[Cut Open] Wix 57002 - 7,084 Miles

Behold! The fabled "custom" Wix filter made exclusively for the Mazda Skyactiv platform. As you can see from the C&P, not much custom about it. This filter was in use for a little over 7k miles and two days shy of eight months. Held up great and would definitely use again, in fact, it was replaced with another 57002. However, I wouldn't bend over backwards to use ONLY this or OE filters like some Mazda fans claim. To compare with other filter options you can compare to the following; Denso 150-2002, Fram XG6607, Mazda PE01 14 302A, and Purolator PL14612.
Wix 1.jpg
Wix 2.jpg
Wix 3.jpg
Wix 4.jpg
Wix 5.jpg
Wix 6.jpg
Wix 7.jpg
Wix 8.jpg
Wix 9.jpg

Thanks for the C&P. The first obvious difference i see with this filter from the Mazda Roki filters is the metal end cap on the media. The Roki doesn’t have one.

Thanks for the C&P. Filter looks good. Is that black gunk in the pics solid or just some clumps of oil or carbon?
Kind of solid/tacky. You can see my finger swipe between the fifth and sixth picture and it wasn't a very clean swipe. Haven't encountered that before and will keep an eye out for it in the future.

Yeah like the 6607 size... Weedeater approved.

For another comparison I just looked at my bottle of Aleve in the kitchen. It’s bigger than the filter.

Just show you don’t need a oil filter the size of a coffee can to do the job.

Thanks for the cut. The media on the thailand mazda 1wpe is larger, but also no endcap. They're all decent filters, but nothing special. Bypass on Fram or M1 is the same. I used M1 108a for a year and a half ($5-6 after rebate) with no incident. Filters with ADBV make no difference despite the fact that OEM doesnt have one.

Behold! The fabled "custom" Wix filter made exclusively for the Mazda Skyactiv platform. As you can see from the C&P, not much custom about it. This filter was in use for a little over 7k miles and two days shy of eight months. Held up great and would definitely use again, in fact, it was replaced with another 57002. However, I wouldn't bend over backwards to use ONLY this or OE filters like some Mazda fans claim. To compare with other filter options you can compare to the following; Denso 150-2002, Fram XG6607, Mazda PE01 14 302A, and Purolator PL14612.
View attachment 33574View attachment 33575View attachment 33576View attachment 33577View attachment 33578View attachment 33579View attachment 33580View attachment 33581View attachment 33582
Did you cut anymore of them?

Does a DI engine cause more slime and deposits inside the filter in photos 5 & 6 ?

Last edited:
Does a DI engine cause more slime and deposits inside the filter in photos 5 & 6 ?
Not sure if it’s DI related. The deposits showed up after a round of Techron and B12 were put in the tank, I suspect that played a role.

Back