D1G3 to ???

My truck calls for 5w-30 D1G3 oil. Been running PP. I tow about 5000lbs frequently; about half my miles are towing. I want to run something thicker and I'm open to suggestions. I'm considering Pennzoil Euro L or Euro LX. Share your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Mobil 1 5W-40, Quaker State 5W-40, or Castrol Edge 5W-40. All easy to find at Walmart. Pennzoil Euro L/LX are blended for light duty Diesel engines. The ones I mentioned are blended for gasoline performance engines, and performance diesel applications. For towing, where you will have the engine running at high temperatures for extended periods of time, a 0W-anything isn't well suited, unless you're in a very cold climate. 0W oils tend to be blended with thinner base oils and have higher amounts of viacosity modifiers to get to the same operating viscosity as a 5W, 10W, etc.

My truck calls for 5w-30 D1G3 oil. Been running PP. I tow about 5000lbs frequently; about half my miles are towing. I want to run something thicker and I'm open to suggestions. I'm considering Pennzoil Euro L or Euro LX. Share your thoughts and thanks in advance.
What engine/truck?

I don't use g1 g3 in my 2021's 6.2. I've been running quaker state euro 5w-40 but any euro 30 or 40 will do just fine. I am still under both b2b and pt warranty and have no concerns. The dealer never does a uoa, they just check to see if it was at level and if the internals look clean enough.

Since G3 arrived, GF6A oils have 'slowly' thinned out in 5w30. The only two I know of that's still carries an 11+cst@100 are Castrol GTX Synthetic 5w30 and Fram Synthetic. Pennzoil Black Label Synthetic is over 11, but it's not D1 G3.

Neither Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 or Euro LX 0w30 are D1 G3..... last time I looked anyways.

Your Owners Manual states it requires D1 G3????.... or does it say it recommends d1 g3?
Recommended means you are free to use any non d1 g3 and sets you-up nicely to choose either Pennzoil Euro L or the Euro LX.

Before moving to a 5W40 I would run a thicker G1/Gen3 synthetic oil such as M1 , Valvoline Advanced or Quaker Stste Full Synthetic . PP D1 / Gen 3 is on the thin side of the 5W30 oil spectrum .

Honestly, the price leader for your truck is Motomaster OEPlus European 0w30. It's rebranded shell helix ultra and goes on sale around $30Cdn dollarettes every couple of months. Has the same certifications as Pennzoil/QS Euro LX and made by Shell. MB229.51/52, Porsche C30 approvals will take care of your truck.

1703100839195.jpg

I don't use g1 g3 in my 2021's 6.2. I've been running quaker state euro 5w-40 but any euro 30 or 40 will do just fine. I am still under both b2b and pt warranty and have no concerns. The dealer never does a uoa, they just check to see if it was at level and if the internals look clean enough.
B other is using M1 5w40 and ESP X3 0w40 without issue in 6.0 and 08’ Yukon Denali SUV

If you're going euro, I'd use one that meets MB 229.51 or MB 229.52. They're pretty similar to a D1G3 oil, and the standards include engine tests for timing chain wear and LSPI.

If you're going euro, I'd use one that meets MB 229.51 or MB 229.52. They're pretty similar to a D1G3 oil, and the standards include engine tests for timing chain wear and LSPI.
How does MB 229.51/52 compare to API SP as far as timing chain wear? I saw at least one oil that was MB 229.51 but "only" API SN/SN+.

Honestly, the price leader for your truck is Motomaster OEPlus European 0w30. It's rebranded shell helix ultra and goes on sale around $30Cdn dollarettes every couple of months. Has the same certifications as Pennzoil/QS Euro LX and made by Shell. MB229.51/52, Porsche C30 approvals will take care of your truck.

View attachment 193955
Yes, same as Pennzoil Euro LX. I should stock up the next time it's on sale.

How does MB 229.51/52 compare to API SP as far as timing chain wear? I saw at least one oil that was MB 229.51 but "only" API SN/SN+.
Hard to say. They use different engine tests. The Mercedes tests are older and not specific to direct injection engines, though one is a high-soot diesel engine test, and they allow for a lot more stretch than the D8279 test used by API SP and D1G3. ACEA has also adopted this test for newer ACEA C6 and A7/B7 standards.

For engines that are known for timing chain stretch like GDI Fords, I'd probably stick with API SP to be safe.

Why do you suspect you need a heavier oil?

Why do you suspect you need a heavier oil?
Towing. Constant high boost. Only downside for thicker oil is a possible insignificant reduction in mileage. Considering the truck came from the factory with LT tires and a 2" lift, I'm not to worried about fractions of an mpg.

Towing. Constant high boost. Only downside for thicker oil is a possible insignificant reduction in mileage. Considering the truck came from the factory with LT tires and a 2" lift, I'm not to worried about fractions of an mpg.
Did you have an oil analysis done stating the current oil is not holding up? This forum can’t operate without these wanting to use a heavier viscosity oil.

View attachment 193955
It's same oil as Penn Plat Euro LX and is also made n Germany, unlike QS LX.
Only other thing to add - Penn runs MIRs online often and you can actually get it cheaper than MM in the end, I do it every time. I used all 3 - Penn LX, MM and QS LX, QS didn't feel same so I'm not buying it no more.

It's same oil as Penn Plat Euro LX and is also made n Germany, unlike QS LX.
Only other thing to add - Penn runs MIRs online often and you can actually get it cheaper than MM in the end, I do it every time. I used all 3 - Penn LX, MM and QS LX, QS didn't feel same so I'm not buying it no more.
Just deposited my $20 cheque yesterday. True, with the rebate Penn comes out cheaper, but the rebate seems to happen once a year. Had the same impression using QS, but it seems to have all the same approvals as the others and the same specifications so not sure why that happened.

Back