USB boot trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having some trouble getting an Asus G72GX laptop to boot from a USB flash drive. I've burned a Linux Mint ISO image to a USB drive using Rufus, and while an Acer netbook boots from it, the Asus seems pretty determined not to boot from USB. I know it's capable of booting from USB, because I installed Windows 10 (which comes on a USB stick) when the hard drive went south a while back. The USB port is good because the drive shows up when it boots into Windows. I tried updating the BIOS since it was a few versions behind, but no joy. I've even tried other USB drives. It seems I have to burn the ISO onto a DVD to get it to boot. Is there some trick I might be missing in the Rufus settings to get it to to boot?

Know nothing about Win 10, Asus or Rufus since I switched to Linux years ago, but you have your boot devices in right order--right? Like starting with the USB port. Sorry to ask you about the obvious which you 99% chance did, but I've had a few brain farts doing things that I've done dozens of times and kicked myself later.

You have to disable uefi support in the bios. My Lenovo wouldn't boot Ubuntu with it enabled.

As others have suggested change BIOS to legacy support. Also make sure it didn't set any secure boot settings when Win10 was installed.

Now that you mention it, I did have an Asus laptop for about two hours maybe five years ago. Got hung up on this very issue and returned it that afternoon to Best Buy. Since then, I discovered several YouTubes that dealt with that very subject.

Last edited:
Hmm... I agree that the legacy USB/UEFI options might have something to do with it, but I don't seem to have any options for that. Boot order has "removable device" listed first, then CD-ROM, then HDD. I think this machine was before UEFI, it's about 9 years old. I've looked through the boot options and there are only a few, like enabling boot from LAN and turning num lock on at boot.

Thanks, my BIOS is different from that and didn't have those options. However, when I tried hitting ESC at the BIOS screen, it let me choose what to boot from, and the USB drive was one of them. It worked! Maybe it just won't let you boot from a USB drive unless you intervene and force it. Even if I tried taking the HDD out of the boot options it didn't seem to recognize that the USB was bootable.

It's working now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back