D1 Drain Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman, but will 10W-30 Give me any benefits over 5W-30? And the other way around?

TooSlick, that is a good suggestion. What little difference do you see between the 2 oils?

-Pont

Use either one of them. M1 10w-30 might have a slight edge in maintaining it's viscosity. But based on the Ls1 oil study, both seem to stay in grade very well.

Ok Great. I'll do M1 SS 5W-30 year round with Toyota Oil Filter, and 7k oil interval.
Thanks for the help Guys!
-Pont

quote:

Delvac one is designed for extended drains in OTR trucks, it has a higher TBN, more soot control additives and of coarse has a higher viscosity at 100C, also I would guess that it doesn't contain any friction modifiers like the SS does.

In essence, Delvac 1 does not contain any friction modifiers over and above what the base oil provides.

Wouldn't oil analysis take all the guess work out of trying to figure out the oil change interval or even which SAE to use? If superior filters are in place, then it would be cost effective to have superior engine lubes and filters.

Rudy, it probably would. But I'm probably not the person that would send in an Oil Analysis.

Boxcar- Friction Modifiers lessen friction right? And thats what a gas engine need doesnt it? But I thought that Diesel Engines needed Friction for their Rollers to lift or something.

First their is no reason why you could not run Delvac 1 year round! I think alot of guys question the resoning behind this though. Delvac 1 is alot more expensive and it is usualy not available localy. The 10W30 and 15W50 Mobil 1 oils are shear stable and have good additive systems. You can get them localy and price is often much more affordable. The Mobil 1 is packaged more conviently for consumer usage in 5qt. and 1 qt. containers. I doubt that you would notice much difference in the two Mobil products Mobil 1 v/s Delvac 1 in your situation. Your best bet would be to purchase small amount of each oil and then do UOA to see which oil your engine likes.

quote:

Originally posted by PontTransAm1978:

Boxcar- Friction Modifiers lessen friction right? And thats what a gas engine need doesnt it? But I thought that Diesel Engines needed Friction for their Rollers to lift or something.

That tale gets passes around a lot, but I haven't seen any authoritative source confirming it. Until I do see that authoritative source, I'll consider the thing about diesel engines needing friction in the valve train another shadetree mechanic myth.

Schaeffer is very forthright about the addition of a friction modifier to their diesel lube oil: "Further blended into these 100% paraffinic base oils and polyalphaolefin base stocks, the exceptionally specialized high performance additive package and shear stable viscosity index improver is a proven frictional modifier, Micron Moly®." I haven't heard of any valve train problems...to the contrary, parts wear more slowly and fuel economy is usually improved.
http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/700.htm

Ken

HI,currently,i'm on the road running D-1 in my '99 ford e-150 4.2L six. By august, with 5-6K miles,i hope to get UOA numbers to compare with those from castrol syntec 5w-50.The local Freightliner truck had D-1 for $21/gal. That was not much above M-1 here. If D-1 does not somehow
grin.gif
shine ,I'll forget it for the summer run.
ron

Hi,

I run D1 5w-40 for 60000 miles between OC in my Detroit S60 DDEC4 engines. I have millions of miles/three years experience in this application with splendid OA results. I use Donalson Extended Life filters ( not changed during the oil in sump period ) and a Glacier centrifuge
The oil's viscosity remains stable throughout and the TAN/TBN balance is acceptable
I believe the oil could easily do 100000 mile OCs

I do 7000 mile OC on D1 in my MY02 Subaru Outback 2.5 manual

Regards

I have run mobil 1 5/30 in my 94 4 cylinder toyota since new. 10000 mile oil changes with a filter in between. At 90 plus thousand miles i had to have the 02 sensor replaced and toyota recomended getting the valves adjusted also. When i went back to get the truck there was a note on the bill the mecanic wanted to see me. The service manager went and got the mecanic, he wanted to know what kind of oil i was useing said he had never seen an engine that clean with that many miles on it. Thats a true story (Wills toyota twin falls idaho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back