Damaged JD filter again (Champ) and another open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is the third JD filter (Champ) that i've opened and its damaged. PN M806419 . It now has me concerned about my machine longevity since I have three machines that use the same filter. All Yanmar engines. I've now switched to Donaldson filters and am replacing the filters that are still in service.
P1030556.jpg

P1030557.jpg

P1030558.jpg

This is from the last one i cut open:

IMG_0055.jpg

On another note, This is another JD filter used on Kohler engines, unsure of the manufacturer.
P1030566.jpg

P1030570.jpg

P1030571.jpg

P1030573.jpg

Last edited:
First couple photos looks like cut media. How are you cutting the filters open? Any chance the media was nicked when you cut the can?

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
First couple photos looks like cut media. How are you cutting the filters open? Any chance the media was nicked when you cut the can?

Nope, i'm careful that the blades dont contact the media. If you notice on the top filter and the previous filter 4th down i think, they are both tore where the pleats widen. Also the tear is below the endcap where the filter cutter cant touch.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Doesn't look like a pressure burst; must have nicked it with a blade when you cut it open

blade is adjusted so it cuts close to the end and doesnt contact the filter element.

I have a JD oil filter M806418 in the garage ready to be cut open, that was installed this time last year on a Yanmar powered JD F935, and removed last week.

(I replaced it with a NAPA Gold, and not another JD 806418...)

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I have a JD oil filter M806418 in the garage ready to be cut open, that was installed this time last year on a Yanmar powered JD F935, and removed last week.

(I replaced it with a NAPA Gold, and not another JD 806418...)

Please post your opened filter in this post, i'm curious of the results. the last 3 or 4 i've done have been damaged after use.

Originally Posted By: nate
Please post your opened filter in this post, i'm curious of the results. the last 3 or 4 i've done have been damaged after use.

I just got it cut open. Digital camera is charging up to take some pictures.

Interesting that the JD uses a silicon ADBV. That's usually reserved for the M1/RP/K&N Champ's. While I'm sure anyone can spec one for a brand/label, I'm not aware of any other Champ filters that come with one other than the premium badges.

..bad-gez? ..bad-gez? We do'need no stinkeen bad-gez..

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Not quiet, the P1 didn't completely tear open only slightly abraded at the connection.

There was never any more analysis done after suggestions of trying to determine if the media was really tore clean away or what was really going on there. For all we know, the media could have been nicked when the can was cut open.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...997#Post1841997

Yeah that's why I went and looked over the cut open P1s I had and saw similar abrasion of the pleats near the crimp but the pleats were still intact with the end cap.

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Same exact kind of media separation I had on my Purolator PureOne PL14610.

Not quiet, the P1 didn't completely tear open only slightly abraded at the connection.

Soobs is the only one that saw the filter itself. I will take his word it was separated. Quit trying to deny a real problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: labman

Soobs is the only one that saw the filter itself. I will take his word it was separated. Quit trying to deny a real problem.

Thats not a real problem lab, a escrap blowing media into you engine IS a real problem.

Originally Posted By: labman

We all saw the pics, just everyone has their own interpretation. And like I said I posted pics and examined the same area of a similar P1 ran the same mileage and concluded it did not completely tear. But that didn't stop you from proclaiming it did tear open. Now you are saying only Soobs can say if it completely tore or not
smirk2.gif

Yes, I am saying the guy that saw filter is a much better judge of its condition that those arguing over what a picture shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back