Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Lol. Nobody wants to commit to her.
Moto GP next season.

as an umbrella girl?

You think she can handle that equipment?

well considering she could not handle the best equipment on the track, it is a tough call!

Sounds like all the men in this thread are uncomfortable with a woman who drives faster than them.

Great thread guys. Good thing she's not a minority, who knows what the comments would say then.

Not the case.

She would be treated worse as a male driver than she is currently.

If she were a male driver, she would have been forgotten years ago and nobody would even know her name.

Male or female, nobody has respect for a driver who refuses to "hang it up" when it's clear their talent has waned.

Worse it is when a driver never really had competitive talent in the first place.

Most drivers who find themselves in that position step out before the sport truly loses respect for them. Some continue to go out there for another decade, give or take.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Sounds like all the men in this thread are uncomfortable with a woman who drives faster than them.

There may be some truth to that, but that's far from the whole story. I have no concern over a driver's gender, and have been waiting to have another woman in F1. Where I got irate is when some supposed racing journalists (who obviously know nothing about F1 and FIA licensing) were suggesting that she would get a seat in the Haas F1 team when it was formed. That's disingenuous, ignorant, or would require the rules being revamped just for her, since she has exactly zero points towards applying for a Super License. The F1 pay drivers all were eligible for and received a Super License. She isn't even eligible to apply for a testing license.

It's unfair to criticise Patrick because of her gender. It would be similarly unfair to suggest that FIA licensing rules be modified just to accommodate her lack of talent and insufficient, inappropriate experience. There are many young women and young men coming up through the feeder ranks of FIA series who already have to compete with the future equivalents of Lance Stroll and Pastor Maldonado, fast but backed by huge dollars, and Verstappen, fast but backed by a large racing organization. They don't need to compete with someone totally outside the system.

If Dannica can bring in the money she will have a job . Racins is like any other sport. It is entertainment.

Great thread guys. Good thing she's not a minority, who knows what the comments would say then.

She should go home and cook dinner for her man.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

She doesn't have one of those at the moment either. And when she does they don't seem to hang around long enough for the oven to get hot.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Bill Elliott qualified at over 212 mph in 1986 at Talledega. Attendance has dropped along with the speed yet NASCAR can’t figure it out.

Good observation. The folks running IndyCar recognized how important this is a couple of years ago and set a goal of setting new record qualifying speeds at Indy. The brand new 2018 Dalara chassis will get them to 235 mph laps. Just a little more boost.....

Originally Posted By: Lubener

The consensus from a quick google seems to be that she is worth about $18million, so she probably doesn't have to cook for anybody.

It's too bad María de Villota got hurt in that freak accident. And subsequently died about a year later. I think she might have been one of the few women that might have actually developed into a fairly good driver. Her personality certainly was more enjoyable than that Pit Viper Danica. That's for sure.

Originally Posted By: Garak
For those guys who think Danica is bad, read some of the recent coverage on Carmen Jorda in Europe. Even the women drivers working up the ladder are furious with her.

I've nothing against women drivers. I just dislike people who suck at competing and float on some other topic unrelated to their sport.

One article after another, and the topic is always the same: "She's a WOMAN racing with the GUYS. Whoa woodja look at that!!!!!!"

I give two pumps of a stink badger's mustard dispenser whether or not she's a woman.

The hype is just despicable.

If I were a woman, I'd be livid. Most of her publicity involves a mysterious absence of clothes, and she's pathetic when she's covered up in a racing suit, sitting behind the wheel.

I feel no better about guys who are trash at their job and slide by via going shirtless and Hawking their "chiseled jaw".

For Danica, reality is catching up with her hard. I'd call her the Ronda Rousey of racing, but for that to be true, she'd need a track record of wins behind the failure.

Yes. Jorda made things worse lately in Europe, being given some FIA position of some sort, since driving is clearly not her forte. She had gone onto say that women don't belong in some of these series and should have their own separate women's series. Of course, that made her a lot of friends among women in the sport.
wink.gif

Women are working hard, focusing on what they're doing to succeed in the business, and she comes out with an idea that would make Bernie blush.

Yes. Jorda made things worse lately in Europe, being given some FIA position of some sort, since driving is clearly not her forte. She had gone on to say that women don't belong in some of these series and should have their own separate women's series.

Actually, she's 100% correct. And I admire her honesty. No doubt about it. Women will NEVER evenly compete with men in circuit or circle track auto racing, anymore than they could in tennis or golf. John McEnroe brought this to light in the late 70's, and through the 80's with women's tennis. And he got a ton of flack for it then, just as Jorda is getting it now. Back then the top women professional tennis players like Martina Navratilova were all griping and whining how women players should get the same money as the men do.

McEnroe said, "If they want the same money, let them play the same draw". Of course that never happened because the top ranked men would wipe up the court with them. They would never be able to return their serve. When Billie Jean King was in her prime, she barely beat Bobby Riggs. A broken down old man with heart trouble nearly twice her age. If she had faced McEnroe or Connors instead, they would have pounded the ball down her throat all night long. In fact McEnroe offered to put $1 Million cash into a suit case, and have any woman tennis player do the same. He said he would be willing to take on any woman player on any tennis court, anywhere in the world. Winner takes the others suitcase. He had no takers.

Same deal with golf. If women could play equally with men there would be no such thing as, "Ladies Tee's", or the LPGA. But they can't and there is. Auto racing should be no different. If Danica raced against other women in the sport, she very well might have been a champion. Much like Nancy Lopez was in the LPGA. But against men she was a total disaster. You can argue that it doesn't take strength to drive a race car. And to some degree that is correct. But it takes unbelievable stamina and physical conditioning women can't develop. Sitting in a hot race car being exposed to high G forces for hours on end, and still maintain complete mental sharpness and clarity is something many male drivers have issues with. For women it becomes impossible to do on an equal competitive level. Danica, along with several other women drivers have proven this over the years. And in several racing venues.

And as far as equipment, money, and race teams with all but limitless financial and mechanical resources, Danica has had it in both Indy Car, with Rahal / Letterman, and Andretti / Green. And much the same in NASCAR with Stewart / Haas. It didn't help her one bit. The fact is she proved the only way she could win, is if everyone in front of her ran out of gas.... Which only happened once. If women had their own series, it would at least be more competitive. Let's be honest, how many drivers, and or fans like watching these women fall down lap after lap? It quickly becomes a bad joke. With race teams and announcers scurrying about trying to come up with the best excuses as to why. Or else find someone else to blame, so they don't wind up sounding "sexist" by telling the truth. The real reason IS that obvious. It's good that Danica finally came along, and proved without any speculation that with good equipment, it doesn't matter. Women will never race on par with men. Except for perhaps in drag racing where they only have to hold it together and hang on for 3 or 4 seconds.

I'm not sure whether tennis (or most of the "regular" sports) would be the same as auto racing. There have been few female success stories. This is how I see it, from a rather simple point of view, without getting political or stereotypical or hammering on anyone. Motorsports are in trouble enough as it is. A female league of motorsports would have enough trouble attracting money, let alone venues. So, one either has to compete in the same league, regardless of gender, or one doesn't - as simple as that.

We don't need to bring women in "just because" they're women, which causes issue surrounding Patrick in the first place. But, a separate series isn't going to be financially viable when it's hard enough to keep the most basic feeder series running.

Motorsports are in trouble enough as it is. A female league of motorsports would have enough trouble attracting money, let alone venues. So, one either has to compete in the same league, regardless of gender, or one doesn't - as simple as that.

I agree. And they will never be competitive in the same motor racing venue as men. If men are having trouble coming to watch men race at the top of their game, they sure aren't going to come out to watch a bunch of women. And there aren't enough women interested in auto racing like they are golf and tennis. It just isn't going to happen. Danica was a novelty that wore off quickly. And they tried to keep selling her beyond her expiration date.

Yes, and that's why I say let them compete on an equal footing, whether they can or cannot. For whatever reason, Lotus/Renault had Jorda as a reserve driver or something, which was silly, since she'd never get a super license. That ended rather quickly. I think it was the Renault people that were ending that, with the Lotus people starting it, seeing dollar signs, where Renault wanted performance.

Yes, and that's why I say let them compete on an equal footing, whether they can or cannot.

If they do, it will last until one of them gets seriously hurt, or else does something stupid and winds up hurting someone else. It's dangerous enough out there for guys like Vettel and Raikkonen, without having to dodge a bunch of untalented women in the process. Look at the wrecks Danica and Cobb cause, on an all but weekly basis. Now put that kind of "talent" on a difficult road circuit in a F1 car, and it's going to be disaster waiting to happen. This circus has gone on long enough as it is.

I'm a little bit on the other side of the table.

If worthless male drivers can compete, worthless female drivers should be able to compete on the same track.

Male or female, if you're worthless, be a decent loser and don't promote as if you are anything more than a bad racer.

To me, it's just bad sportsmanship, and not reality. This is a competition. Who gives a flying titmouse that you put on a suit and get into a car. Accomplishments! Wins? Stats? Anything? No? Get back into your cave.

That's male or female.

I think women drivers could match the male's toe for toe. The big problem is that we don't have enough girls aspiring to be drivers, and not enough parents who will let those who do go forward with their dreams.

Sports will always remember those who threw down nothing but the competition. Those who got by on gimmicks and such will go down in history as losers.

It's the difference between a hobbyist and a competitor.

For Danica, driving has been a hobby that she used to draw attention and dollars to other irrelevant hobbies that she uses to make even more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back