Dealer says 5-20 ok when 5-30 spec'd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford 2.0 ecoboost in a 2015 escape.

I went for an oil change at the Ford dealer I bought my vehicle at. They put 5-20 in and I called them on it as my manual and oil cap spec 5-30. They're reply was that 5-20 is what they use in that vehicle and everything will be ok. No maybe it will be ok but I like to follow the manual for warrantee sake. I'm getting them to change it but they insist on charging me the difference between the bulk oil they put in and the bottled 5-30. I'm kind of upset. Should I be?

I wouldn't freak over it but as a customer it's your right.
If you ain't happy and the manual specifies only 5w30- they should eat it...

I'd be upset about them going against mfg spec and blowing you off the way they did. I wouldn't pay a single penny to them.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Talk to to service manager

+1 on this. I'd tell them that unless he can show you a genuine ford TSB stating that 5w20 is approved in that car, they need to make it right.

Protect yourself. Get it in writing or get it changed at their expense. Warranty claims are serious business. Believe that the manufacturer knows more about your vehicle than the dealer.

Go on their google page and give them one star and a flaming....if they don't have a google page don't go back.

Not really.... That is the bulk oil THEY use..........
You know how many Ford-GM etc use the bulk oil no matter what the car calls for.
Who needs 0w20, 5w30, and so on when you can slap in a non offending 5w20.........
Just a play on words.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Dealer is wrong. The 2.0L EB takes 5W30 end of story. The 1.0, 1.5, and 1.6L Ecoboost engines take 5W20.

It's OK in that your engine very likely won't blowup during the warranty period, but if 5W20 would get the motor to pass fords durability testing, that's what it would say on the cap. Probably if you aren't towing up a hill out of death valley you are fine, but only Ford knows and they spec'd 5W30.
I'd get them to put in the right stuff from a jug, since they haven't proven trust worthy so far, no need to change the filter. You can decide if you want to go back after that.

If it specs 5W30 on your oil cap, why would they put in 5W20? Most dealers will go by what's on the oil cap as it is a quick reference guide if they are not sure.

I wouldn't worry about it, you have the reciept stating that's what they put in, any warranty problems down the road and your covered
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I wouldn't worry about it, you have the reciept stating that's what they put in, any warranty problems down the road and your covered
56.gif

This.

Yes agreed. Common sense is rare today
I think that is why he went to the dealer.
But that is the exact reason I don't want to go to the dealer for routine maintenance.

56.gif

Just one of a list of reasons why I prefer to do my own work. Have them change the oil to 5W30, or better yet, refund you the money and do it yourself.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Talk to to service manager

+1 on this. I'd tell them that unless he can show you a genuine ford TSB stating that 5w20 is approved in that car, they need to make it right.

+1. Sounds like a load of bull to me.

I would change it to an approved oil and ensure I had documentation of that change.

Exactly who does it and who pays for it is up to you. Personally, I would not accept paying a single cent to put this right. After all, it is their mistake. And seeing my time has been wasted, I would also get a refund on the first charge.

56.gif

One can never assume they're "covered" for lawyer's fees. Which ultimately will probably cost more than the engine itself. Get the right oil in there one way or the other if the vehicle is under warranty. If you use QS, PP, or M1 you can dump the oil for $10-$15, leaving the filter on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back