New NASCAR Qualifying formats for 2022

NASCAR is bringing back practice and qualifying to all of its races in 2022.

Four different knockout-style qualifying formats will be used at the four track types the three NASCAR Cup Series visits.

Most oval tracks will hold single lap qualifying with the field split into two groups and the top five from each advancing to a final round that will set the pole.
Two laps will be run at the short Martinsville, Bristol, Richmond and Dover tracks.

A single first round will be used at Daytona and Talladega superspeedways with the top 10 advancing to the pole round.

Road courses will feature two 15-minute sessions with half the field on the track simultaneously and the top five advancing to a 10-minute pole-qualifying session.

The Bristol Dirt race in April will use a unique format with the results of four heat races of 10, 10, 10, and nine cars setting the field for Sunday's main event.

More info:
NASCAR announces practice, qualifying return in 2022 with knockout-style format

Last edited:
I like it, but it is overcomplicated. I think what V8 Supercars does with a 20-30 min group qualifying period followed by a top 10 shootout where they each get 1 flying lap would be ideal and makes for great television.

I5 Laps in the opposite direction with out a change in the car setup or engineering would be fun.

Back