Dang it!! Help! Rounded Off A Bolt Head On Water Pump Pulley!!

If it gets bad enough you can sacrifice that pulley-- they are avaialable separately. Get the other two bolts out then metal-fatigue it by bending it back and forth until it snaps. Then you have easier access to the actual water pump mounting fasteners.

And if you have to rig it to drive to work tomorrow, bang what's left of your pulley back into shape then use a new bolt and giant washer to cover the hole you made. Just make sure it spins straight so it won't throw your belt.

If it gets bad enough you can sacrifice that pulley-- they are avaialable separately. Get the other two bolts out then metal-fatigue it by bending it back and forth until it snaps. Then you have easier access to the actual water pump mounting fasteners.
That's sure one way to do It lol. What would you say is my cheapest option to tackling this?

Look at mr moneybags with his strap wrench, why not use the serpentine belt?

OP, this job goes better if you leave the belt ON when you break torque... just do it in quick little bursts letting the inertia of the pulley hold it steady. If you use a socket wrench and have the handle over the MIDDLE of the pulley, turning it CCW will have less of a twisting effect on the pulley and put more power to the bolt head.

If you're not going to succeed with a socket, a vise grip won't do it. But if you modify my previous advice, and wiggle the pulley on the one remaining bolt, until it's just a little bit loose, you may succeed. You'll either be stretching the bolt or compressing the pulley, but either way you'll be taking the load off the fastener and it should come out with the original socket or a vise grip.

And if you have to rig it to drive to work tomorrow, bang what's left of your pulley back into shape then use a new bolt and giant washer to cover the hole you made. Just make sure it spins straight so it won't throw your belt.
I'll give this a shot tomorrow without actually trying to snap it. See if I can get it any what loose or anything after re.obe the two other ones. Thanks for your advice.

Dang it. Don't have a sawzall. Trying with a pair of vice my best bet?

First, back out 2 of the loosened bolts halfway and use a long screwdriver across them to hold the pulley from rotating. Lock the Vise-Grip pliers onto the head of the stuck bolt, making sure the "teeth" on the jaws bite deeply into the rounded bolt head. Hold the screwdriver tightly and/or brace the handle against a solid bracket to stabilize the pulley. Carefully remove the stuck bolt with the Vise-Grips.

First, back out 2 of the loosened bolts halfway and use a long screwdriver across them to hold the pulley from rotating. Lock the Vise-Grip pliers onto the head of the stuck bolt, making sure the "teeth" on the jaws bite deeply into the rounded bolt head. Hold the screwdriver tightly and/or brace the handle against a solid bracket to stabilize the pulley. Carefully remove the stuck bolt with the Vise-Grips.
a pair of long nose locking pliers? or any standard locking vice grips will work?

a pair of long nose locking pliers? or any standard locking vice grips will work?
I suggest using the standard Vise-Grips if they will fit. The long nose locking pliers will not bite the head as tightly as the wider jaws of standard Vise-Grip pliers. Rotate the pulley so the damaged bolt is as accessible as possible (i.e., near the top).

I suggest using the standard Vise-Grips if they will fit. The long nose locking pliers will not bite the head as tightly as the wider jaws of standard Vise-Grip pliers. Rotate the pulley so the damaged bolt is as accessible as possible (i.e., near the top).
Ok I'll give that a shot tomorrow thank you.

+1. A rocket socket is the tool to take care of this…
I don't have enough clearance to use a rachet or socket on this pulley or I would of just used a socket to remove or say loosen the nub without stripping the head. Im going to give it a shot with some vice grips tomorrow.

Back