CVT Transmissions-Long term durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
They must be pretty confident in them - they are touting 5000 pounds towing capacity in the Ascent. Fully loaded, that's close to 10K pounds!

This forum generally hates CVTs. Your not going to get a lot of unbiased information.

It will probably last fine as long as you change the fluid regularly. Castrol makes a great CVT fluid at a good price on Amazon
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Yeah but when a belt style CVT fails it's usually catastrophic and throws all the metal teeth in the belt all over the place where as with a standard automatic transmission it usually just starts slipping and can be rebuilt.

I've been following these things for over 10yrs and I've yet to see one fail in the way you describe. Not saying they can't, just curious..

The belt vs. chain argument is an interesting one as well. Chains have tons of moving parts, where these CVT belts are basically held together by layers of steel bands. No moving parts per se.

Last edited:
You are kidding right? You might want to spend some time over at Youtube. Lots of videos there where the transmissions spewed teeth from the belt everywhere when it failed.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
You are kidding right? You might want to spend some time over at Youtube. Lots of videos there where the transmissions spewed teeth from the belt everywhere when it failed.

One YouTube video from around June 2017?

There's lots of videos on other issues associated with Nissan/Jatco problems shown.

You can find lots of videos on Youtube to support what ever argument one wants to make on just about anything.

How many videos are posted with the caption-"I really abused this vehicle-look what I did to the transmission". OR-I abused vehicle-the manufacturer knows I did-no warranty coverage so I'm pis*ed and posting this on YOUTUBE.

YouTube is a waste of time for anything but entertainment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

How many videos are posted with the caption-"I really abused this vehicle-look what I did to the transmission". OR-I abused vehicle-the manufacturer knows I did-no warranty coverage so I'm pis*ed and posting this on YOUTUBE.

I'm actually curious to see how well Toyota's new CVT is holding up - seeing how many Corollas are bought to serve as rentals, car shares, Ubers and driven by people who consider driving into Jiffy Lube "maintenance". It's also a belt-based CVT.

What I meant was you can see in the videos that it throws teeth from the belt everywhere. Not what cause the failure in the first place. The point I was getting at is when the belt goes whether be it from abuse or because it just wore out, the teeth come flying off and it's a catastrophic failure.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
2007 Nissan Maxima CVT that I previously had was not smooth and just kinda annoying to drive. It was well known the [censored] the bed but the one in my 07 is at 140k and still just fine. I sold it January 17. I did get a 17 Subby Outback that has a CVT. I have 21k on it now. It is smooth and quiet and I've adjusted to it pretty readily. I'm on the plus side if it's the RIGHT CVT.

wondering how these things are around years 9-10+. Did yours start making loud whining noises or was just the gears not being smooth?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Somebody mentioned the 100kmile warranty on Subaru CVTs, it's probably worth mentioning that this was extended after the fact for my 2014 FXT and my daughter's 2015 Impreza.

I just got a warranty extension letter (from five years to ten) for our 2015 Forester, too. I haven't heard of many of the Subaru CVTs breaking unless the owner put the wrong fluid in there, so it's probably a peace-of-mind thing.

Quote:
Supposedly this lag is much less noticeable in a WRX with a very similar engine and (I think) the same transmission.

The WRX has 'launch control'. The FXT doesn't. Kind of weird, since the engine and transmission are basically the same and it's purely a software feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back