NASCAR chooses Monster energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tiger Woods has begun playing golf again and he's doing it with the Monster M (energy drink) sponsoring him.

HISTORICAL FOOTNOTE: Years ago when Red Bull was introduced pretty girls were hired to hand out samples in Midtown Manhattan.
I chatted briefly with a pair of them was they walked by. They were sporting cylindrical, insulated backpacks (shaped like a Red Bull can) and told me what they were doing.

One gal said, "Take 2 or 3. Nobody is taking them. They taste terrible." I found Red Bull repulsively ahuman in taste.

Originally Posted By: mrichards
I heard they may be dropping the "cup" and calling it the "Premier" series, so the Monster Premier series?

It was the Grand National series before RJ Reynolds sponsored it. Originally it was the NASCAR Strictly Stock Series.

The demographics drinking Monster energy drinks is younger people under 30 years old.

Maybe they are trying to attract younger fans since many of the older fans like me won't go to a race or watch it on TV ?

I can hear the in-car (and other) commentary now:

Bob, it looks like they're yelling at each other from car to car, let's see if we can listen in.....

Hey! You ugly! U G L Y you ain't got no alibi, YOU UGLY! What are those posts stickin outta your neck? You runnin some kind of hybrid you block headed nitwit...... yeah, you'd need a lightning bolt up your butt to make that thing go! Yo momma dress you in those stitches handsome?

Whoa Bob, we better take it back to the studio. It's getting very monstrous out there today.

Can't wait to see who the blood suckers are going to be. Running night races...

Probably right Mr. Nice. Hey, go back and watch races from the 80s and 90s. Know what you see then that you don't anymore??? People camping on the in field of many of the tracks. People using regular tents, small shell campers, small pull behind campers. In other words.... real, regular, everyday people were allowed to camp out in the in field of say Charlotte, Atlanta etc. This has a LOT to do with NASCAR's problems. Forcing people to pay $200 plus a night hotel rates which normally go for $100. Stupid.

Last edited:
I'm 100% right.

On cable TV they show old rerun races from the 1980's back when it was good ole boys racing, fist fights in the pits with rival teams, # 3 was like Elvis, crazy fans and drivers having a good time.... those days are long gone.

All the silly rules, corporate running everything and watching NASCAR today its just boring. Kind of like a music band greatly influenced by major record labels and the musicians can't produce the music they want.

Originally Posted By: Kira
One gal said, "Take 2 or 3. Nobody is taking them. They taste terrible."

I tried Red Bull once, and I found the taste unspeakably gross.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I found Red Bull repulsively ahuman in taste.

"Ahuman"? I hope you weren't expecting a cannibal-friendly taste...

Well I agree with you. But I do think that not allowing camping on the in field at many of tracks is not been good at all. It ties in with what you are saying... trading luxury boxes, "VIP access only deals, and silver spoons for lunch boxes, campers, tents and regular people.

I agree.

It was everyday people (mostly blue collar) going to the races, camping with family in the field, flying the American flag (can't do that cause it might offend), BBQ and drinking beer. All that has changed and fans simply lost interest. Lots of empty seats when I do waste 15 minutes watching it on TV.

NASCAR is too scripted and boring. Like professional wrestling from the 1980's... its night and day from what you see today.

Monster energy sponsors: X Games, motorcross, off-road truck racing... So its obvious they are hoping to attract younger viewers. The target audience they are after is not watching NASCAR, they are into Japanese drifting contests, import / turbo / drag racing, hyped up street cars that you can build, not some $400,000 Chevy Ford or Toyota that goes around in ovals for 2 hours.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Probably right Mr. Nice. Hey, go back and watch races from the 80s and 90s. Know what you see then that you don't anymore??? People camping on the in field of many of the tracks. People using regular tents, small shell campers, small pull behind campers. In other words.... real, regular, everyday people were allowed to camp out in the in field of say Charlotte, Atlanta etc. This has a LOT to do with NASCAR's problems. Forcing people to pay $200 plus a night hotel rates which normally go for $100. Stupid.

Yep, I have a friend who stopped watching races when they started shutting down camping. Made for a great affordable trip....

They lost me when the cars drifted too far away in appearance from whats sold in showrooms today. The only difference in make was the decal.

Nascar is the racing equivalent of the WWF.

I miss the nascar races of the 70-80's and early 90's.

Last edited:
Yeah dave87rs I think the morons really messed by stopping that. "Forgot who brought you there" so to speak. Regular everyday people helped fill those stands, buy those jackets, hats and shirts, bought those sodas and sandwiches. Regular people liked Rockingham, Wilkes Borro, The Southern 500 bring on Labor Day weekend.

NASCAR has lost track of it's roots, along with the people who made it what it is. If they stay on this Kamikaze course, they will have nowhere to go but down. Just look at the stands if you need proof. Having rock concerts 2 hours before the race isn't going to change that. White, working middle class people made them who and what they are. Now it seems as though they're turning their backs on them. You could say the same thing about the Democratic Party, and look what happened to them a few weeks ago. I'm guessing NASCAR is headed down that same road. The only difference is they're doing it at 200 MPH.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I tried Red Bull once, and I found the taste unspeakably gross.

If you talk to ANY practicing physician they will all tell you "energy drinks" are about the worst stuff you can pour into your system. Drink a cup of strong, over sweetened coffee and you'll accomplish the same thing a lot cheaper.... And it won't taste like paint thinner. Then again, I guess that's why people line up 15 cars deep at the drive thru at Starbucks. So they can all pay $5.00+ for a cup of coffee with a shot of whipped cream on top. They get everything but the "cheaper" part. Remember when common sense used to be common?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Just as I suspected, Moster Energy is targeting younger folks and NASCAR will not allow any new energy drink sponsorship if they are not already a sponsor (spending big $$$) in NASCAR.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascars-top-series-now-sponsored-by-the-official-drink-1789583586

No different from when Nextel/Sprint took over the entitlement sponsorship. Any existing cell phone sponsorship contracts could not be renewed. What is interesting is Monster Energy allows other energy drink sponsorship in SuperCross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back