Daily Driver, Mazda 6 Brake Recommendations

after routine inspection yesterday, I’m realizing I’m wearing though my brakes a little quicker than I thought. At 45k on my 2017.5 Mazda 6 and will need brakes in the nearish future, I have about 5-6/32” remaining.

ive worked in a dealership for quite awhile, where of course we used oem and oe value line stuff with no problems. On used cars or other manufacturers we used car quest and it was junk, at least then, about 7 years ago.

I used Napa ultra premium exclusively when I went to an independent shop...they swore by them, and I didn’t have any problems after experiencing them. But never used on my own applications that I was really “in touch” with if you will.

I have used centric once on a personal application and couldn’t get them to stop squealing. It was in the pad lining itself. Slides were clean and lubed, and cleaning and lubing again did nothing. Spraying and soaking the pad linings with an anti squeal spray was the only thing to help (temporary). So that turns me off to centric, but maybe that was just one bad experience.

after joining this forum I began using akebono, as they seemed well liked and Napa premiums are actually just these reboxed in most cases. On my accord and my sienna, I noticed worse braking performance. Nice, quiet, and low dust...but seeming worse braking performance / less bite and grab.

Any recommendations for pads and rotors that bite as well or better than factory brakes that offer less dust, and quiet performance?

painted or coated rotors are a definite must, I hate the look of rusty rotors or brake parts though a wheel.

I don’t have a lot of current real world experience having switched to a government shop 7-8 years ago. Appreciate insight of you guys, especially those in the field who really know how stuff is quality and performance wise.

Do you need new rotors at only 45k miles? I usually find the rotors outlast the pads and need replacing less often.

Dealer (OE, not value line) has been the most consistent. Aftermarket, especially with the recent formula changes to no/super-low copper, have been a hit or miss.

Do you need new rotors at only 45k miles? I usually find the rotors outlast the pads and need replacing less often.
Not necessarily, but I can’t resurface them at home and I don’t have an extra car to remove them and bring them to work with me and resurface them here. I have a pulsation that I need to resurface or replace them to fix when I do my brakes.

Dealer (OE, not value line) has been the most consistent. Aftermarket, especially with the recent formula changes to no/super-low copper, have been a hit or miss.
Do you do many Mazda brake jobs? My only complaint with my oem pads was the wear seemed a little quick for my driving habits (my accord needed calipers more than I needed to replace my pads), and they seemed prone to squeal completely randomly, sounded just like a wear indicator contacting but wasn’t ever the case.

This is usually true for rears - they can often be pad-slapped once.
Fronts almost always need machining or replacement due to pulsation.

Do you do many Mazda brake jobs? My only complaint with my oem pads was the wear seemed a little quick for my driving habits (my accord needed calipers more than I needed to replace my pads), and they seemed prone to squeal completely randomly, sounded just like a wear indicator contacting but wasn’t ever the case.
I wouldn't say many, but I do get them a few times a year. OE has worked for me, but are unusually pricey.

This is usually true for rears - they can often be pad-slapped once.
Fronts almost always need machining or replacement due to pulsation.
You just made me feel lucky :) I've never worn out brake rotors in the first 100k miles. Even the fronts are good for a couple of pad slaps. Maybe newer cars are using thinner rotors. Or perhaps a manual stick shift reduces brake wear; more throttle-off drag = less braking.

doesn't matter how thick the rotors are to start with, they are all allowed the same wear. If wear is concentrated on one side, chances become higher that you will lose a pad.

that model of Mazda6 are very hard on brakes and tend to wear brake pads very fast, especially models with 19" wheels

If you price out Raybestos Elements 3 at Rock Auto I bet it is less than $150 for 4 rotors and pads. they are true, quiet and do not corrode even after 3 years. These are good brakes without the staggering high price tag some carry and perfect for a DD.
I have lots of cars running around on these and the people are very satisfied in every way including myself.

Does anyone have experience with R1 concepts? A lot of Mazda nerds swear by them, but I’ve never heard of them. They have a legit looking site and have blank rotors and “daily driver” ceramic pads (I’m against drilled and or slotted rotors).

If you price out Raybestos Elements 3 at Rock Auto I bet it is less than $150 for 4 rotors and pads. they are true, quiet and do not corrode even after 3 years. These are good brakes without the staggering high price tag some carry and perfect for a DD.
I have lots of cars running around on these and the people are very satisfied in every way including myself.
Thanks! The price makes me wonder if their coating would actually hold up.

It does. These are on their third NE winter, It needs a wash badly but the rotors or the calipers and pads have almost zero corrosion. I think we probably have more salt and snow than MD.

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

It does. These are on their third NE winter, It needs a wash badly but the rotors or the calipers and pads have almost zero corrosion. I think we probably have more salt and snow than MD.

View attachment 47087

View attachment 47088
My oem stuff looked about like that after the first partial winter I owned it (February 2018 to whenever that winter was over here in MD). We tend to way over do the brine pretreatment at the threat of snow, as well as the salting during and after the snow. Drivers around here are the worst. I know you guys get an actual winter up there, but who knows who gets the worst of the road salt!

Back