Mazda Skyactiv PE01-14-302A-MV Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Mazda part number, PE01-14-302A-MV, filter has been cut open and posted before, so I'll just show a couple views that weren't in that post and an imperfection that caught my attention.

The gasket between the top of the filter element and the baseplate is distorted. It's difficult to tell if the distortion is enough to result in a leak. The gasket is either plastic or dense rubber--it's pretty hard. I have no way to know how good the filter media is, but the overall design of the filter is impressive. Too bad there's evidence that manufacturing quality control leaves something to be desired.

I replaced the filter with the Thai-made Mazda 1WPE-14-302, which is considerably different than the Mexican-made PE01-14-302A-MV.

A heavy, if weirdly shaped, spring:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The bypass valve has a bit of texture on its surface. Probably plastic or nylon:

Sturdy metal end caps and nicely spaced pleats, but notice that the gasket on top is skewed:

Here's a view of the distorted portion of the gasket:

Around the rest of the periphery the gasket looks like this:

While the centertube gasket appearance is disconcerting, as long as there was a seal of some sort maintained to the endcap, should be ok. I'd expect it's made of nitrile. Coil springs ime with Napa Gold/(wix), do tend to exert significant pressure to hold the element in place. Otherwise, the element itself looks serviceable.

I found a similar type defect with an oem/oes Gonher Mexico coo Nissan filter posted here. In that case I think the seal could well have been compromised. I suppose what it shows is just because it's oem/oes doesn't always guarantee it's the best quality.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Mulligan
A heavy, if weirdly shaped, spring:

It's only weirdly shaped if you've not seen a lot of springs that are designed to compress to a shorter length than [number of turns] x [wire thickness].

I've heard nothing but good things about the Thailand sourced filters for Mazda. See if your dealer stocks these.

Mazda 1WPE-14-302

There are Japanese made Roki filters but those are for the JDM market and pretty much unavailable here. Some sellers online will say they are selling these but you will get the Mexican value filters instead. Bait and switch.

I live in Washington and my dealer sells the Thailand filter.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I've heard nothing but good things about the Thailand sourced filters for Mazda. See if your dealer stocks these.

Mazda 1WPE-14-302

There are Japanese made Roki filters but those are for the JDM market and pretty much unavailable here. Some sellers online will say they are selling these but you will get the Mexican value filters instead. Bait and switch.

I live in Washington and my dealer sells the Thailand filter.

That or just get a Wix 57002, which is designed specifically for Skyactiv engines, and is cheaper and easier to find. $6 each on Amazon, and even the local parts stores here stock them.

Our 2018 Mazda 6 (2.5 turbo) came with PY8W-14-302 installed. This is a Japanese Roki that is available at the dealer, and Wix crosses with 57002 (but Fram and others cross with the more common 6607).

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
What oil and how many miles?

Less than 4000 miles (believe it or not), but it had been a year. I no longer have a commute to work, so I didn't drive much over the past year. I just changed the oil to meet the service schedule requirement to change yearly, regardless of mileage. The previous fill was from the dealer-provided complementary first service, and they claim it was Castrol Edge 0W-20. I guess I believe them.

I'm aware of the Wix 57002 filter. In fact, I bought one a few months ago, intending to use it. However, I later decided to stick with a Mazda filter, so bought the Thailand-made 1WPE-14-302 and used that. Also used Castrol Edge 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back