[Cut open] Mazda PE01 14 302A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below are some pics of the factory filter off the CX-5. It was replaced with an identical Mazda filter purchased from Amazon. Used Mag1 0w20, also from Amazon. A great buy at $18.xx with no fuss of waiting on a sale or rebate.

Filter had 1,169 miles on it. I like doing the first change around 1k miles and since today hit 50*F, seemed like the perfect opportunity.

First thing you'll notice is no ADBV, the replacement didn't have one either. Mazda must not feel that it's important with a threaded end up orientation. Also, the filter definitely contained some residue. Didn't look very metallic in nature, more of a dull white flake like appearance. Something from assembly I'm sure, which reinforces my reasoning to do an OC so early on in the car's life. The last picture crudely shows what I'm talking about, on the bottom of the filter you'll see something that reflects the flash of the camera.

Looks great and your pics put mine to shame
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
He was smart and ran it that short of mileage to get break in metals out.

This. Unless a vehicle comes with break-in oil, Honda for instance, I like doing the first oil change at around 1k miles. To get any initial break-in metals out of the system.

Originally Posted By: car51
He was smart and ran it that short of mileage to get break in metals out.

+1. ^^^^THIS^^^^
Also, I found this on a MAZDA website online;
This is straight from the Mazda owners manual;
BREAK-IN PERIOD
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 600 miles should be observed.
• Do not race the engine.
• Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
• Avoid full-throttle starts.
• Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
• Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.

I could not find anything specific about the MAZDA engine factory oil fill, but, I am sure if I had done a more thorough search I could have.
The link below does explain about break in and the factory oil fill.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092906_do-you-still-have-to-break-in-a-new-car

BTW, that is a very nice looking filter. If that is the "FACTORY OIL FILL" filter only then it's a shame. But, if that filter is what MAZDA sells every day then I would definitely continue using it at every OCI.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

No special break in periods.

I like their filters but I don't like their price!

Rated for 5k which is insanely short.

For the money I can get a Fram Ultra and run it for 2 OCI

What year CX-5, and what engine? My wife has a 2016, still with the factory fill.

I have my vehicles in the "amazon garage", and when I search for "PE01 14 302A", it says that it does not fit my Mazda. There are no other OEM alternatives. Maybe cuz it is a new. I've never crawled under the car to see what filter it has.

The dealer said that they do use break-in oil, but I am not sure how knowledgeable he was. I thought I would cover my bases and just keep the factory oil in.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
What year CX-5, and what engine? My wife has a 2016, still with the factory fill.

I have my vehicles in the "amazon garage", and when I search for "PE01 14 302A", it says that it does not fit my Mazda. There are no other OEM alternatives. Maybe cuz it is a new. I've never crawled under the car to see what filter it has.

The dealer said that they do use break-in oil, but I am not sure how knowledgeable he was. I thought I would cover my bases and just keep the factory oil in.

I have a '16.5. This is the correct filter for the 2.5l starting in '14. I believe, but please double check, that this is the same folder for the 2.0l as well.

No, Mazda doesn't use break in oil. They do however have a break-in period which is shown above.

Nice center tube holes.

Are they sharp, aka will they grab onto a qtip swab if pushed thru

Or

Are the holes smooth and rounded like good allen keys are chamfered?

I dont know what to call the characteristic of the holes I am thinking of. Were they punched smooth and routed the roughness to make it where it wont feel sharp.....like polishing a port and polished head?

Originally Posted By: RamFan

I have a '16.5. This is the correct filter for the 2.5l starting in '14. I believe, but please double check, that this is the same folder for the 2.0l as well.

No, Mazda doesn't use break in oil. They do however have a break-in period which is shown above.

Did you have to remove the big cowling sheet to get to the drain and filter? I've yet to change the oil, so I am wondering what I am up against.

Looks like a good filter for the price. I'll probably start using them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamFan

Did you have to remove the big cowling sheet to get to the drain and filter? I've yet to change the oil, so I am wondering what I am up against.

Looks like a good filter for the price. I'll probably start using them.

No you just have to remove the small oil change window. Two screws and three clips to pull out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back