[Cut Open] PH7317 Virgin x3 (Orange/Blue/Black)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just imagine if you could be one of the lucky people who found an orange can with a purple ADBV, that's like Charlie finding the golden ticket to the chocolate factory. I've heard that those cans have an aura of greatness glowing from them ๐ŸŽ†

What's with the "shark bites" on the black ADBV? Haven't seen that before, so wonder if the shape of that black ADBV isn't matched to the base plate like the others. Fram maybe be substituting an inappropriate black ADBV.

I will try to take a video later.

If you fold the edges together in the freezer.

Black is obviously not the same material as the orange. It takes a long time to return to shape. The orange is much quicker. The blue just snaps back nearly instantly.

Last edited:

Black is obviously not the same material as the orange. It takes a long time to return to shape. The orange is much quicker. The blue just snaps back nearly instantly.

Sounds the same as the other test, black is nitrile, orange and blue/purple sound like they are silicone. Sounds like the blue might be higher grade silicone if its even more responsive.

Next up is the burn test!

So FRAM is putting out false products now? ๐Ÿ˜

Why does Subaru use a blue 'Fram-a-roo' with nitrile adbv? Honda uses a silicone rubber on their blue 'fronda' filters,. Is Subaru cheaping out to sacrifice even a higher % of their 'loose grenade pin' engines? Man!
I ran a "classic" Ultra on the wife's new subaru for OCI#1 but the filter "glued" itself to mount face. Is this a new, leak proof but un-serviceable gasket material?
What the hey is going on? This is supposed to be easy.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Thanks for sacrificing three good filters for the interest of the members.
The results are as expected. They could be assessed by looking into the inlet holes.
Silicone rubber is susceptible to tearing, maybe the blue is a trial of some advance/ modified material.

So FRAM is putting out false products now? ๐Ÿ˜
They look like servicebale oil filters to me :)

The Date code stamper is different on the filter with the nitrile adbv.
Maybe from a different facility or line within the facility. Maybe the result of supply chain and resultant shortages.
Working as a manufacturing engineer for many decades, I can see a line supervisor pulling component stock out of MRB to fulfill the weekly production plan quota.

The results are as expected. They could be assessed by looking into the inlet holes.
Silicone rubber is susceptible to tearing, maybe the blue is a trial of some advance/ modified material.
I commented in another thread that blue is typical of fluoro-silicone which is a superior material but more expensive.
Then within any class of materials there is a range of options/properties. So, who really knows.

I think bottom line:
orange/blue = good,
black = possibly inferior

I was being generous. I stop at those poorly cut holes with jagged edges. They look like a high school metal shop did them.

Why does Subaru use a blue 'Fram-a-roo' with nitrile adbv? Honda uses a silicone rubber on their blue 'fronda' filters,. Is Subaru cheaping out to sacrifice even a higher % of their 'loose grenade pin' engines? Man!
I ran a "classic" Ultra on the wife's new subaru for OCI#1 but the filter "glued" itself to mount face. Is this a new, leak proof but un-serviceable gasket material?
What the hey is going on? This is supposed to be easy.

Subaru only intends on having their filter used for a maximum of 6,000 miles and a nitrile ADBV should suffice. Honda states that their filter can be used for two consecutive oil change intervals, up to 20,000 miles total which would constitute the need for a silicone ADBV :)

I was being generous. I stop at those poorly cut holes with jagged edges. They look like a high school metal shop did them.
I agree. That has always been the biggest falldown with me choosing FRAM was the poor quality stamping on the inlet windows near or into the radius at the base thread - which is also not de-burred.
Are they too cost controlled to tumble these baseplates like most ALL the other guys do?

That makes two controlled (orange vs black adbv) freezer tests by different members, both indicating black to be other than silicone adbv. Imo, more evidence nitrile used. I'd like to say I'm surprised, not so much. As they are very common now, supply chain issues are an acceptable explanation.

Thanks for freezer test.

Last edited:
I agree. That has always been the biggest falldown with me choosing FRAM was the poor quality stamping on the inlet windows near or into the radius at the base thread - which is also not de-burred.
Are they too cost controlled to tumble these baseplates like most ALL the other guys do?

Yep and since you mentioned Tokyo Roki earlier, there is a example of a filter that is manufactured very well. You wonโ€™t see any of that sloppiness with their filters.

That makes two controlled (orange vs black adbv) freezer tests by different members, both indicating black to be other than silicone adbv. Imo, more evidence nitrile used. I'd like to say I'm surprised, not so much. As they are very common now, supply chain issues are an acceptable explanation.

Thanks for freezer test.
Plus the fire test also confirmed the black ADBV was nitrile. The flame test is probably easier and more viable than the freezer test.

I apologize if I miss anyones question.

It is difficult to take a meaningful video... one thing even a good video can't show is the difference in resistance to bending the black is very stiff and overall it just feels different... both it and the blue one are much thicker - yet the blue one pops right back into shape like neither of the other two do, but the orange one is quite thin by comparison...

I haven't given up on the video or the fire test... might be a while but i'll get to it... Ive read that silicone will not ignite until about 800F so I'm trying to figure something thats under that but well above 400 or so... I don't have a soldering iron here, and mine is a butane one anyway.

I also wonder if there is a readily available solvent that could be relied upon to attack / dissolve Nitrile but not Silicone.

Plus the fire test also confirmed the black ADBV was nitrile. The flame test is probably easier and more viable than the freezer test.
I went back and re-read entire thread saw no fire test done before my comment. Only saw Overkill comment saying, 'next up'. Nor did a read a fire test in initial ph7317 adbv thread.

Either way, quite frankly 'I' don't need fire test to confirm two controlled adbv freezer tests by two different members mentioning similar/same result. And I appreciate both members doing those tests.

At this point, I'm going with an' Accam's razor' type conclusion, in all likelihood the black adbv is a nitrile one. And it is easily explained by supply chain issues. But Fram admitting that "publicly" now, leaves them with a problem because it still says silicone on the box and also website. Less so with the latter.

Looks like a loud complaint will get someone a case of FREE filters if they talk to the right guy at corporate.
.... or maybe 1 free filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back