Not open for further replies.
This is a Suspect A01 from Amazon. See:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...m-a01-or-am-i-being-paranoid#Post4984055

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The discoloration appears to be some sort of oil, probably a corrosion inhibitor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Examination under magnification it appears the line between the diamond and the dot may be a tool skip or drag.

I believe this filter is genuine.

Thank you DuckRyder for another excellent cut and post. This A01 just wont die on this forum.. I cannot resist reading and have been doing so for years..as i was once a Honda fanboy. I honestly believe if it was available at Walmart it would lose all its mystique and charm.. but since we have to buy it from dark alleys and the innerwebs... it has become an adventure.

Here is a quote from ThirdeYe "My car made it to 571k using bulk oil changes every 8-9k. Just saying. Still going strong at almost 576k after I took over the maintenance on it after buying it. Still squeaky clean under the valve cover, too" His current signature (07 Honda Accord - 608k - Havoline High Mileage 5W-20/Purolator Synthetic PSL14610)..

I have always wondered what the A01 did so well to keep the chase going? And yes i would buy it if it was at Walmart.. just because i still have a bit of that fanboy in me but its diminishing with the price/construction/availability of the Fram Ultra.

The stamped parts have the normal residue of the stamping lube, and also some residue of the steel mill oil - for rust protection. The dot on the star is either a production shift indicator, 1 dot = day shift, or it is a cavity indicator. If the stamping die makes 2 or more parts per cycle of the press, you want to know what cavity the part came from if there is a problem with the parts.

That the dot and the star are all linked is because they are one unit in the stamping die, the linking of these emboss features makes it a bit stronger.

The filter looks great.

Nice photos DuckRyder. Looking at the ends of the pleats, I'm wondering how far down the glue is. If you stick a thin wire down in the end of the pleats how far does is travel in before hitting the glue?

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Thank you DuckRyder for another excellent cut and post. This A01 just wont die on this forum.. I cannot resist reading and have been doing so for years..as i was once a Honda fanboy. I honestly believe if it was available at Walmart it would lose all its mystique and charm.. but since we have to buy it from dark alleys and the innerwebs... it has become an adventure.

People on car forums seek out the A01 because it isn't made by Fram. I think it is silly to seek out a filter with no end caps to avoid "cardboard" endcaps, but it isn't my time or money, so who am I to judge? Meanwhile everyone else's Honda engine outlasts the rest of the car on jobber oil filters from the quick lube or a Fram made A02 from the dealer.

As far as I'm concerned, both filters are fine but not worth of going through any extra effort or expense to buy.

Originally Posted by jim302
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

People on car forums seek out the A01 because it isn't made by Fram. I think it is silly to seek out a filter with no end caps to avoid "cardboard" endcaps, but it isn't my time or money, so who am I to judge? Meanwhile everyone else's Honda engine outlasts the rest of the car on jobber oil filters from the quick lube or a Fram made A02 from the dealer.

As far as I'm concerned, both filters are fine but not worth of going through any extra effort or expense to buy.

Thats true.. However you can get HAMP oil filters very easy on amazon or ebay.... no problem to find.. also... i have been using FULL Oil filter with M pleat technogy and they seem to be awesome filters and i get them for a few $ at work...

Its just something about the A01 that makes honda fan boys feel nice and warm.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Is this the oem that the Honda dealerships will now be carrying? I like it!!

Most dealers have the A02 aka Fram TG...

Im not sure if they keep the A01s for themselves or what... However its hard to find one at a dealer... Most times you have to go on Amazon or Ebay and hope you get lucky..
Or you can always get a HAMP oil filter and its basically the same as the A01 if not better.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back