D1 Drain Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda had this Q in the car Oil forum, but noone answered it
frown.gif
, oh well.
Im plannin on switching to Synthetic at 5k miles in a 4L V6 Toyota 4runner. Although the Manual Says to use a 5w-30 year round, I think that Delvac1 5W-40 would provide better Protection than Mobil1 SuperSyn.

I would like to ask how long do you think I could go for drain intervals using the D1 and a Toyota filters. I am not interested in performing a UOA however. The Manual states that you should not exceed 7500 miles on Synthetic Oil.
Thanks for any future input!

P.S- Same question for Mobil1 5w-30 SS. Just incase the warranty gets on my Concience
grin.gif

Hi, you could go to 7,500 with either safely. I don't really think you will benefit from D1. It's a great oil, but it really shines in big rigs that run thousands of miles. It is a great gas engine oil, and I plan on trying it myself, but I think a 10w-30 for summer and 5w-30 for winter is your best bet. To answer question specifically, I don't know how long D1 will last but I would assumer 1year would be fine. I just havn't seen any results on D1 in gas engines to really know. Maybe someone else can help?
smile.gif

I have a 92 toy 6cyl truck I have run in it5w/ 10w30/40 Redline 0w/5w/10w/30 M1 and Amsoil 5w/40 rotella "syn" and various 15w40 heavy duty oils.My motor still runs great. use any oil except a 20/50 because it is way too thick.my toy is a 10w30 motor the clearances are the samm as the earliest v6 engines Ilooked them up in the repair manual. I think about how the truck will be used as to the oil and length of the oil change.

[ April 11, 2003, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Hey, thanks for the replys guys. I dont think I would run D1 for a year in the car. Thats probably like 23k+ miles. I do however think I could benefit from 5w-40. It does get pretty Hot and Humid here in the summer times.
The car doesnt get beat when driven, but it will tow a 4000#(I think) boat a couple times. Probably To dealer for tune-up, then to water. Then again at the end of the season. 7500 miles seems so long to drain a oil than what Im used to. I love it!
Keep up the good replys!

You might want to also consider Amsoil S3000 5w-30. Excellent oil. The UOA's and talk of this oil are highly regarded.

Buster, unfortunatly I am not willing to order oils, Mainly for the convienience of being able to go to the store and pick up an oil, and the Price.

I am aware that the D1 is very Shear Stable. What about M1 SS 10w-30 and 5w-30? How well do those oils stay in-grade?

I agree and the same way. I use M1 now. I might try Amsoil s3000 later. M1 10w-30 is very shear stable. never thins out from what I see. 5w-30 is stable too, not as much as the 10w-30. D1 is an excellent oil.

This is a new engine and you live in a cold climate. I'd just use Mobil 1, 5w-30 year round up in Maine.

TooSlick

So are we ruling out D1 completely?
tongue.gif
The only reason I ask is that I would Love to have the extra protection in the summer time, as It is very hot and humid here.
How about this:
1. Delvac1 Year round.
2. M1 SS 5W-30 year round.
3. M1 SS 5W-30 in Winter, and M1 SS 10W-30 in Summer.
Thanks for the answers thus far. Keep it up.
-Pont

The delvac oil would work well I just changed out rotella 'syn.5w/40 in Redding Calif.the coldest temp. last winter probably was 29f so t is not very cold. but after 5 months on the rotella my motor still runs. Run it for the summer and give us an uoa. or use m1 10w/30 for the summer and give us an uoa. Synthetic oils do better in cold than petro oils .

D1 year round is probably fine, but I think M1 5w-30 in winter and D1 in summer is better.
smile.gif

Buster, why do you think that 5w-30 would be better in winter than the D1? They are Both 5W when cold right? And when hot, the D1 will be providing more protection. Both are Synthetics.
-Pont

It just depends, you could run D1 all year round, but a 40wt. oil won't necessarily mean that your getting better protection in the summer months. I also wouldn't want a 40wt. oil in Maine. It's just too thick even when the engine is hot. I think wear numbers would be a bit higher IMO> The ht/hs will be higher, but some engines like oils on the lighter side, which is why you really need to do an analysis to see what works best in your engine. Again, this keeps coming up but the jury is still out on 20wt. oils. We always used to assume that a 40wt. will protect better but it's just not that simple. There are other reason why Mobil's first synthetic oil was a 20wt. and why high performance cars like Corvettes only call for M1 5w-30.
smile.gif

[ April 14, 2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Ah, I see your Point. So 5w-30 in Winter Definetly. I'm still bothered as to what oil to use in summer though. I could use 5W-30, 5W-40, or 10W-30. What would be the difference between M1 SS 10w-30 and D1? Would one give me better wear numbers than the other?
-Pont

I don't think you would benefit from using D1 over 10w-30 SS. D1 has a stronger additive package for longer drains, but other then that I don't see where it would help you in your case.
smile.gif

Ah. So I guess if I didnt have to drain the oil all summer and some of fall, that would be a benefit
tongue.gif
. Is there a Huge Price Difference between the Two? And do you think that D1 could go 15k miles, with a Toyota Filter Change at half that?. Or can I go longer. Very Interesting.....
-Pont.

PS- Thanks for great replys!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by PontTransAm1978:
I would like to ask how long do you think I could go for drain intervals using the D1 and a Toyota filters.

My vote goes for 1 once a year or 25,000 miles whichever comes first. I would do filter changes at 5-7 thousand miles or every 3 months.

yes delvac one is not the best choice for you climate/engine

quote:

Originally posted by PontTransAm1978:
So 5w-30 in Winter Definetly. I'm still bothered as to what oil to use in summer though. What would be the difference between M1 SS 10w-30 and D1? Would one give me better wear numbers than the other?
-Pont

I would use a 5w30 or 0w30 based oil year round for your vehicle/climate.

Delvac one is designed for extended drains in OTR trucks, it has a higher TBN, more soot control additives and of coarse has a higher viscosity at 100C, also I would guess that it doesn't contain any friction modifiers like the SS does.

Ok, so No Delvac. You guys have made that Clear enough
smile.gif

Chances are now that I'm going to go with 5W-30 , but lets hear the reasons for not using 10W-30 in the Warmer Months. Aside from an obvious reason, Gas Mileage.
Thanks
wink.gif

-Pont.

You can basically run the Mobil 1, 5w-30 and 10w-30 interchangeably. I'd just get a case of one or the other and run that year round. I see little difference in these two oils in terms of performance.

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back