Volkswagen Jetta vs. Toyota Corolla ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: dja4260
My mother-in-law had a 2014 Corolla. The CVT trans went out at 68k. She traded it in on another Corolla which completely blows my mind and makes zero sense. No warranty and a $4500+ repair.

No thank you!

That's the first I've heard of the Toyota CVT giving up--I'm sure it's happened to others, anything can fail, and I expect all transmissions to fail (eventually).

I'm not following your line of thought though. Are you saying it makes no sense to buy another model, even though it might be just as prone to dying an early death? I'm not sure if I'd agree, surely there are other Corolla CVT's with far higher mileage.

Also, was the $4,500 the amount the dealer wanted to repair? I'ad agree, that is cheaper than a new car, but maybe she just wanted a new car?

I should have been more specific. MY MIL doesn't make good money and works very hard for what she has. She doesn't know anything about cars. She still owed a significant amount on her Corolla. I knew she was having problems with the trans. She went to the dealer have it scanned to further determine the issue. While waiting, a salesman offered her XXXX amount as a trade in. She test drove a new Corolla and two hours later drove off the lot with another 5 years of payments. She didn't want to "bother me". They gave her 8K for the Corolla and she was taken advantage of when it was all said and done.

I find it amazing that her dealer serviced Corolla's transmission failed, and she was so quick to buy another with the exact same powertrain....It would be different if she had alot of money. Obviously, it's not my money so I kept my mouth shut and congratulated her. It was a head-scratching ordeal.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation--no, that doesn't make sense, I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back