Dealer Filled BMW 0w20 LL14FE in M4, any concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
BMW's website currently says 0w30 , LL-01FE, which is a lower HTHS (3.0 MPa to 3.5 MPa) than LL-01 (3.5 MPa minimum).

People have said in the past, LL-01 is getting phased out, and going to lower HTHS for better fuel economy and climate change protection

I am in doubt that LL01 is being phased out.
BMW dealers have LL01 readily available.
Also, there are new 5W30 and 5W40 oils that carry LL01.
In 12/2019 Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 formulation is changed to SN+, and pour point was increased from -45 to -36, So there were substantial formulation changes, yet it has LL01.

I'm heading to the dealer (Sonic Automotive) on Friday. I'm going to ask about LL01 5w30.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
It isn't just BMW dealers doing this stupid stuff, I just bought a New-to-me Passat TDi and the dealer sticker said it was changed with 0W20!! I dumped it as soon as i got home!

I have serious doubts that the 0w20 filled was intentional / called for by BMW. I can't find any where that says 0w20 LL14FE is okay for LL01FE / LL01. I understand that the HTHS level is close for LL14 vs LL01 FE (2.7 vs 3.0), I just don't think it should be used in a motor like the S55 originally specified for LL01 (3.5HTHS). Regardless, it was only in the car for 1400 miles so hopefully no damage was done.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
BMW's website currently says 0w30 , LL-01FE, which is a lower HTHS (3.0 MPa to 3.5 MPa) than LL-01 (3.5 MPa minimum).

People have said in the past, LL-01 is getting phased out, and going to lower HTHS for better fuel economy and climate change protection

In 12/2019 Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 formulation is changed to SN+, and pour point was increased from -45 to -36, So there were substantial formulation changes, yet it has LL01.

I'm heading to the dealer (Sonic Automotive) on Friday. I'm going to ask about LL01 5w30.

I bought it at dealer here in January.

BMW is now using either 0W20 or 0W30 in everything gas powered, including M cars.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
BMW is now using either 0W20 or 0W30 in everything gas powered, including M cars.

Except for the M cars that spec 10W-60, right?

Local dealer here uses 5W30 LL01. It is still supplied to dealerships regularly.

I understand that BMW is going to 0w20 / 0w30 for most cars in their lineup but as far as I know, not a single M car has used 0w20. The lightest weight I've seen is 0w30 for S55 / S58 motors. I see you're a BMW tech - do you guys hear / receive anything internal that states 0w20 is fine for the M motors? Specifically S55, S58, S63 - there's no way 0w20 / 0w30 is fine for the S65 / S85 / S62 / S54 motors though.

Last edited:

Local dealer here uses 5W30 LL01. It is still supplied to dealerships regularly.

All Southern CA dealers fill with 0w30 now =(. I have tried to get 5w30 during my 4 years of free oil changes since 2016 and only in the first year was changed w/ 5w30. 0w40 and 5w30 were used in 2014 to early 2016 until 0w40 was discontinued (All were Shell twin power turbo variants). However after the free maintenance plan expired I did buy a few 5w30 to stock up in fears of them canceling it like they did to 0w40. So far doesn't seem like 5w30 is being used at dealerships but for purchase I haven't had an issue finding it online at retailers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JamesGames

All Southern CA dealers fill with 0w30 now =(. I have tried to get 5w30 during my 4 years of free oil changes since 2016 and only in the first year was changed w/ 5w30. 0w40 and 5w30 were used in 2014 to early 2016 until 0w40 was discontinued (All were Shell twin power turbo variants). However after the free maintenance plan expired I did buy a few 5w30 to stock up in fears of them canceling it like they did to 0w40. So far doesn't seem like 5w30 is being used at dealerships but for purchase I haven't had an issue finding it online at retailers.

I got 5W30 here in January and guy who is selling made a point they are still using. He put oil in 0W30 box, and I sad, please I do not want that oil, he said: yeah, do not worry, I just put oil in (I had purchase also differential fluid, transfer case fluid too), we are using 5W30 most of the time.
But it could be dealership thing.

We stopped using 5W30 only last month.

OP, yes, we would be using only 0/30 on the M cars. I will try and find a copy of the new bulletin. I seem to recall that it showed for the newer M cars that 0/30 is the recommended oil, but the 0/20 could also be used. Was surprised to see that.

Last edited:
Your reason for being concerned is that 0w20 is not appropriate for your climate. Have them change it for something defined as appropriate by the SAE.

"Unless you're racing in Death Valley, 0W-20 is just fine for everywhere in the U.S." -VW Service Tech said when I was purchasing my oil change kit (VW508.00).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JamesGames

I got 5W30 here in January and guy who is selling made a point they are still using. He put oil in 0W30 box, and I sad, please I do not want that oil, he said: yeah, do not worry, I just put oil in (I had purchase also differential fluid, transfer case fluid too), we are using 5W30 most of the time.
But it could be dealership thing.

So I had a chat with the parts dept and behold they started carrying LL01 5w30 a couple of months ago.

Originally Posted by wemay
"Unless you're racing in Death Valley, 0W-20 is just fine for everywhere in the U.S." -VW Service Tech said when I was purchasing my oil change kit (VW508.00).

Can you please go abck and ask thats ervice tech to explain why? I would love to hear that.
I visit Death Valley quite often and never seen oil temperatures higher than usual.
Now, climbing Pikes Peak at 30 degree weather will get your temperature up, but that would be Chinese language for service tech as why that happens.

Last edited:

We stopped using 5W30 only last month.

OP, yes, we would be using only 0/30 on the M cars. I will try and find a copy of the new bulletin. I seem to recall that it showed for the newer M cars that 0/30 is the recommended oil, but the 0/20 could also be used. Was surprised to see that.

It could be Canadian thing. You guys have much lower average temperatures. Also does TSB say why? On N63 a lot of issues were related to short trips which did not allowed oil to reach operating temperature. Hence, lower viscosity was recommended.

Can you please go abck and ask thats ervice tech to explain why? I would love to hear that.
I visit Death Valley quite often and never seen oil temperatures higher than usual.
Now, climbing Pikes Peak at 30 degree weather will get your temperature up, but that would be Chinese language for service tech as why that happens.

Well, he did say racing in death valley
cool.gif

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

cool.gif

LOL, true.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

cool.gif

LOL, true.

He did, and I just went about my business. I don't get caught up in to much oil talk outside Bitog unless asked for an opinion. 🚙ðŸšðŸš—🚛🚚ðŸŽ

Hummm . . . . So a VW tech believes that 0W-20 oil is "just fine for everywhere in the U.S." OK, I understand that. And no doubt the way the vast majority of Americans drive, and the circumstances under which they operate their V-Dubs, 0W-20 will be just fine. No question about that. Were it otherwise, we'd certainly know by now.

Still, the engine in a good many V-Dubs -- i.e., the EA888 -- was designed and built by guys who knew that their countrymen (and women), and many others, would be driving their Volkswagens flat out on the autobahns, autostradas and A1s from time to time, and thus the VW AG folks recommended 0W-40 weight oil for years. Hard to sluff that off simply as "old school" thinking. And I haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back