Dang it!! Help! Rounded Off A Bolt Head On Water Pump Pulley!!

Is this used with a ratchet? there's no clearance to use a rachet with a socket on the pulley that I'm having the issue with. that's why all i had was a cheap/decent wrench from Amazon.
If the cheap wrench set was, in fact, decent, it would not have rounded off the bolt.
When you get this squared away, time to get a better set.

Stahlwille, Williams, Hazet, Wright, are all available at relatively reasonable prices, and they don’t round off the heads.

Think about the money you “saved” by getting cheap wrenches.

Would you now pay that difference to avoid this rounded bolt and the extra work, not to mention extra time, and potentially, extra tools, that this job is taking?

If I don't have a pair of vice grips on hand would a pair of needle nose pliers work? , even if it meant completely ruining the bolt and just replacing it after? or would a better recommendation or cheaper recommendation alternative just to get a pair of vice grips?

A pipe wrench can work if you have clearance. But not a needle nose.

If the cheap wrench set was, in fact, decent, it would not have rounded off the bolt.
When you get this squared away, time to get a better set.

Stahlwille, Williams, Hazet, Wright, are all available at relatively reasonable prices, and they don’t round off the heads.

Think about the money you “saved” by getting cheap wrenches.

Would you now pay that difference to avoid this rounded bolt and the extra work, not to mention extra time, and potentially, extra tools, that this job is taking?
Having done this job before.....I don't think this was a tooling issue. More of a technique issue.

Is this sarcasm or literally? Lol. Welding required ,? for a little stinking bolt that got the head rounded out a bit? A little extra mechaniism there.
Actually it's probably one of the fastest ways to get a bolt out. Place a nut that fits over the head, weld the center with a mug welder. The heat loosens the corrosion bond, and you have nice new sides for a wrench to grip. You can do this in 5 minutes or less.

This is where my Metrench set works.. It grabs the wall of the bolt not the edges...It has removed many a stripped bolt for me over the years..
My Metrinch socket set is my most used tools ever. I bought these back in the 90's after watching an infomercial on TV about them. I have the 62 piece set and a 76 piece set.

Reactions: hrv
Actually it's probably one of the fastest ways to get a bolt out. Place a nut that fits over the head, weld the center with a mug welder. The heat loosens the corrosion bond, and you have nice new sides for a wrench to grip. You can do this in 5 minutes or less.

Done it, works great.

I'm still shocked by the other guy not getting the joke, to see this as an opportunity to buy a welder.
My humor button was pushed by that, so I commented on it, and someone else totally missed all of the humor.

My Metrinch socket set is my most used tools ever. I bought these back in the 90's after watching an infomercial on TV about them. I have the 62 piece set and a 76 piece set.
I had those sets and 5 sets of Craftsman back in the day,I sold all and downsized to Proto and Williams USA.The Metrinch were very good.I kick myself for selling,they were very versatile,a real problem solver.They would of walked that bolt out no problem

I had those sets and 5 sets of Craftsman back in the day,I sold all and downsized to Proto and Williams USA.The Metrinch were very good.I kick myself for selling,they were very versatile,a real problem solver.They would of walked that bolt out no problem
I have only cracked one socket in all of those years and my ratchet is still the original one. Metrinch warrantied the socket with no issues. The forward/reverse lever partially broke off but still works. These would be the last sets that I ever sold and I have a bunch of other socket sets including Craftsman.

Same with me saw it on TV...Best set of tools I have ever purchased....and they are still for sale online too....

best advice and solution possible is go to Napa and buy the gear wrench bolt extractor sockets… don’t cause more damage. Put the correct size socket on there and it should come out, you may have to hammer it on which is a good thing

Back