clacking noise was the brakes and there was a shim kit to fix it.
-key fob battery was dead? Which I checked it with a voltmeter, I'd have replaced my battery if I thought they was the problem. Both the operable and inoperable remote checked the same. They didn't call for approval but it's $12 i won't raise an issue about that.
-everything else, no problem found...

even the forward camera that I showed pictures of my part number which corresponds to the known issues and has its own TSB

I'm going to ask that they drive it early in the morning when cold again. The farming up and front end noises bother me the most, especially after driving this CX 5 that warms up normally on my same exact route.

Originally Posted by t1snwrbrdr12
-key fob battery was dead? Which I checked it with a voltmeter, I'd have replaced my battery if I thought they was the problem. Both the operable and inoperable remote checked the same.

One thing about batteries that has been emphasized here repeatedly is volts isn't an accurate measure of battery condition.

-key fob battery was dead? Which I checked it with a voltmeter, I'd have replaced my battery if I thought they was the problem. Both the operable and inoperable remote checked the same.

One thing about batteries that has been emphasized here repeatedly is volts isn't an accurate measure of battery condition.

Agreed but it's a key fob battery. No real way to load test that.

I just use my remote tester.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I just use my remote tester.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

It was nice having access to all special tools working at a dealer. Now I'm in about the most antiquated fleet of the country so I have nothing up to date like that to utilize.

You can remove the battery and load test it that way. I am not sure what size resistor that I would use though.

Back