[Cut Open] Honda 15400-PLM-A02, (4,863 Miles)

Yes to a point. The P gasket on the base of the Honda part is worth its weight in gold.

No Weeping or leaks ... Ever.
I believe the Fram has a spring in the ADBV. What is the P Gasket, the one between the engine and the filter? Why is it special?

I believe the Fram has a spring in the ADBV. What is the P Gasket, the one between the engine and the filter? Why is it special?
I believe you are referring to the dome bypass piece with the spring. The P type sealing gasket is called that because the flat outer part of the gasket tucks under a base plate metal flange all the way around the filter. The sealing inner/central part of the gasket is rounded in shape like an o-ring, instead of more common flat type. Thus, P-type, gasket. The design makes it unlikely the gasket will be left on engine block when filter removed. Hope that explains it.

Personally, I don't agree that the P type gasket "worth its weight in gold". I've never had an issue with the flat gasket. Ironically only gasket leak issue I've had was a Quick Lane dealer installed Toyota Denso with P type gasket. I believe it was overtightened because when I tried to tighten it some to stop the oil leak, it made no difference. Dealer replaced it foc. I will say, for what my local Honda dealer wants for the A02, they may think it's worth it's weight in gold. ;)

To topic, this one looks fine. Just not a filter I use for the Hondas I maintain.

Thanks for c&p.

Last edited:
Looks good, thanks for sharing. This is what I have gone back to using on my Accord after years of Fram Ultras.
I actually went the opposite direction, from using Honda A02's to Fram Ultra's.
Is there any reason you left Fram Ultra's (besides the wavy pleats)?

I believe you are referring to the dome bypass piece with the spring. The P type sealing gasket is called that because the flat outer part of the gasket tucks under a base plate metal flange all the way around the filter. The sealing inner/central part of the gasket is rounded in shape like an o-ring, instead of more common flat type. Thus, P-type, gasket. The design makes it unlikely the gasket will be left on engine block when filter removed. Hope that explains it.

Personally, I don't agree that the P type gasket "worth its weight in gold". I've never had an issue with the flat gasket. Ironically only gasket leak issue I've had was a Quick Lane dealer installed Toyota Denso with P type gasket. I believe it was overtightened because when I tried to tighten it some to stop the oil leak, it made no difference. Dealer replaced it foc. I will say, for what my local Honda dealer wants for the A02, they may think it's worth it's weight in gold. ;)

To topic, this one looks fine. Just not a filter I use for the Hondas I maintain.

Thanks for c&p.
I had at least 3 or 4 leak instances and a somewhat recent gasket "melting" to the mounting surface on an FB using a Fram XP.

The worst one was on a Subaru EJ 253 with a Wix. Installed of course with a cap wrench and a ratchet to get between the massively shielded catcons.

Once bitten twice shy. Bitten many times, QUITE shy.

But No issues to report so far with Motorcraft on my Ford 2.0. Flat gasket.

Back