Dad got an ASUS Eee 900

Status
Not open for further replies.
Celeron processor
1GB RAM
160GB mechanical hard drive
8.9" screen

Overall the screen is bigger than what I expected (was used to 7" LCD for Netbook), but thicker than I would have thought. I helped him installed printer driver, firefox, Office, and antivirus, but I made a mistake of uninstalling MS Works and he his ADD/OCD self start kicking in and I have no choice but to restore the hard drive image.

If you have a USB to IDE/SATA adapter, you can use your USB to boot from the DVD, and keep your DVD drive at home. Speed is pretty slow for what I'm used to (a 1.4GHz Athlon XP and a Pentium M 1.2Ghz laptop), but for $229, you can't complain much.

I was disappointed that he didn't get something with an atom processor, but he insist on getting a big hard drive (he likes to have everything, but don't care about speed), so oh well.

We have a few Lenovo S10 and Acer Aspire One 10" in the lab, and I'd say ASUS and Lenovo have better build quality than the Acer. Lenovo has the best form factor.

I bought an EEEPC 900 series a few months for automotive use (tuning and diagnostics). Only drawback is the almost useless keyboard. It's much too small. The 10" version is usable.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I bought an EEEPC 900 series a few months for automotive use (tuning and diagnostics). Only drawback is the almost useless keyboard. It's much too small. The 10" version is usable.

For someone that can type, it is useless. If you don't type however, this is no problem.

My mom just bought a Dell Inspiron 1011 10" Mini with 1gb ram, Intel Atom N270, and 160gb HDD in Pink!
smirk2.gif

I can't wait to see it...
thumbsup2.gif

(BTW: I had nothing to do with it, she ordered it online while I was at work...)

I have a 900A (Atom) EeePC with Xandros. Fine for surfing, but the keyboard is too small with an odd placed shift key. Typing is difficult. I will be using it for guests since I do not travel or when the cat decides that the my Toshiba laptop makes a good bed. It takes a few minutes to start from scratch with a clean image in case someone messes it up. It is plenty fast, but updated the hard drive with one with better read and write speeds.

All she uses it for is surfing the web, e-mail and visiting oprah.com
smirk2.gif
She types with two fingers so I don't think the keyboard will be much of a problem.
LOL.gif

She can also see the screen just fine, after having laser-eye surgery a few years ago so she no longer needs a prescription.

Oh yeah
smirk2.gif

Everything she owns is "accessorized"
LOL.gif
Don't even get me started on the hand-bags she got from Canal St. in NY when she was there...
crackmeup2.gif

I have been tempted to buy one for the car because I have an internet stick for my job and it would be great to have one mounted in the car near my center console so when I'm having lunch I could surf websites without having to pull out my Dell-clunker that is provided from work. I have A/C plugs in my truck so power wouldn't be a problem.
20.gif

I have a GPS, Satelite Radio, A Cooler in the trunk with cold refreshments for the hot days and a printer in the trunk powered by 12V that I have hooked up to a blue-tooth reciever so I can print stuff for my owners without having to connect a cable. It truly is my office on wheels.

I would get the SSD If I was to get one because of vibration/shock.

13.gif

Here I am typing this on my 900 series. The keys are small, but if you spend the time to get used to the keyboard it's not any more difficult than any other. And I have perfectly large hands, so it's not that. I'd say 90% of my posts have come from this 'useless' keyboard. My wife loves it too. It doesn't slow down her typing at all. It's like anything, it takes practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back