Dale Jr. To Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
And there goes Nascar...

It was long gone when you couldnt but the cars they drive, imaginary two door versions of four door cars were used, and headlights became stickers...

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I thought he had already retired?

He sat out the better part of the last half of last season with a concussion. He also got married.

Injury + Time Off + Getting Married + $400 Million = RETIREMENT!

Seems like he is a really good guy having to live in the impossible shadow of his Dad. Basically the modern day Kyle Petty, only slightly more successful than Kyle. He was more style than substance and never truly delivered on his supposed greatness. His greatest accomplishment is in the amount of merchandise he has managed to sell.

Good on 'im. He might not be one of the "all time great drivers," but like Kyle Petty and Ward Burton before him, he seems like a genuinely good guy who has interests outside the race car. I'd take that over nothing but a driver any day...

Two time Daytona winner, and that will sustain a career in Nascar whether you win again or not. Look at Derrike Cope with his one Daytona win. He is still racing.

Without being salty... was he supposed to be a clone of dale sr and die racing too?

His career certainly didnt match his popularity.. but he wasnt terrible either.

Hes rich, married, and moving on while he still has his health.. seems reasonable.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
And there goes Nascar...

Lost interest in NASCAR years ago. Saw a few laps of one on TV a few weeks ago and there were a lot of empty seats in the stands. Went to a race in the 80's at Michigan Int. Speedway and it was jammed packed with fans. Times change.

NASCAR = Pre-Engineered kit car racing. The teams race at the pleasure of management. They should have managed restricter plates better. Give the teams the restricter plates and let the run any engine they want under the plate and build the cars in what ever configuration they think would win. Add the safety equipment, require a minimum weight and crash testing like F1. Other than that, stay out of the way of good racing. With a setup like this you would see a lot of excitement on the track.

Wonder if he could talk Danica into leaving with him.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Wonder if he could talk Danica into leaving with him.

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Dale was a lot better than Kyle Petty. Kyle won 8 races I believe. Dale has win 26. Dale won 2 Daytona 500s to Kyle's 0. Look up all time NASCAR race wins and the list gets fairly short after more than 10 wins. Do I think Dale Earnhardt Jr is a hall of fame driver?? No. Very close but not quite there. I think him and Ricky Rudd are in the same boat so to speak. Rudd won 21 races in his career. Finished in the top 5 in points a couple of times. I think that he is very close as well as Dale in terms of being a hall of fame driver. Just not quite there.

If not for Dale Sr's money grubbing wife then DEI would have continued on and things could have potentially been different. DEI went out a long time ago due to her stupidity. I think had Dale Jr run the show there I think he would have been better served as a driver there. That being said, Steve Letarte deserves a WHOLE LOT of credit for helping Dale Jr getting back as a competitive driver again. I could tell in 09-10 that Dale was not into racing. He was just there because he had to be. In 2011 as that season wore on I could see Dale Jr starting to enjoy being at the track again. That was due to Steve Letarte helping him out a lot. In 2012 Dale seemed to really enjoy being at the track, was more engaged in what he was doing again, and certainly was competitive again as well. Even in a winless 2013 Dale stayed positive and was obviously enjoying what he was doing there at the track. When he won the 2014 Daytona 500, you could see the tremendous happiness and joy he felt. That was due to Steve Letarte's helping Dale Earnhardt Jr out so much. I give great credit to Rick Hendrick for bringing those two together because it helped Dale Earnhardt Jr personally, professionally as a driver and it made his last year's FAR more enjoyable as well.

The odds of a hall of fame professional athlete's son or daughter being as good as them are like winning the lottery. Magic Johnson's son isn't a hall of fame basketball player. Neither is Michael Jordan's son. It just isn't really likely that the offspring of a tremendously talented baseball, basketball, football, soccer, golf, tennis, NASCAR driver will ever be as good or better than their hall of fame parents. I will say that Kyle Petty was a good driver for sure. If you look at how many drivers all time have driven in the NASCAR cup series and then look at how few actually won more than 5 races then what Kyle Petty did was fairly good. He really did not do all that bad in the light of how many drivers in total NASCAR history. But compared to his father's 200 wind 8 looks to be quite small. Which it is. But again, compared to how many drivers all time that have driven in NASCAR history it is then that Kyle's 8 wins put him quite a bit higher on the list. I think Dale Earnhardt Jr's 26 wins put him a fair amount higher than Kyle. Look at how few drivers have won 20 or more races all time and that is a rather small group of drivers. Again, is he deserving of the hall of fame? I don't think so. Very close. But in comparison to his dad's 7 championships and all of his 76 wins, Dale Jr's accomplishments look rather small. When in light of the amount of drivers that have driven in NASCAR history Dale Jr's accomplishments are actually pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
If not for Dale Sr's money grubbing wife then DEI would have continued on and things could have potentially been different. DEI went out a long time ago due to her stupidity. I think had Dale Jr run the show there I think he would have been better served as a driver there.

That was a good write up. Thanks for sharing. Could you elaborate a bit more on the above?

That lady did not want to give Dale Earnhardt Jr 51% ownership of DEI in 2006-2007. She wanted control and the money. I easily understood why Dale wasn't ready for that in 2001-2005. He just was not ready for that responsibility at that time. Remember though he had started Jr Motorsports which was doing rather well. But in 2006 Dale Jr was ready to handle the responsibility of majority ownership of DEI. She didn't want to lose her control over the everyday running of it and she didn't want to lose out on her money either. That is why Dale Earnhardt Jr left DEI. I firmly believe it was Dale Earnhardt senior's long term goal to have Dale Earnhardt Jr run DEI. But fate had a different plan for everyone involved. Dale Earnhardt Incorporated eventually fell on hard times and joined up with Felix Sabates for awhile before eventually going totally belly up. That sorry woman didn't have the ability in herself to really do what needed to be done in order to keep DEI competitive or good enough to stay viable. I will say that she did help Dale Earnhardt senior in terms of how to market himself better and merchandise his products better. She was a tremendous asset to Dale senior in that way. But she just did not possess the foresight to realize that DEI really needed Dale Earnhardt Jr in order to continue on being what it should have been. That was really sad to see.

Many fans love Dale Jr but this sport died when #3 hit the wall.

If NASCAR is on TV, I'll watch for 5 minutes and change the channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back